Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_set.jpg
Earlier this week, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo released a report claiming Apple may not launch the iWatch until 2015 due to manufacturing difficulties associated with the new device. A follow-up report from Taiwan's Economic Daily News (via G 4 Games) echoes this assertion with supply chain information hinting at an early 2015 debut for Apple's wearable device.

Anonymous supply chain sources told Economic Daily News that Apple is requesting delivery of hardware components for the iWatch as it prepares to start assembly of the wristwatch device in September. Sources claim it will take Apple several months of manufacturing refinement before it has a final product that is ready for retail shelves.

Once it hits production, iWatch yield is rumored to be lower than first predicted, with one million watches rolling off factory lines each month. Because of the lengthy and limited production process, Apple may not be able to launch the iWatch fully in 2014. Instead, the company may decide to offer the iWatch in limited quantities at the end of this year or wait until 2015 to start selling the wearable device.

While Apple tends to unveil a product and release it shortly after the announcement, the company has utilized a protracted launch strategy with select new products. Apple introduced the original iPhone six months ahead of its retail availability and unveiled the first iPad two months before it went on sale.

Most recently, Apple used a similar strategy with its Mac Pro, unveiling the machine six months before it was made available for purchase in December 2013. When it finally went on sale, the Mac Pro was available in limited quantities for several months following its initial retail release.

(Image: iWatch concept by SET Solution)

Article Link: More Supply Chain Claims of Likely Early 2015 Launch for iWatch

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I'm really curious how these will look. It will have to not look incongruent wearing while exercising, but also, look nice enough to wear while dressed up? I have a feeling if you are dressed very well, these will look out of place, like most watches do. So you'd still need a "dress watch."

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Disappointing but what's coming out next month?

The 4.7-inch iPhone 6, this is the only product I'm really waiting for.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Its good to see they are taking their time to get it right rather than rush out a crap product, but I'd be really disappointed if they don't announce it at least at the iPhone event.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I swear next year that device better be the sexiest piece of machinery otherwise I will not wear it outside.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
With the new iPhone and iPads, I'd be content with an iWatch reveal w. no on sale date until 2015 like the Mac Pro. Curious about design > hoping it's more of bracelet than an actual watch and could be worn together w. a timepiece.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I think this is going to be Tim cooks first "one more thing" at the iPhone launch and they will announce it then start shipping in December in limited quantities

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
So what the hell is Tim Cook talking about when he says new product categories and all this pipeline crap ?

iPhone 6 (4.7 & 5.5"), iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3

Updated Macs ?

Smh

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So what the hell is Tim Cook talking about when he says new product categories and all this pipeline crap ?

iPhone 6 (4.7 & 5.5"), iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3

Updated Macs ?

Smh
The year is not over and this is is just a rumor??

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wow MR, that mockup you included in the article is the worst I've seen. Let's take the shape of the iPhone and put a band on it. I mean ugly. There are 1000s of mockups out there, I know you need to cycle through them, but why pick that one?

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I swear next year that device better be the sexiest piece of machinery otherwise I will not wear it outside.

Maybe you're no longer the target market. After all, Apple now expects that their target market should have giant headphones around their necks while playing soccer, or alternatively, basketball. Why not a giant phone on the wrist.

smakdown61

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Cook hyped up the Fall 2014 lineup as one of the best in apple history. I don't see them not announcing at least the iWatch if not new AppleTV even if they don't ship until early next year. Just having updated iphones and ipads would be a huge disappointment in terms of new hardware.

They may soften the blow with some new services like iPay or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.