Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After a long delay, the August Smart Lock is finally shipping out to preorder customers beginning today. First introduced in May of 2013, the August Smart Lock is a Bluetooth-based iPhone-compatible locking system designed by Jason Johnson and notable designer Yves Béhar.

At August, our mission is to make beautiful products that allow your physical environment to seamlessly respond to you. Today, we are one step closer to achieving that goal. We are excited to announce that the August Smart Lock has begun shipping in limited quantities.
The August Smart Lock, which allows users to unlock their doors with their iPhones, is crafted from anodized aluminum and looks similar to a standard home lock. It comes with several different faceplates and deadbolt adapters to fit the majority of locks on the market, functioning on four AA batteries.

Like competing products from Lockitron and Kevo, the lock can be programmed remotely to let in visitors through an accompanying iPhone app. It's also designed to monitor when guests enter and it can be customized with specific timers.

Initial preorders of the August Smart Lock, which originally had an estimated shipping date of November or December 2013, were available for $199, but the retail price of the lock is now $249.99. The company plans to fulfill orders for the lock over the course of the next few months, with new orders displaying a prospective shipping date of "late October."

Article Link: August Smart Lock Finally Begins Shipping to Customers

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
The internet of things have arrived. I think this is a huge part of the reason why Apple is making the iWatch.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
Don't need this. Expensive and not really necessary.

I'll skip this and wait for September.

caliguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2005

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.30.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-26 at 3.30.56 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 186

ricci

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
NYC
Trust me on this one ! Locks and anything wifi or internet = hacking! Don't trust it!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wow, this looks way nicer than the Kevo I was going to buy. Will keep my eyes on real world use as a lot of peeps complain about Kwikset smart lock and virtual keys.

Hoping real world use matches their great promo video.

I for one am personally happy MacRumors posted this. Hadn't heard of it until I saw this post.

jkestner

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2013
Trust me on this one ! Locks and anything wifi or internet = hacking! Don't trust it!

Don't get too excited. This lock doesn't connect to the internet directly. It uses Bluetooth to talk to your smartphone only.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Don't get too excited. This lock doesn't connect to the internet directly. It uses Bluetooth to talk to your smartphone only.

So how can it be programmed remotely and how can it inform you if the lock is opened? I would think it has to have some other kind of connectivity, no?

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
Keep seeing reports on this saying they are not sure or are hoping homekit will be supported. They were in the Center spot on the homekit partners graphic flashed on stage at the keynote!

Can't wait for mine to come, this with homekit/Siri = magic!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 162

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2014
I think it's cool, but how many people will actually be trying this? So far this thread contains just one person who pre-ordered it...

I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather spend the $200 on the next iPhone, not the door.

I'd rather buy a Nest than an electronic door lock, just in terms of iHome priorities. Then lights. Call me old fashioned, but keys are cheap and I'll take em.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Has anyone clicked on the "Order summary" link in their pre-order email (from months ago)? I pre-ordered at the price of $199, yet the link is now showing $249. I'm going to be mighty peeved if they charge an extra $50 to my credit card.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
I'd rather buy a Nest than an electronic door lock, just in terms of iHome priorities. Then lights. Call me old fashioned, but keys are cheap and I'll take em.
Heh. OK, maybe I'm the second person here who pre-ordered an august lock. I'm not sure how good of an idea this is, but I would like some automated lock solution that mounts on the inside without changing the outside (the deadbolt outside is fully exposed to the elements and is in direct, hot sunlight).

However, in the meantime, I now have a home automation system with an old, non-trendy wifi thermostat, a controllable keypad deadbolt lock (Schlage), numerous door sensors (including a garage door sensor), a couple of motion sensors, and a few controlled lights. Keys may be cheap, but you can lock yourself out of the home (I've done this twice :eek:), and being able to enter without keys is very nice. (And, no, I don't like hiding keys in the yard.)

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
people still locking their doors?

thought we'd got past all this dishonesty and theft stuff

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Heh. OK, maybe I'm the second person here who pre-ordered an august lock. I'm not sure how good of an idea this is, but I would like some automated lock solution that mounts on the inside without changing the outside (the deadbolt outside is fully exposed to the elements and is in direct, hot sunlight).

However, in the meantime, I now have a home automation system with an old, non-trendy wifi thermostat, a controllable keypad deadbolt lock (Schlage), numerous door sensors (including a garage door sensor), a couple of motion sensors, and a few controlled lights. Keys may be cheap, but you can lock yourself out of the home (I've done this twice :eek:), and being able to enter without keys is very nice. (And, no, I don't like hiding keys in the yard.)

I'm the third, apparently. And I have a Nest thermostat, Nest smoke detector, Wemo light switch, and Hue lights.

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
I preordered. I have hue and nest protect as well. Was going to get the nest thermostat but after the google-thing I have decided to wait see and possibly get the Lyric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.