Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I love the new design and am glad they finally are giving people the display sizes they want. For me personally they might have reacted too slowly (2-3 years after it became glaringly obvious) since I'm now so used to Android and learned to enjoy its benefits (after having made the transition hesitantly but I just couldn't live with the puny screens anymore), but that's a different story.

The one thing about the design that I can imagine will lead to problems is the protruding camera, because it looks like it will make it impossible to lay the phone flat on a table (the camera is not in the middle, so 3 points of contact can't be achieved). Thoughts about this?

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
There are "many" other phones out there with a protruding camera on the back that have no issues at all. Why do think it would be a problem on the iPhone?

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
There are "many" other phones out there with a protruding camera on the back that have no issues at all. Why do think it would be a problem on the iPhone?

Which phone has the protruding camera not centered (so that three stable points of contact can be achieved)?

iBanker

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
46th floor
This is being discussed as if the final design were known.

Rumors are interesting...but not facts.

I think people are now referring to the leaked schematics from Foxconn which detail the iPhone 6's dimensions and camera.

On topic, the protrusion is 0.77mm - less than most other camera protrusions I've seen. The wobble will likely be very barely noticeable.

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
I agree with the OP's thinking.

On the rumour (confirmed or otherwise) that the protruding camera is a feature of the phone, then with it being offset, the phone isn't going to sit on the flat evenly. It'll rock from side to side ... which would be become annoying.

I know it reads as a minor issue, but to me its one of those things that you would notice on a regular basis in day to day use. Every time you put it down or pick it up, you would notice it rocking. And that to me makes me think why do that. Its not all about being the thinnest if it affects the enjoyment of its usability.

That being said, the iPod touch's camera lens in real life is a lot less protruding than early rumours had it being.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree with the OP's thinking.

On the rumour (confirmed or otherwise) that the protruding camera is a feature of the phone, then with it being offset, the phone isn't going to sit on the flat evenly. It'll rock from side to side ... which would be become annoying.

I know it reads as a minor issue, but to me its one of those things that you would notice on a regular basis in day to day use. Every time you put it down or pick it up, you would notice it rocking. And that to me makes me think why do that. Its not all about being the thinnest if it affects the enjoyment of its usability.

That being said, the iPod touch's camera lens in real life is a lot less protruding than early rumours had it being.

If the lens really protrudes the level app would be useless. Right? Can't see that happening.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Apple will probably have a leather case that takes the protrusion into account. It sucks for people who like slim cases though.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Wish September 9th would hurry up & get here so we can all see the final design of the iPhone 6.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
This is being discussed as if the final design were known.

Rumors are interesting...but not facts.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!

We don't even know if these "leaks" or mockups will even look like the next iPhone, so even though you may be speculating, you sound like you have your mind made up about what the phone will look/be like.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If the lens really protrudes the level app would be useless.

No. The sensor only measures a relative angle. Zero is what you tell it to be. Also, the phone would sit at an angle of 0.3 degrees, which is probably less than what the sensor can reliably measure.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
I love the new design and am glad they finally are giving people the display sizes they want. For me personally they might have reacted too slowly (2-3 years after it became glaringly obvious) since I'm now so used to Android and learned to enjoy its benefits (after having made the transition hesitantly but I just couldn't live with the puny screens anymore), but that's a different story.

The one thing about the design that I can imagine will lead to problems is the protruding camera, because it looks like it will make it impossible to lay the phone flat on a table (the camera is not in the middle, so 3 points of contact can't be achieved). Thoughts about this?

Although other Android makes have been bashed because of protruding camera lenses, Apple enjoys an environment complete with excuse makers that remove any blame or responsibility. Thanks to Steve Jobs power over people he'd have everyone convinced Apple was perfect. That mentality lives on :)

tblisscoug

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
What if the "protrusion" is actually just off the metal panel shown in the mockups to allow for the installation of the glass panels we typically see so that the end result is a back that is flush like any iphone before it? That would make the mockups correct, just incomplete and some of the renders we've seen more closely resemble the final product.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No. The sensor only measures a relative angle. Zero is what you tell it to be. Also, the phone would sit at an angle of 0.3 degrees, which is probably less than what the sensor can reliably measure.

I don't know electronics seem sensitive to me. Since we don't know even if there is a protrusion, I stand by my original statement the level app would be off, albeit a tiny amout.

ogremoustro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What if the "protrusion" is actually just off the metal panel shown in the mockups to allow for the installation of the glass panels we typically see so that the end result is a back that is flush like any iphone before it? That would make the mockups correct, just incomplete and some of the renders we've seen more closely resemble the final product.

Then the glass would sit higher than the aluminum back and I don't think they'd put aluminum on the whole back.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Apple will probably have a leather case that takes the protrusion into account. It sucks for people who like slim cases though.

Even with a Caudabe Veil it won't be an issue. The case is a bit thicker than the protrusion.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I don't think it's the end of the world.

I'll probably just stick a case that is thick enough to even it out.

The camera isn't a problem on my iPod touch.

Remember that they are rumors, the final design is really up in the air.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Acknowledging that these are rumors, what about the metal Apple logo? That could stick out just a bit more and negate the camera protrusion. In fact, what if that is the very reason for moving to the inset logo?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It's not just the protuberance, it's the lack of RAM too. Astonishing in this day and age Apple can still dare to put out a product with so little RAM. And still no notification light. Unbelievable!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.