Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hey guys,

I may need to bite the bullet and buy a new phone since Samsung isn't fulfilling their warranty on my broken Note 3.

That being said, I am looking at picking up a iPhone5 or 5S in the interim, since my company won't let me get an upgrade until Dec. 2015.

I wanted to see how I can protect myself on craigslist with AT&T? Previously with Sprint I could check the ESN number and see if it was clean. What questions should I be asking with AT&T since it seems like I can just slip in a SIM card and be on my way.

I mean here is a 5S for $150... seems WAY too cheap to not have something wrong?
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mob/4628186426.html

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Its a risk buying used just so you know.
It might work fine for a few days and then get blacklisted.
Also $150 is way too cheap for a working 5S.
If the deal sounds too good to be true then it is.
You never know what you will walk into with a CL deal.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey guys,

I may need to bite the bullet and buy a new phone since Samsung isn't fulfilling their warranty on my broken Note 3.

That being said, I am looking at picking up a iPhone5 or 5S in the interim, since my company won't let me get an upgrade until Dec. 2015.

I wanted to see how I can protect myself on craigslist with AT&T? Previously with Sprint I could check the ESN number and see if it was clean. What questions should I be asking with AT&T since it seems like I can just slip in a SIM card and be on my way.

I mean here is a 5S for $150... seems WAY too cheap to not have something wrong?
http://orlando.craigslist.org/mob/4628186426.html
Not everybody on Craigslist is a dirt bag. I would recommend meeting them and seeing if they seem honest. You always run a risk but if they don't seem like dirt bags they very well may just want to sell it before the new launch.

Munch718

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Not everybody on Craigslist is a dirt bag. I would recommend meeting them and seeing if they seem honest. You always run a risk but if they don't seem like dirt bags they very well may just want to sell it before the new launch.
p

! I sold my 4S on craigslist a few years ago and met the dude at a Sprint store to ensure he didn't have any problems activating it. Also sold my Samsung galaxy S3 the same way but just at a Verizon store that time. If they refuse to meet at a store, might be suspicious. Be careful with craigslist there are a lot of scammers and stole phones listed. You will come across some legit post once in awhile. Good Luck!

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I'd be cautious, but I'd take a look at it. There's a chance the seller doesn't know that iPhones are subsidized and they might think the brand new value was $200.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I'd be cautious, but I'd take a look at it. There's a chance the seller doesn't know that iPhones are subsidized and they might think the brand new value was $200.
Good point! Some people think smart phones cost $200 because that is what they always paid. Though, this brings up the question, how is this not under contract?

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Good point! Some people think smart phones cost $200 because that is what they always paid. Though, this brings up the question, how is this not under contract?

Yeah, that's the fishy part. Maybe it was given to the seller by someone who had it unlocked? Again, I say take a look at it, but proceed with caution.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
There is really nothing you can do to protect yourself save the seller giving you the original sales receipt. Use common sense to decide. My current phone was bought on craigslist. Had it since April and I'm still enjoying it. Here is a rule I use: I only spend an amount I'm willing to loose. My CL purchase is capped at $300.

----------

$150 for a 5s is a scam. Period. I would not even consider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.