Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Adding Samsung as RAM Supplier for iPhone 6




Samsung will reportedly supply Apple with RAM for the iPhone 6, according to a report from Digitimes. Samsung's return to Apple's list of RAM suppliers for the iPhone comes after it was excluded from the list in 2013, with Apple electing to partner with SK Hynix and Elpida Memory for the iPhone 5s.

The logic board of the iPhone 5s featuring 1GB of RAM
Quote:
Apple made a drastic move to begin expelling Samsung from its supplier list for a number of key components, including application processors, mobile RAM, NAND flash chips and batteries, starting 2013, the sources noted.
The report adds that Elpida and SK Hynix have become unsatisfied with Apple's buying price for the components. With Elpida and SK Hynix reluctant to increase their shipments because of the dispute, Apple has once again added Samsung into its RAM supplier list to ensure a steady launch supply for the iPhone 6. Samsung had also previously supplied RAM to Apple for the iPhone 5 in 2012.

Apple has diversified its supply chain in recent years in an attempt to reduce its reliance on its rival Samsung, however the Korean company's reputation for mass producing components with quality has made them a favorable choice. It was reported recently that Apple's supply chain diversification has hit Samsung's chip manufacturing business, as Samsung has been Apple's only manufacturer of Apple A-series processors over the past few years.

The iPhone 6 will be unveiled at an event on September 9, and will likely be sold about a week or so later. It is also possible that the 4.7-inch version will launch ahead of the 5.5-inch version, as the latter is said to be experiencing production issues. In addition to a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to feature a thinner chassis, a faster A8 processor, an improved camera and iOS 8. While it is not known how much RAM the iPhone 6 will contain, some features in iOS 8 may require Apple to give the handset an adequate amount of RAM for smooth performance.

Article Link: Apple Adding Samsung as RAM Supplier for iPhone 6
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:09 AM   #2
farewelwilliams
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
come back to papa
farewelwilliams is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:09 AM   #3
Milese3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Southampton - United Kingdom
I really hope the iPhone 6 gets 2GB of RAM.
__________________
iMac - Late 2013 (Maxed) - OS X Yosemite Developer Preview (Build 7)
iPhone 6 Plus - 64GB, Space Grey
Milese3 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Hope I don't get the last batch of memory from SK Hynix right after they found out Apple won't be using them anymore lol
Medic311 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:36 AM   #5
osofast240sx
macrumors 68020
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
come back to papa
??did the ever leave??
osofast240sx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
Apple Adding Samsung as RAM Supplier for iPhone 6

Ugh. I thought Apple was moving away from Samsung. Why are they doing this?
Brandon263 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:53 AM   #7
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 192.168.1.1
I don't care what people think.... <3 Samsung

.... /runs away
RightMACatU is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:58 AM   #8
Mattsasa
macrumors 68000
 
Mattsasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Send a message via AIM to Mattsasa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milese3 View Post
I really hope the iPhone 6 gets 2GB of RAM.
hope so too
Mattsasa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Pair
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
Hope I don't get the last batch of memory from SK Hynix right after they found out Apple won't be using them anymore lol
Why? You wouldn't want their RAM in your phone because they are not providing more to Apple anymore (your imaginary case). huh?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
Ugh. I thought Apple was moving away from Samsung. Why are they doing this?
Why are you asking?

The article claims that the reason they are using Samsung are because of pricing disputes with their other suppliers.
Pair is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Brandon263
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beaumont, CA
Apple Adding Samsung as RAM Supplier for iPhone 6

There must be other options, though. There's just something icky about dealing with a company whose leaders regularly engage in criminal activity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/30/bu...sung.html?_r=0


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair View Post
Why are you asking?

The article claims that the reason they are using Samsung are because of pricing disputes with their other suppliers.
Brandon263 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:14 AM   #11
kcamfork
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pair View Post
Why? You wouldn't want their RAM in your phone because they are not providing more to Apple anymore (your imaginary case). huh?



Why are you asking?

The article claims that the reason they are using Samsung are because of pricing disputes with their other suppliers.
Buzz Killington strikes again.
kcamfork is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:15 AM   #12
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:34 AM   #13
GenesisST
macrumors 65816
 
GenesisST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I live
Nerds are crying
__________________
Kenmore microwave, Frigidaire oven, Fisher & Paykel fridge, LG washer & Dryer and Crane toilet
GenesisST is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:45 AM   #14
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816
 
keysofanxiety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
Ugh. I thought Apple was moving away from Samsung. Why are they doing this?
Like or loathe Samsung, they do make some excellent components. If Apple's petulance towards Samsung's morals meant they had to source poorer quality components at a higher price, this wouldn't benefit anybody.
__________________
- "How can anyone do a spoken word version of a rap song?"
- "He found a way ... he found a way."
keysofanxiety is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:02 AM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Heh. So much for moving away from Samsung. Needs must I guess.
__________________
roadbloc is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:31 AM   #16
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a
 
69Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Like or loathe Samsung, they do make some excellent components. If Apple's petulance towards Samsung's morals meant they had to source poorer quality components at a higher price, this wouldn't benefit anybody.
+1. For me, what goes on between Samsung and Apple is their business. I couldn't care less. Just get me the best product possible.

I guess SKH and Elpida realized too late that chasing high volume, low margin business is not the most attractive proposition for long term viability. I've seen many a business gain a contract by low bidding or accepting razor thin margins, only to complain later they aren't making any money. I usually have one word for them: forethought.
__________________
I own products from Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, and a ton of other companies. All of it works and does exactly what I want it to do. Personal use case. Nothing else matters.

Last edited by 69Mustang; Aug 22, 2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: exchanged volume with revenue. makes more sense.
69Mustang is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:32 AM   #17
realeric
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Like or loathe Samsung, they do make some excellent components. If Apple's petulance towards Samsung's morals meant they had to source poorer quality components at a higher price, this wouldn't benefit anybody.
Yes, Samesung makes "some" quality components such as refrigerators at a higher price but they also makes poorer quality components at a cheaper price such as pentile amoled screen, mobile ram, printers, air conditioner, etc. SK Hynix's RAM is the best but it's not cheap. Samesung's RAM will be just fine if it's cheaper.
realeric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:43 AM   #18
newyorksole
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LongIsland/NYC
If the 5.5" has 2GB and the 4.7" has 1GB, I think I might have my answer on which to purchase ...
newyorksole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:04 AM   #19
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
Yes, Samesung makes "some" quality components such as refrigerators at a higher price but they also makes poorer quality components at a cheaper price such as pentile amoled screen, mobile ram, printers, air conditioner, etc. SK Hynix's RAM is the best but it's not cheap. Samesung's RAM will be just fine if it's cheaper.
A refrigerator isn't a component. Neither are air conditioners or printers. Clearly their mobile RAM is not poorer quality.

The fact that you use "samesung" in your post says to me you're too emotionally involved.
samcraig is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:08 AM   #20
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Costa Mesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mustang View Post
+1. For me, what goes on between Samsung and Apple is their business. I couldn't care less. Just get me the best product possible.

I guess SKH and Elpida realized too late that chasing high revenue, low margin business is not the most attractive proposition for long term viability. I've seen many a business gain a contract by low bidding or accepting razor thin margins, only to complain later they aren't making any money. I usually have one word for them: forethought.
I think you meant high volume, low margin.
I agree with your point, these companies have probably gotten by with razor thin margins and Apple probably wants to decrease the cost, not pay more.
duffman9000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:25 AM   #21
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a
 
69Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In between a rock and a hard place
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman9000 View Post
I think you meant high volume, low margin.
I agree with your point, these companies have probably gotten by with razor thin margins and Apple probably wants to decrease the cost, not pay more.
I think you're right. High volume. I'm in tech sales. I've lost bids refusing to be the cheapest. More times than not I've re-gained that lost business because the winning bidder became unhappy with their win and the service reflected that. We sell on value, not cost.

You're doubly right regarding Apple. I'm sure they put downward pressure on suppliers to increase their (Apple) profit. For the smaller suppliers I'm pretty sure it's pretty hard to turn away from the revenue Apple could mean to their business. It's after they realize the small profits when the disappointment comes.
__________________
I own products from Apple, Samsung, Google, MS, and a ton of other companies. All of it works and does exactly what I want it to do. Personal use case. Nothing else matters.
69Mustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:38 AM   #22
macguyindc
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
Heh. So much for moving away from Samsung. Needs must I guess.
Wait....this doesn't make sense. Didn't Apple acquire Anobit to help ease the supply chain for iPhone??
macguyindc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:33 AM   #23
Abazigal
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
Looks like there are still some things only the devil can offer...
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Like or loathe Samsung, they do make some excellent components. If Apple's petulance towards Samsung's morals meant they had to source poorer quality components at a higher price, this wouldn't benefit anybody.
What about Samsung's components are better than others? They sell commoditized chips, anyone can make them, and they all have the same quality control. Samsung just happens to be better at pricing them due to various reasons including higher yield due to better manufacturing methods. But the end product is exactly the same - a chip.
Iconoclysm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:17 AM   #25
Alenore
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon263 View Post
There's just something icky about dealing with a company whose leaders regularly engage in criminal activity.
Criminal activities like anti-poaching agreements and ebooks price fixing, or tax evasion via Ireland?
Wait.
Alenore is offline   12 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC