Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
what is the most common cause of the G5 starting up with no chime and then not displaying video? It seems like the causes are widely varied.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
what is the most common cause of the G5 starting up with no chime and then not displaying video? It seems like the causes are widely varied.

Power Mac G5 boots fine without graphics card, so if it shows up in your network, there is your answer.

If you see that power led blinks few times after power on, that is RAM or memory controler / dimm slots on logic board.

Else: logic board.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
It's not plugged in?

Perhaps we could assume common sense. The power button lights up the chime does not occur. I've determined it is not the video card it's either bad ram or the logic board. I ordered a new G5 to replace it for now.

Thank you Detective Sherlocke.

oodsigma

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, UK
Perhaps we could assume common sense. The power button lights up the chime does not occur. I've determined it is not the video card it's either bad ram or the logic board. I ordered a new G5 to replace it for now.

Thank you Detective Sherlocke.

TRUST ME - Part of my job is to help people out at work with their IT, you'd be suprised how many people complay their PC or laptop won;t start up when either the battery is dead or someone has unplugged it!

There is a website that had a solution to this I saw recently - https://happymacs.wordpress.com/ - they have an article about a special switch inside some G5's that allows a force restart of the power system on the machine and this can sometimes make them work a when there's no start-up chime.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2014
I appreciate the help but this thread is almost 9 months old guys my G5 is fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.