Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
On iMac G3 Indigo 500MHz, I noticed that the icon to Network Utility is missing. It is running 10.4.11. I tried to replace the icon with ones on the internet, but I always get a white or black background on the icon. I am 100% sure these icons have a transparent layer. I even took the Network Utility icon from one of my newer Macs and tried replacing it, but it didn't appear translucent. I would like to get you guys input on what could be the cause of this strange problem. If the problem doesn't get solved, it isn't a big issue, as Network Utility still works fine. Any ideas are welcome.

Thank You!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
On iMac G3 Indigo 500MHz, I noticed that the icon to Network Utility is missing. It is running 10.4.11. I tried to replace the icon with ones on the internet, but I always get a white or black background on the icon. I am 100% sure these icons have a transparent layer. I even took the Network Utility icon from one of my newer Macs and tried replacing it, but it didn't appear translucent. I would like to get you guys input on what could be the cause of this strange problem. If the problem doesn't get solved, it isn't a big issue, as Network Utility still works fine. Any ideas are welcome.

Thank You!

Did you download the .png with Alpha on (no white background), open in Preview, hit CMD A then CMD C, then go to Network Utility and click Get Info? Then you would click the top preview icon (will outline blue) and hit CMD V.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Did you download the .png with Alpha on (no white background), open in Preview, hit CMD A then CMD C, then go to Network Utility and click Get Info? Then you would click the top preview icon (will outline blue) and hit CMD V.

Yeah, this is exactly what I did, I will try to get a screenshot of it soon.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I can send the original .icns if necessary. Try looking to see if it has been removed or damaged inside the Resources folder in the app.

It does appear it is damaged. I couldn't find the .icns within the .app. I guess I could try to see the original would work. I tried to use the .icns from my Intel Mac on Mavricks, but that didn't do the trick. Thanks for all the help, Altemose.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It does appear it is damaged. I couldn't find the .icns within the .app. I guess I could try to see the original would work. I tried to use the .icns from my Intel Mac on Mavricks, but that didn't do the trick. Thanks for all the help, Altemose.

I can attach it to a PM somehow. PM me if you want me to send it.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
I can attach it to a PM somehow. PM me if you want me to send it.

I gave it a shot, but the icon still has a black background. I attached a screenshot of the issue. It is not a big deal if we can't fix it, I rarely ever use Network Utility anyway. By the way, Altemose you can remove the file.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    586.4 KB · Views: 169

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I gave it a shot, but the icon still has a black background. I attached a screenshot of the issue. It is not a big deal if we can't fix it, I rarely ever use Network Utility anyway. By the way, Altemose you can remove the file.

In the Finder does it show the background or only in the Dock?

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Did you copy the ICNS right from me or did you change its format at all?

I took the .icns, opened it in Preview, copied it, opened Get Info of Network Utility, clicked the generic icon on the top left, it highlighted blue, pasted it. I don't understand what would be causing this strange behavior.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I took the .icns, opened it in Preview, copied it,
Why did you open it in Preview, then copy it ?

I think the copy is not longer an .icns file : when I try on Mavericks, the copied file is a .tiff.

You just need to copy the .icns file in the Finder (File/copy), then paste it on the generic icon in the Info window.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Why did you open it in Preview, then copy it ?

I think the copy is not longer an .icns file : when I try on Mavericks, the copied file is a .tiff.

You just need to copy the .icns file in the Finder (File/copy), then paste it on the generic icon in the Info window.

I will give that a try!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I took the .icns, opened it in Preview, copied it, opened Get Info of Network Utility, clicked the generic icon on the top left, it highlighted blue, pasted it. I don't understand what would be causing this strange behavior.

Try Bruno's suggestion and if that fails try copying the .icns directly from me into the icon location on Tiger in the application.

n0cus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Try Bruno's suggestion and if that fails try copying the .icns directly from me into the icon location on Tiger in the application.

Putting the .icns into the application worked! Thank you everyone for the help!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    590 KB · Views: 133
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.