Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macl0vin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
I have a 4th gen 2GB Time Capsule connected to a Motorolla SB5101 modem for my wifi network at home. This has been a great setup for a year and a half and last week it suddenly stopped working. Whenever I check the status in Airport Utility I find "Ethernet Unplugged" blinking.

I tried different ethernet cables and it didn't make a difference. Next, I called my internet provider and they reset my modem. It works fine when I plug in directly to my Macbook Pro Retina from the modem. Finally, I took the Time Capsule to the Apple Store. The guy reset it and setup a new test network. It worked flawlessly in the store.

When I brought it home and reconnected everything I still had the same issue - "Ethernet Unplugged". My internet works and my time capsule worked in store but I can't get around this issue. I have restarted, reset, unplugged and replugged all the components numerous times.

Additionally, the Router Mode is set to "DHCP and NAT". Am I missing another setting somewhere? Please help!

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have a 4th gen 2GB Time Capsule connected to a Motorolla SB5101 modem for my wifi network at home. This has been a great setup for a year and a half and last week it suddenly stopped working. Whenever I check the status in Airport Utility I find "Ethernet Unplugged" blinking.

I tried different ethernet cables and it didn't make a difference. Next, I called my internet provider and they reset my modem. It works fine when I plug in directly to my Macbook Pro Retina from the modem. Finally, I took the Time Capsule to the Apple Store. The guy reset it and setup a new test network. It worked flawlessly in the store.

When I brought it home and reconnected everything I still had the same issue - "Ethernet Unplugged". My internet works and my time capsule worked in store but I can't get around this issue. I have restarted, reset, unplugged and replugged all the components numerous times.

Additionally, the Router Mode is set to "DHCP and NAT". Am I missing another setting somewhere? Please help!

Try plugging the Ethernet cable between them and unplugging power from both the modem and TC. Then boot the modem and let it run 3 minutes before booting the TC.

macl0vin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
I gave this a try and I'm still having the same issue.

The funny thing is that the my Time Capsule's network actually shows up as an available network. I can connect but there is still no internet access. However, I am able to access the Time Capsule's hard drive wirelessly when I'm connected to the network.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I gave this a try and I'm still having the same issue.

The funny thing is that the my Time Capsule's network actually shows up as an available network. I can connect but there is still no internet access. However, I am able to access the Time Capsule's hard drive wirelessly when I'm connected to the network.

So you are having a WAN negotiation problem. When you say you "reset it" do you mean a full reset via the paper clip sized reset button?

macl0vin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Yes, the guy at the Apple store did the full reset with the paper clip. I also reset with the paper clip a few times and created a new network each time.

I'm not familiar with WAN negotiation issues. Are there settings I can adjust to fix this?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yes, the guy at the Apple store did the full reset with the paper clip. I also reset with the paper clip a few times and created a new network each time.

I'm not familiar with WAN negotiation issues. Are there settings I can adjust to fix this?

Does the modem seem to be locking on to only allowing the MacBook to work with it or can anything connect with it?

macl0vin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
That is a great question. Unfortunately, I can only test with the MacBook right now since I don't have an Ethernet cable long enough to reach my Apple TV or PS3. Is there another way to find out if it's locking onto the MacBook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.