Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I'm writing this post because i have the lcd assembly of a 17" macbook pro early 2011 and I would like to transform it into an external monitor.

I have bought a LVDS controller suitable for the led panel of the macbook (LP171WU6-TLB2), this controller has DVI and HDMI port and a LVDS interface to connect to the panel.

I don't want to remove the glass of the lcd assembly in order to reach the i-pex connector that is backside the panel, so i would like to use the male lvds cable that normally is connected to the logic board to interface the controller.

I have seen that there are 24 wires attached to the 40-pin ipex connector, i know the pinout of the ipex connector (see the photo attached) but i don't know which signal brings each wire.

If I would be able to know the pinout of the wire i wouldn't have problem to connect the monitor to the controller, cutting the wires and inserting them to the controller board.

Please, could you tell me more about the lvds interface and maybe the pinout of the 24 wires attached to the ipex connector?

Till now i know there are:
x3 green wires
x3 red wires
x5 blue wires
x13 yellow wires

Tot=24 wires

wwfz9k.jpg

And the connection should be:

GND
VCC
V EEDID
DATA EEDID

RA1-
RA1+

RB1-
RB1+

RC1-
RC1+

RCLK1-
RCLK1+

RA2-
RA2+

RB2-
RB2+

RC2-
RC2+

RCLK2-
RCLK2+

Vdc (+)
Vdc (–)

Tot:22

16a1ims.png

And the other two wires?

Thank you very much in advance for help.

Reactions: amonpean

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Nobody knows anything?

Where could I find the schematics of my 2011 17" mbp?

Thank you in advance.

cloudchaser

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
I saw you were able to complete this project. Did you get the pinouts that you needed?

I'm about to start working on the same with a 2006 Macbook monitor and any help would be appreciated.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I saw you were able to complete this project. Did you get the pinouts that you needed?

I'm about to start working on the same with a 2006 Macbook monitor and any help would be appreciated.

Yes, finally i have succeed in transforming my died macbook into an external monitor.

First of all you need to know the exact model of your panel; it could be found in two ways:
1) searching the web
2) unmounting the display assembly

Then you have to find on ebay a LVDS controller board, it's better if it is 100% compatible.

When i started this thread i didn't have inspected accurately the ipex connector, in fact after i have unmounted it i have discovered that inside the yellow wires there were other two wires. With a 12x lens i was able to identify each connection wire that matched exactly the pinouts i have already posted.
But i thought that there was no point in connecting manually or solder each little (too little!) wire to the connection board, so I have decided to unmount the assembly.
It was quite simple to do, i have used a hair dryer and a suction cap (the gps' one) to extract the glass cover.
I don' think that 2007 macbooks have a glass cover to protect the lcd, but the important thing to do it's only reach the connection of the panel and plug in the connector provided with the controller board.

That's all. I hope to be useful, if you have more questions i'll try to answer you.

cloudchaser

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Yes, finally i have succeed in transforming my died macbook into an external monitor.

Thanks, I was looking to avoid opening the screen just to get to the LVDS connector. But it seems easier if I do, plus I'll be able to check the precise model number of the panel.

Thanks for the pointers.

brewcrewmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
wich lvds controller board

I have a dead Macbook pro A1261 model and the lcd display is a 17'' 1920X1200 glossy. I want to use the display as an external monitor like you did and I already dissambly the display from the laptop. Now I search the right LVDS controller board and I can't find it on the web, maybe you can help me with that.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
I have a dead Macbook pro A1261 model and the lcd display is a 17'' 1920X1200 glossy. I want to use the display as an external monitor like you did and I already dissambly the display from the laptop. Now I search the right LVDS controller board and I can't find it on the web, maybe you can help me with that.

Hello!
Which LCD do you have?
Please could you tell me the exact model? You should find the model number on the backside of the panel.

To find the right controller board you should try searching on ebay, remember to select the advanced query and choose "search worldwide" in fact the shops which sells this kind of stuff are from China or HK. I suggest you to activate also "search in the description" and to use a query like "number of the model + LVDS"

I hope you'll succed in this project!

Reactions: amonpean

brewcrewmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2015
wich lvds controller board

My LCD is a Samsung LED LCD LTN170CT06, I find a couple of controller on ebay but no one has the exact number of my LCD. I'm searching for a controller with HDMI and DVI.

Situfer hm bm

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
Hello TiberioG thanks so much for all the infos that you have shared with its just one suestion has come to my mind i have macbook pro 2008 a1260 screen that working great and a macbook white 2009 a1342 cracked screen isit possible to put screen in in macbook thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.