Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I love that the iPad rMini and the iPad Air are the same device. I have and use both. Since the Air sees much less use, it is is better condition than the rMini.
I will upgrade one of them this fall. Which one ?
If both devices get the same bump again, I'd like to replace the most used one.
Does anyone think they will be the same again ?. I'm thinking the air will get a ram boost and split screen capabilities. Will the mini get that also?
Any input will be appreciated :)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I love that the iPad rMini and the iPad Air are the same device. I have and use both. Since the Air sees much less use, it is is better condition than the rMini.
Does anyone think they will be the same again ?. I'm thinking the air will get a ram boost and split screen capabilities. Will the mini get that also?

We should know the answer in just over 2 weeks. Until then, it’s a guess.

headsh0t95

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Netherlands
The retina iPad mini and the iPad air are so fast that they don't need to be upgraded now, even my iPad 4 will last multiple years from now in terms of iOS updates and apps support. Only the iPad 1 and maybe the iPad 2 are old and are worth upgrading to the latest one

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City

Why would you want to upgrade a device that you are not even using that often and keep the older device that sees more use?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Why would you want to upgrade a device that you are not even using that often and keep the older device that sees more use?

????
Please re read my post or maybe I didn't make myself clear. I use the rMini all the time. I only use the Air at home. I'm not home much. I don't want to replace the Air, I plan on replacing the mini when they become available. My wish is that they are both identical this year, as they were last year, so The rMini will have all of the newer features.
I use the rMini so much that I'm starting to have home button issues. That's why I want to upgrade.

----------

BTW, i have applecare so I wont be pawning off a problem on someone.. just sayin before the flames.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
????
Please re read my post or maybe I didn't make myself clear. I use the rMini all the time. I only use the Air at home. I'm not home much. I don't want to replace the Air, I plan on replacing the mini when they become available. My wish is that they are both identical this year, as they were last year, so The rMini will have all of the newer features.
I use the rMini so much that I'm starting to have home button issues. That's why I want to upgrade.

----------

BTW, i have applecare so I wont be pawning off a problem on someone.. just sayin before the flames.:rolleyes:
They will not be the same.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
The retina iPad mini and the iPad air are so fast that they don't need to be upgraded now, even my iPad 4 will last multiple years from now in terms of iOS updates and apps support. Only the iPad 1 and maybe the iPad 2 are old and are worth upgrading to the latest one

No they do not NEED to be upgraded, but how will Apple sell more of them without adding some new features and saying it is an upgrade that folks can't live without. They got to continue to break last years record sales every year.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
How is it bad business? Are you saying that because they aren't differentiated enough, somehow that causes people to buy them less?
They sell more Air than Mini. They shouldn't put the money into building it.

Costs less, sells less, spend less building it.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area

This is another APPLE IS DOOMED article. Funny this paragraph is toward the bottom of the piece:

"In some respects, Apple's commanding lead in the tablet market remains intact. There are far more iPad-optimized apps than tablet-optimized Android apps. Even though Apple's technical lead has shrunk (or disappeared, perhaps), it still offers a superior overall user experience. That's a major reason iPad usage still dwarfs usage of all other tablets combined."

Lmao
My daily driver is the doomed rMini. Working flawlessly whenever I need it, which is often. I would love to hear Daring Fireball comment on this writer.
Happily, we the readers of all things tech, encompass a miniscule percentage of the general buying public and articles like this - articles designed to promote sales of anything other than Apple - are never read by the main stream.
Flop indeed.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I wouldn't rely on my tech guidance from motley-fool "click bait" financial advice articles.

"WHY APPLE'S IPAD IS IN BIG TROUBLE!"

That article topic says it all..

Motley Fool makes its money by getting you to click through to their articles, which are usually somewhat misleading in focus and inflammatory in topic and prose... after all, they want you to buy their financial guidance newsletters and funds... if they actually provided non-paying public their "professional stock-buying expertise" for free, they would quickly go bankrupt.

Their article drafters receive bonuses based upon the number of click-thrus that happen on their site (inside scoop from my friend's son who works there).

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I hadn't heard that. Do you have any links to where I can read about this?
I'm sure you can look up the sales numbers. You're a big boy.

95b398ff9677817361baac4b2ed8dca5.jpg

Whether these numbers are correct or not it doesn't matter. The Mini will be just that, a Mini iPad, the Air will be the full powered iPad. It is that simple.

They will be different.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm sure you can look up the sales numbers. You're a big boy.

I'm a somewhat smallish woman, actually. :D

Those numbers are somewhat dated, though. If I recall correctly, the retina mini was supply constrained back then, and wasn't easily available until January 2014. I'll go do my own search, but perhaps you should also search for more recent numbers before declaring the retina mini a flop.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I'm a somewhat smallish woman, actually. :D

Those numbers are somewhat dated, though. If I recall correctly, the retina mini was supply constrained back then, and wasn't easily available until January 2014. I'll go do my own search, but perhaps you should also search for more recent numbers before declaring the retina mini a flop.
Who said the Mini was a flop?

MacRumors fanboys. Drama Queens.

All I said was the Air sold more. They all sold.

I don't want to look up numbers. I don't care.

Why do you forum people do that? You pick one little comment and you pick at it and pick at it and turn it into a big fight? It's so stupid.

OK here.

I was wrong. Actually the iPad Mini Retina outsells every other ipad.

Now, the next Mini will be different than the iPad Air 2.

OK? See my point is still the same. It doesn't matter how many ipad minis they sold.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I was wrong. Actually the iPad Mini Retina outsells every other ipad.

Now, the next Mini will be different than the iPad Air 2.

OK? See my point is still the same. It doesn't matter how many ipad minis they sold.

So basically, your argument is that the next iPad mini and the Air 2 will be different from each other because... you say so? ?????

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
If you don't want to discuss, why did you bring it up in the first place? You post something in a discussion forum, then you don't want to talk about it?
I was wrong. I apologize. The Mini sells more.

They'll be different when they come out.

Toodles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.