Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung will reportedly supply Apple with RAM for the iPhone 6, according to a report from Digitimes. Samsung's return to Apple's list of RAM suppliers for the iPhone comes after it was excluded from the list in 2013, with Apple electing to partner with SK Hynix and Elpida Memory for the iPhone 5s.

iphone_5s_logic_board2.jpg
The logic board of the iPhone 5s featuring 1GB of RAM​
Apple made a drastic move to begin expelling Samsung from its supplier list for a number of key components, including application processors, mobile RAM, NAND flash chips and batteries, starting 2013, the sources noted.
The report adds that Elpida and SK Hynix have become unsatisfied with Apple's buying price for the components. With Elpida and SK Hynix reluctant to increase their shipments because of the dispute, Apple has once again added Samsung into its RAM supplier list to ensure a steady launch supply for the iPhone 6. Samsung had also previously supplied RAM to Apple for the iPhone 5 in 2012.

Apple has diversified its supply chain in recent years in an attempt to reduce its reliance on its rival Samsung, however the Korean company's reputation for mass producing components with quality has made them a favorable choice. It was reported recently that Apple's supply chain diversification has hit Samsung's chip manufacturing business, as Samsung has been Apple's only manufacturer of Apple A-series processors over the past few years.

The iPhone 6 will be unveiled at an event on September 9, and will likely be sold about a week or so later. It is also possible that the 4.7-inch version will launch ahead of the 5.5-inch version, as the latter is said to be experiencing production issues. In addition to a larger display, the iPhone 6 is expected to feature a thinner chassis, a faster A8 processor, an improved camera and iOS 8. While it is not known how much RAM the iPhone 6 will contain, some features in iOS 8 may require Apple to give the handset an adequate amount of RAM for smooth performance.

Article Link: Apple Adding Samsung as RAM Supplier for iPhone 6

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Hope I don't get the last batch of memory from SK Hynix right after they found out Apple won't be using them anymore lol

Pair

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hope I don't get the last batch of memory from SK Hynix right after they found out Apple won't be using them anymore lol

Why? You wouldn't want their RAM in your phone because they are not providing more to Apple anymore (your imaginary case). huh?

Ugh. I thought Apple was moving away from Samsung. Why are they doing this?
Why are you asking?

The article claims that the reason they are using Samsung are because of pricing disputes with their other suppliers.

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Why? You wouldn't want their RAM in your phone because they are not providing more to Apple anymore (your imaginary case). huh?

Why are you asking?

The article claims that the reason they are using Samsung are because of pricing disputes with their other suppliers.

Buzz Killington strikes again.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Ugh. I thought Apple was moving away from Samsung. Why are they doing this?

Like or loathe Samsung, they do make some excellent components. If Apple's petulance towards Samsung's morals meant they had to source poorer quality components at a higher price, this wouldn't benefit anybody.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Like or loathe Samsung, they do make some excellent components. If Apple's petulance towards Samsung's morals meant they had to source poorer quality components at a higher price, this wouldn't benefit anybody.

+1. For me, what goes on between Samsung and Apple is their business. I couldn't care less. Just get me the best product possible.

I guess SKH and Elpida realized too late that chasing high volume, low margin business is not the most attractive proposition for long term viability.:eek: I've seen many a business gain a contract by low bidding or accepting razor thin margins, only to complain later they aren't making any money. I usually have one word for them: forethought.

Last edited:

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States

Yes, Samesung makes "some" quality components such as refrigerators at a higher price but they also makes poorer quality components at a cheaper price such as pentile amoled screen, mobile ram, printers, air conditioner, etc. SK Hynix's RAM is the best but it's not cheap. Samesung's RAM will be just fine if it's cheaper.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yes, Samesung makes "some" quality components such as refrigerators at a higher price but they also makes poorer quality components at a cheaper price such as pentile amoled screen, mobile ram, printers, air conditioner, etc. SK Hynix's RAM is the best but it's not cheap. Samesung's RAM will be just fine if it's cheaper.

A refrigerator isn't a component. Neither are air conditioners or printers. Clearly their mobile RAM is not poorer quality.

The fact that you use "samesung" in your post says to me you're too emotionally involved.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
+1. For me, what goes on between Samsung and Apple is their business. I couldn't care less. Just get me the best product possible.

I guess SKH and Elpida realized too late that chasing high revenue, low margin business is not the most attractive proposition for long term viability.:eek: I've seen many a business gain a contract by low bidding or accepting razor thin margins, only to complain later they aren't making any money. I usually have one word for them: forethought.

I think you meant high volume, low margin. :D
I agree with your point, these companies have probably gotten by with razor thin margins and Apple probably wants to decrease the cost, not pay more.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I think you meant high volume, low margin. :D
I agree with your point, these companies have probably gotten by with razor thin margins and Apple probably wants to decrease the cost, not pay more.

I think you're right. High volume. :eek: I'm in tech sales. I've lost bids refusing to be the cheapest. More times than not I've re-gained that lost business because the winning bidder became unhappy with their win and the service reflected that. We sell on value, not cost.

You're doubly right regarding Apple. I'm sure they put downward pressure on suppliers to increase their (Apple) profit. For the smaller suppliers I'm pretty sure it's pretty hard to turn away from the revenue Apple could mean to their business. It's after they realize the small profits when the disappointment comes.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC

What about Samsung's components are better than others? They sell commoditized chips, anyone can make them, and they all have the same quality control. Samsung just happens to be better at pricing them due to various reasons including higher yield due to better manufacturing methods. But the end product is exactly the same - a chip.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
There's just something icky about dealing with a company whose leaders regularly engage in criminal activity.
Criminal activities like anti-poaching agreements and ebooks price fixing, or tax evasion via Ireland?
Wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.