Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
Girlfriend said to me last night have you noticed how most blokes with some sort of beard have an iPhone, my reply was haven't really noticed tbh... oh hang on i have a beard aswell hmmmm.

I know beards are in fashion atm and i have one myself which i'm quite proud off, but has anybody else noticed this can't be true can it? :D

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Girlfriend said to me last night have you noticed how most blokes with some sort of beard have an iPhone, my reply was haven't really noticed tbh... oh hang on i have a beard aswell hmmmm.

I know beards are in fashion atm and i have one myself which i'm quite proud off, but has anybody else noticed this can't be true can it? :D

No one sports a beard here in L.A.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Beards are pretty fashionable at the moment so I think that observation is coincidental and has no real factual link to be honest. I had a beard briefly and an iPhone, but don't any more. I know plenty of friends who are clean shaven with iPhones too, not to mention the amount of teenage males who can't even grow one lol. ;)

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I have a beard.

I can grab it in my fist, then grab what's sticking out with my other fist, and still have some sticking out below that.

So, for those of you that don't have a beard, I have plenty enough for all of us. :cool:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
You might want to research that as currently they most certainly are.
I am aware that a lot of men tend to not shave lately. (for the past ~ 7 years)

----------

You need to get out more.
No, thank you. :D

If a whole lot of people do something, it usually means it's not fashionable anymore.

From an aesthetique standpoint only very few men look good with a beard.

Most just look unkept and gross.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
It's become quite fashionable, check out Pinterest for some of the trends. I couldn't handle mine for more than 3 weeks.
A nice huge beard was fashionable about 5 years ago.
Now it's reached it's peak popularity with the masses. The general population is usually 5 years behind.
I couldn't spot a new trend so far, but I assume that the beard fashion wil fade out in the next 36months.

I might be wrong on this one though, since the last time facial hair was envouge it stayed for a while longer (60s/70s)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Age and country might dictate this of course. In Britain they've suddenly become fashionable over the last two years. The catwalks are full of them at the moment and quite a few blokes in my age group have suddenly grown them to which the women love lol. They itch too much for my liking and I was alive in the 60's and 70's.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Age and country might dictate this of course. In Britain they've suddenly become fashionable over the last two years. The catwalks are full of them at the moment and quite a few blokes in my age group have suddenly grown them to which the women love lol. They itch too much for my liking and I was alive in the 60's and 70's.
what you are saying is right, but the majority is behind 5years as usual.

5 years ago:
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/ZRDaxDIPGmM/RAFW+2009+10+Men+Women+RTW+Catwalk/IDyv7VZ69Nb

And beard ≠ beard!

Awesome beard:
5.jpg

Un-beard:
conchitawurst.jpg

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've got to say I think fashions can start and be influenced by the catwalk, but it's the general public on the high street who up hold it to make sure it remains a trend. It's a bit like saying the iPhone is no longer a fashionable accessory because it's not 2007 any more, regardless of the fact it's still popular amongst us mere mortals. Beards may have been. Introduced in 2009 but it's only now in the UK that the fashion has once again turned into a trend IMO. :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I am aware that a lot of men tend to not shave lately. (for the past ~ 7 years)

----------

No, thank you. :D

If a whole lot of people do something, it usually means it's not fashionable anymore.

From an aesthetique standpoint only very few men look good with a beard.

Most just look unkept and gross.

But better than a cigarette hanging out of your mouth!:rolleyes:

How about a berka or turbin? How popular are they in the UK.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

I've been rocking my beard since I was 17, I'm 35 now. Total trend setter right here. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.