Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UntoldAnimation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Ok, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this is really urgent and I really want to hear what you guys think. I put this on the Apple Community Support thing, so I'll just copy and paste that to here:

Ok, this is really serious. I was using iMovie on my laptop and for no reason it just froze. I can't move my mouse.

The last time this happened to me was almost 4 months ago. I held down the power button and forced my Macbook Pro to shut down. When I booted it up again and went back on iMovie, everything was gone. All my projects and everything in my event library's, gone. While at first I was really distraught I realised I still had my footage on my iPod, so I just imported the clips again. (For some reason it wouldn't let me import in any of the event libraries I already had, so I had to make a new one)

This time though I had lots more footage for my projects and I needed to delete some of the clips off my iPod to save space.

So I'm really scared to shut my laptop down because I don't want to lose my project. I've spent 4 months working on this, spending about two hours every day filming. I really don't want to lose my work. I still have some footage left on my iPod, but not nearly as much as I did. Someone please give my some guidance here, I'm very anxious right now

This is the post:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/26505520#26505520

So yeah, what do you guys think?
Maybe there is some folder where all my Events/Projects are stored but I never thought to check before my Macbook froze. As stated, the last time this happened I shut down my laptop and turned it on again, only to find that everything was gone.

They weren't completely empty, to be exact, but when I go on one of the projects that I made before I lost everything the first time, is says 'Missing Video' or something, so I just assumed that like my event library, the clips in my projects were gone too.

Now I don't know for sure that if I restart my laptop my project will be gone again, but considering I've worked 4 months on this, I don't want to take any chances. Luckily enough, just the day before I uploaded what I had done in the video so far on Youtube in 1080p, but there now way I can export that back into iMovie.

So what should I do? Should I risk restarting my laptop? What else can I try first? Thanks in advance ;)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So what should I do? Should I risk restarting my laptop? What else can I try first? Thanks in advance ;)

If your computer is locked up, you really only have one option; restart.

You don't have a backup? There really is no excuse for not having a backup. Apple makes it ridiculously easy, and external HDDs are cheap.

UntoldAnimation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2014
Everything turned out better than expected

If your computer is locked up, you really only have one option; restart.

You don't have a backup? There really is no excuse for not having a backup. Apple makes it ridiculously easy, and external HDDs are cheap.

Yeah, I know it wasn't wise not to make a backup, but you don't have to shove it in my face -.-

In the end though, I restarted and nothing seems to be missing, so...
thanks I guess?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
In the end though, I restarted and nothing seems to be missing, so...
thanks I guess?

Thats good, but I really do suggest getting a backup system setup immediately. I've seen too many people lose important pictures and videos because "it didn't seem like it was a big deal." Once you look into the cost of data recovery, backup makes a lot of sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.