Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
One day I would like to replace my Apple Branded 128GB PCIe SSD, and have been wondering if Apple sells them and can install them, or would one have to purchase a non-branded SSD else where ? Full knowledge that one can get a very good SSD (Samsung 850) and use Trim Enabler, but I would like Apples own TRIM that is included on there SSD's...

Anyone know before I call Apple in the morning ? Thanks

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Anyone know before I call Apple in the morning ? Thanks

Apple doesn't sell them and no one sells any that are compatible. The only way to get a larger SSD for your computer would be to find a shady Apple service provider that will sell you one, and the price would be prohibitive.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Apple doesn't sell them and no one sells any that are compatible. The only way to get a larger SSD for your computer would be to find a shady Apple service provider that will sell you one, and the price would be prohibitive.

Wrong. OWC sells them and they are certainly not shady.

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
OWC has been "working" on these since June 2013.

OP, I wouldn't hold my breathe for OWC. eBay is your best bet if you are not wanting to sell your current machine and upgrade.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I think transcend is also working on them. They recently (last few months) released apple compatible ssd sticks for after market upgrades, OWC caps at 480 I think, transcend goes to 960. I've installed on my 2012 retina and couldn't be happier. Although they don't have the latest available now, just give it some time. From what I've seen from transcend they really seem to be investing in the Mac side of things and even have the 128 gb memory for the new Mac Pro. It would be worth watching them in the coming years to see what options they have available. They also have a member account on macrumors and are very support/community oriented from what I have encountered.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Full knowledge that one can get a very good SSD (Samsung 850) and use Trim Enabler, but I would like Apples own TRIM that is included on there SSD's...
If Samsung SSD-s didn't have TRIM (which is an ATA command), then using Trim Enabler wouldn't help you at all.
What Trim Enabler does, is disable drive ID check in the driver, so that it will issue the command also towards non-Apple SSD-s.

Last edited:

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Very interesting :confused:

I was thinking of Samsung down the road, but to this date they do not have the 840 or 850 pro SSD PCIe form factor shown below, for the newest Mid 2014 MacBook Pro, but the ones that have a full case, but who knows maybe later and is the reason why if need be I was hoping that Apple could do it. Just have to wait. No hurries. Just got the MacBook ;)

Thank you all

Edit....I goofed a little bit. Samsung only has the 840/850 SATA SSD not the PCIe SSD that Apple is using.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 9.36.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 9.36.30 AM.png
    822.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Very interesting :confused:

I was thinking of Samsung down the road, but to this date they do not have the 840 or 850 pro SSD PCIe form factor shown below, for the newest Mid 2014 MacBook Pro, but the ones that have a full case, but who knows maybe later and is the reason why if need be I was hoping that Apple could do it. Just have to wait. No hurries. Just got the MacBook ;)

Thank you all

You aren't likely to ever see brand name PCIE SSDs from major manufacturers because Apple isn't using an industry standard connection. PCs that use PCI-E SSDs tend to use the M.2 interface, which is is substantially different.

ABC5S

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Do you or anyone know if Samsung will sell the Apple version PCIe SSD with TRIM someday ? One would think they might so we won't have to use the TRIM Enabler.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Do you or anyone know if Samsung will sell the Apple version PCIe SSD with TRIM someday ? One would think they might so we won't have to use the TRIM Enabler.

There's effectively zero chance.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
most of the SSDs you find on ebay are "pulled" from an apple computer anyway since there's literally no other way to get it.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
For your logic to work, Samsung would have to label their drive internally as APPLE SSD.
Which they probably won't do. Except for the drives they specifically manufacture for Apple.
APPLE SSD is the Model name OS X driver looks for when identifying a drive.
That's what Trim Enabler tweaks -> to always pass this drive Model verification test.
SystemProfiler-AppleSSD-TRIM.gif

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Samsung pcie 1T

Someone on ebay is selling the 1T samsung pcie for $799. Says it's for the macbook pro and the mac pro...

Are these pcie SSD's the same in both the macbook pro and mac pro?

And why can't we buy them from third parties?

I find it absurd. The mac pro has been out now for 8 -9 months and you think you get them. What's the hold up?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Someone on ebay is selling the 1T samsung pcie for $799. Says it's for the macbook pro and the mac pro...

I find it absurd. The mac pro has been out now for 8 -9 months and you think you get them. What's the hold up?

The hold up is because the market is incredibly small. You have to spin up a factory to make these custom chips and sell it to what, thousands? tens of thousands?

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Was in my local Costco today and they had the MacPro displayed in the "nude". The SSD was there in plain view just waiting for someone with dubious morals to pluck it. It's quite a new store, so I guess they'll learn :/

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Was in my local Costco today and they had the MacPro displayed in the "nude". The SSD was there in plain view just waiting for someone with dubious morals to pluck it. It's quite a new store, so I guess they'll learn :/

That had a Mac Pro at Costco? You got to be kidding.

Steve Jobs would be rolling over in his grave...

----------

The hold up is because the market is incredibly small. You have to spin up a factory to make these custom chips and sell it to what, thousands? tens of thousands?

Huh? I thought Apple sells a good number of Macbook Pro's. Maybe not a lot of Mac Pros, but I would imagine the Macbook Pro has healthy sales. And eventually these things will dribble down to the Macbook Air, I would imagine.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Mac has healthy sales

As far as any PC's Mac has fairly healthy sales, what they don't have is a huge number of people wanting to upgrade their computers.

5to1

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
That had a Mac Pro at Costco? You got to be kidding.

Steve Jobs would be rolling over in his grave...

----------

Huh? I thought Apple sells a good number of Macbook Pro's. Maybe not a lot of Mac Pros, but I would imagine the Macbook Pro has healthy sales. And eventually these things will dribble down to the Macbook Air, I would imagine.

Yep, naked Mac Pro and few other Apple products aswell. This is in the UK.

WRT aftermarket SSD options, they sell a fair few machines, but how many people are prepared to pay a fair whack to upgrade the SSD at this stage (and even third party SSD's won't be peanuts)? As more units are shipped and more people become frustrated with the 128GB/256GB SSD's the market will start to become viable.

As an example think back to when 1.8" drives started being deployed in ultra portables. Despite lots of units shipping there was a considerable lag before aftermarket options became available/viable.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Although the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro both have PCIe SSDs, if I'm not mistaken, they're actually different.

The MacBook Pro ones are non-M.2 proprietary PCIe SSDs, while the Mac Pro ones are based on the Samsung XP941.

lbotez

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2003
Although the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro both have PCIe SSDs, if I'm not mistaken, they're actually different.

The MacBook Pro ones are non-M.2 proprietary PCIe SSDs, while the Mac Pro ones are based on the Samsung XP941.

Thanks for clarifying that.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

People have installed Mac Pro SSDs into Macbook Pros. The Mac Pro SSDs are faster, generally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.