Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
When the 6 comes out, who's still going to keep their 5S/5C? I have the 5S right now, and as tempting as the 6 is going to be, I'm probably going to keep it. Normally, I give in to what Apple always puts out, but since I paid full price for my 5S I think I'm going to keep it for awhile.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm keeping my 5s. I upgrade every two years so I will get the 2015 iPhone. There is zero temptation for me to upgrade this year and get the 6.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I don't own the 5S or 5C, but I do own the iPhone 5. Based on the pictures I have seen, if the iPhone 6 looks anything like that and most importantly, if it does not come in black then I will be staying with my iPhone 5.

Alex1213

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2014
Yes I'll keep my 5s cause it still works, the screen size is perfect, and looks beautiful and the iphone 6 looks to big and looks like a ipod with a sim slot

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
When the 6 comes out, who's still going to keep their 5S/5C? I have the 5S right now, and as tempting as the 6 is going to be, I'm probably going to keep it. Normally, I give in to what Apple always puts out, but since I paid full price for my 5S I think I'm going to keep it for awhile.

No reason to keep my 5S (which I love, btw) when there's a 6 on the horizon! :D

I get the newest phone every year. Can't help myself. :cool:

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Unless my mother in law agrees to give me her upgrade and take my 5S I'll be sitting tight with my 5S until the 6S drops honestly. I'm good either way. Knowing me I'll wait till Christmas time hit up Craigslist and find someone in need of cash and having to sell their i6.

nineteen73

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2014
Northern California
My sole experience with smartphones has been only with Android. Currently, I own an HTC One. I'm waiting for contract to end next year with Sprint before switching my family over to Verizon. My son previously had a iPhone 4S before upgrading to a 5C last year. My daughter also has a 4S.

By the time I change mobile service, I'm debating which iPhone to get. In terms of cost, the 4S will be the most economical at zero-cost for a two-year contract. The 5C/5S should also go down in price since the iPhone 6 would be established by this point next year. However, I'm thinking the 5S would be the best way to go.

Any advice?

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
My sole experience with smartphones has been only with Android. Currently, I own an HTC One. I'm waiting for contract to end next year with Sprint before switching my family over to Verizon. My son previously had a iPhone 4S before upgrading to a 5C last year. My daughter also has a 4S.

By the time I change mobile service, I'm debating which iPhone to get. In terms of cost, the 4S will be the most economical at zero-cost for a two-year contract. The 5C/5S should also go down in price since the iPhone 6 would be established by this point next year. However, I'm thinking the 5S would be the best way to go.

Any advice?

If u are under contract and eligible for upgrade u can get iPhone 5s 16gb for $79 with new 2 year contract right now at walmart and other retailer.

That's the best way to go right now.

Because even if iPhone 6 comes out. It's probably going to be $199/2 year contract and 5S drops down to $99/2 year contract.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I got my 5s on a 3 year contract and wasn't expecting to upgrade early, but it so happens that my mother is due for an upgrade and she couldn't care less about what phone she uses, so I might just give her my 5s and use her upgrade to get a 6 for myself. I haven't really decided though. I might not bother.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
When hasn't it NOT come in Black before? Doesn't make much sense.......
The iPhone 5 was the last true black iPhone.

The iPhone 5s Space Gray does not count. It's gray. Gray is a shade of black, yes, but gray is not 100% black.

Yes, the Space Gray iPhone 5s has black windows in the back and a black front. But the casing and the back metal are all gray. Lay down a 5s next to a 5 and it will be immediately apparent that the iPhone 5 is black. Yes, the iPhone 5 has a dark gray back (Slate), but even that gray is much darker than the gray of the Space Gray 5s. Also, the casing of the iPhone 5 is black.

And the 5c does not come in black.

----------

Why do you always start this argument? :p
I don't start anything! :)

I am a Graphic Designer by profession. A percentage of black is gray and not black. It's not my fault that lots of people want to call their gray iPhones black. I don't make the color rules. :D

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013

The iPhone 5s Space Gray does not count. It's gray. Gray is a shade of black, yes, but gray is not 100% black.

Yes, the Space Gray iPhone 5s has black windows in the back and a black front. But the casing and the back metal are all gray. Lay down a 5s next to a 5 and it will be immediately apparent that the iPhone 5 is black. Yes, the iPhone 5 has a dark gray back (Slate), but even that gray is much darker than the gray of the Space Gray 5s. Also, the casing of the iPhone 5 is black.

----------

I am a Graphic Designer by profession. A percentage of black is gray and not black. It's not my fault that lots of people want to call their gray iPhones black. I don't make the color rules. :D

LMAO!!! This is true though. I have a space gray 5s and it is not black enough at all. I want ALL BLACK!!!

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
Im keeping my 5s at least until 2016 :D I see NO reason to upgrade my 5s to the 6. I also think that it is a flat out waste of money! Lol.

dragon671556

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2013
I currently have a 4S; but I'm not due for an upgrade until April 2015. I'm thinking about switching carriers to either Verizon or our local carrier and getting a 5S. I think the S series seems pretty. The 4S is my first iphone but not my first smartphone..android Atrix...we won't talk about it.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.

----------

Fair enough.......lol

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

Any advice?

The 4S is likely to disappear when the 6 comes out. It will only be available on the secondary market. Many people agree that the 6 will be $199, the 5s will be $99, and the 5c will be free. Those are all contract prices. You can also look into payment programs like Verizon's Edge. You get a discount on the service charge if you get 10gb of data or higher, but you pay a down payment (or sometimes not) and a monthly fee for the phone for 20 or 24 months. After that you can choose a new phone, or your monthly bill will drop in price.

----------

If the photos are accurate, I will probably be keeping my 5. It will be two years old in January and still works well.

EdgardasB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2014
Lithuania
I will keep. For me 5S is more than enough. Maybe will sell my 16GB and will buy 32/64GB model after iPhone 6 will be released. Don't like big smartphones, for this I have iPad air.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

----------

Obviously to each their own, but it really matters to you THAT much?

If space grey is the new black, are you simply never going to upgrade solely on that fact?

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I will be keeping my 5s seeing as though it is a 64GB unlocked version still in mint condition, ill get a new one when this one doesn't work anymore.
If I had the 5C I would get a new one because the 5c is 2 year old hardware now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.