Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgunes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2009
DFW
I have a late 2012 iMac 27" with the 768GB SSD and no internal HD.
I have already upgraded to 32GB RAM and I want to add a 6TB HD (something like this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...14-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22178520-L06B) or the WD 6TB (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...D4O9QcoMLlGHDEhoCAjXw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details) to get rid of 2 external USB3 drives.
I tried to find videos from OWC and youtube but most of them are about replacing an existing HD.
Is there enough space next to the 768GB SSD? Are there any extra SATA connectors available?
Has anyone tried to add this 6 TB Seagate (non-7200rpm) drive to a 27" iMac late 2012?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I have a late 2012 iMac 27" with the 768GB SSD and no internal HD.
I have already upgraded to 32GB RAM and I want to add a 6TB HD (something like this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...14-Index-_-InternalHardDrives-_-22178520-L06B) or the WD 6TB (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...D4O9QcoMLlGHDEhoCAjXw_wcB&Q=&is=REG&A=details) to get rid of 2 external USB3 drives.
I tried to find videos from OWC and youtube but most of them are about replacing an existing HD.
Is there enough space next to the 768GB SSD? Are there any extra SATA connectors available?
Has anyone tried to add this 6 TB Seagate (non-7200rpm) drive to a 27" iMac late 2012?
Thanks for any help.

While I realize that this is not responsive to your post . . . . have you given any thought to a Thunderbolt attached hdd? If you have AppleCare on your iMac, you are still under warranty, and if so, I would be hesitant at tearing into your beautifully assembled and factory sealed machine.

If/Then/Else . . . . good luck. You might see if ifixit has an applicable how-to video guide on the late 2012 model.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Back when I first got my 2012 iMac with internal 768GB SSD, I asked on one of these forums about adding an internal second SSD (or hard disk). It was determined that although a SATA connector was on the board (for the hard disk), the SSD-only units were missing the power/data cable and mounting brackets for the hard drive. Someone posted a parts list which identified the parts required, including a different spring-loaded stand bracket for the additional weight of the hard drive. There are several vendors who can supply these parts, but I recall they totaled around $60 without the pivot mechanism ($50) which I didn't feel I needed for a lightweight SSD.

I have since decided that I didn't want to risk my AppleCare by opening the taped screen, really didn't want any hard disks inside (heat, noise, reliability), and that it was really easy to add external drives, SSD or hard disk, using the Thunderbolt connector.

I can't seem to find the parts list post, but you might search around and find it. If I come across it, I will add the link here.

Good luck ...

-howard

...Here is a source for the parts ...
http://applecomponents.com/?search_within=1&p=all_items&last_cmp=0215&last_cat=&s=hard+drive

Last edited:

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
I have a late 2012 iMac 27" with the 768GB SSD and no internal HD. I have already upgraded to 32GB RAMand I want to add a 6TB HD.

Nice.

As far as I'm aware that there's not many videos around if any showing what you want. But those videos that you have probably seen already will show the parts that you are missing.

Is there enough space next to the 768GB SSD?

No but it doesn't really matter as that's not where A 3.5 hard drive is designed to go.

Are there any extra SATA connectors available?

In the 2012/13 model the connector and the power connector are present. Unfortunately unless you purchased the standard hard drive or fusion drive you will be missing the cables required along with all brackets grommets and screws.

As mentioned above, there is a part list going around and some places online where you can buy the relevant parts. I think about $135 USD plus last time I looked.

I have added a 3.5 hard drive to a 2013 model and a 2.5 SSD I purchased the cable from some parts supplier and had a custom bracket manufactured to hold the standard hard drive and SSD.

Total modification cost $289 AUD not including drives.

sgunes

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2009
DFW
Back when I first got my 2012 iMac with internal 768GB SSD, I asked on one of these forums about adding an internal second SSD (or hard disk). It was determined that although a SATA connector was on the board (for the hard disk), the SSD-only units were missing the power/data cable and mounting brackets for the hard drive. Someone posted a parts list which identified the parts required, including a different spring-loaded stand bracket for the additional weight of the hard drive. There are several vendors who can supply these parts, but I recall they totaled around $60 without the pivot mechanism ($50) which I didn't feel I needed for a lightweight SSD.

I have since decided that I didn't want to risk my AppleCare by opening the taped screen, really didn't want any hard disks inside (heat, noise, reliability), and that it was really easy to add external drives, SSD or hard disk, using the Thunderbolt connector.

I can't seem to find the parts list post, but you might search around and find it. If I come across it, I will add the link here.

Good luck ...

-howard

...Here is a source for the parts ...
http://applecomponents.com/?search_within=1&p=all_items&last_cmp=0215&last_cat=&s=hard+drive

Thanks. This was the best answer I received between the Apple forums and MacRumors. Due to the warranty issue I have to wait until late 2015. At that time I guess 8TB drives will be available. With the new built-in HD I could get rid of 2 USB3 drives (and their cables and power supplies).
Regarding the heat issues: I would choose a Coolspin/Green non-7200rpm drive to minimize heat output.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
Due to the warranty issue I have to wait until late 2015.

If you want this done now and you want to preserve your warranty you may be able to get an Apple Authorised Service Provider to do it for you. Not an Apple Store.

They should be able to order the parts required and preserve your warranty. Have a look on the apple website to see if you've got one locally and give them a ring to see if they're willing to do it and what the cost would be.

Michael Burke

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
7tb imac 27" 2011

7 TB IMAC I7 UPGRADE . In relation to installing new hard drive( 2011 i7 27" ) & placing solid state drive behind the ODDrive.Just for information a few days back I replaced the original 1TB Seagate drive with a 6 TB WD green and placed a 1TB Samsung behind the optical bay. I used the OWC kit for each. I am not an expert and it was the first time I have attempted iMac surgery, I must say it was easier than suggested but watched the OWC videos about 20 times first.. Secondly just to be safe I have also purchased the Tunabbelly temperature gauge app which gives 28 different temp sensor readings. This appears to to be very useful as I can see other readings such as the power supply which can be a great source of heat in an iMac 2011 . I ran it for a few days but as I am unaware of the true temp parameters for things other than the hard drive I have also installed the HDD fan controller software which seems quite flexible in adjustment parameters. Before using HDD the fan was not running too fast but just in case something else was causing excess heat i thought it better to play safe and use HDD as an extra precaution. I don't know of any one on the net with a 7 TB combined drive to date. I have 2 X 16 TB Promise Back ups for my photography but was forced to increase my internal & would nearly fill the new 8 TB but will install that lf all goes well here . I failed to say in my last post it is running super fast all seems well . My only questions is waht is the normal operating temp for the power supply? as this is seems to get up to around 70 C after several hours of use or when using heavy applications ?

gab0.1992

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
I personally did the same thing but adding a 3tb one. If you ordered he machine with ssd you need to buy the HDD Bay Area parts separately. I spend like $70 bucks on the brackets screws and cable. I bough from Applecomponents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.