Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will launch a thinner MacBook near the end of this year or sometime next year, according to a new report from Digitimes. Citing supply chain sources in Taiwan, the report notes that component production has already begun in small volumes. Apple will also reportedly cease production of the 13-inch non-Retina MacBook Pro by the end of 2014.

macbook_air_2013_3-800x270.jpg
A report last month claimed that Intel's continued delays of its Broadwell chip may cause Apple to push back the release of its 12-inch MacBook until late this 2014 or early 2015. The 12-inch MacBook is said to include a Retina display and may either be a successor to the MacBook Air or join Apple's current 11-inch and 13-inch models.

A previous report in June stated that Apple would begin production of a 12-inch MacBook Air in the third quarter of this year, with Quanta Computer in charge of assembly. The 12-inch MacBook Air was also described as appearing similar to the 11-inch and 13-inch models, but featuring a Retina display and internal changes to various components.

Other reports throughout the year have also shared information on a 12-inch MacBook Air, with NPD DisplaySearch and KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo also stating that the new notebook would feature a Retina display. A user on a Chinese forum who previously shared accurate information noted that the 12-inch MacBook Air would incorporate a new cooling system and button-less trackpad design.

If Apple is indeed looking to launch a new MacBook late this year or early next year, the company may unveil the notebook at an October event following the introduction of the iPhone 6 in September.

Article Link: Apple to Reportedly Launch Thinner MacBook by End of 2015

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
So the current MacBook Pros are already very thin. The MacBook Airs have been rocking the same design for many years, and are thin. Now they want to launch another category?

And it doesn't help that the specs of all them could blend.

I think the priority should be a brand new retina MacBook Air with a new thinner design.

Retina Air 12''
Retina Pro 13''
Retina Air 14''
Retina Pro 15''

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
If this happens:

I bet Apple will keep those 2 models (11" and 13.3") and increase the price of this baby, like they did with the first rMBP.

Then, the next year, they will only keep the 12" model. That's always been their M.O.

iBungie

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
12" (potentially retina) screen suggests a portable laptop that is readable. Sweet spot for me. My first Mac was a 12" Powerbook though I've enjoyed various machines since then.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Rather have thicker one myself.
One that has more ports and options. It’s a shame that I can’t even buy one on the refurb store with an optical drive and ethernet port now.

EDIT: There is one there now!

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
A new design but still with an old chip?

Or an announcement followed by production when the new Intel chips are *finally* available?

Or different chips entirely?

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
So the current MacBook Pros are already very thin. The MacBook Airs have been rocking the same design for many years, and is thin. Now they want to launch another category?

And it doesn't help that the specs of all them could blend.

I think the priority should be a brand new retina MacBook Air with a new thinner design.

Retina Air 12''
Retina Pro 13''
Retina Air 14''
Retina Pro 15''

How can they blend? One line uses ULV processors. The other doesn't. This impacts everything (expectations for battery, design, graphics, etc.).

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I really question the future of MacBook Air... As the the Pro is approaching in thickness the only reason for the air to stay in the market is to be MUCH cheaper aiming just on people that need to write some text and surf the web....

Last edited:

quadrakid

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
12" with super dense high res screen would certainly hit the sweet spot for many consumers.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Seems hard to believe this rumored 12" rMBA could be released without Broadwell. Not much actual new information here.

Broadwell will be in shops by Christmas. So Intel will offer broadwell to Apple in October/November

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I had an idea that this was coming, as I saw all the recent sales on Macbook and Macbook Air models at various retailers within the last few weeks.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I'm just waiting for apples next Cinema Display offering to be as sleek as the current iMacs with a 4K resolution. That will compliment the rMBP I'm soon to purchase.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A thinner air - really? Wow, its both impressive and sad at the same time. Impressive technically wise but sad since they seem to be so obsessed with thinness. I think a better display, i.e., retina would go a long way instead of slimming the laptop down any further.

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
I wish people would stop complaining about Apple going thin. I for one appreciate the work that goes into devices that are easier to use because of their lightness and thinness. I went from a 2008 MacBook Air to a 2013 Macbook Pro Retina and the Macbook Pro is so much heavier, its almost a chore to pickup compared to the MBA. Ok you pay a price for the power of the rMBP, but my next laptop will be an Air I think

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
The Intel Core M chip, which would end up in the Retina MacBook Air, will be available Late 2014. It has been in production for some time now.

Rumorsites just copy and paste from analysts, they don't do research on their own. Pathetic.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I really question the future of MacBook Air... As the the Pro is approaching is thickness the only reason for the air to stay in the market is to be MUCH cheaper aiming just on people that need to write some text and surf the web....

Maybe that's it then: The MacBook Air will be replaced with an ultra thin 'MacBook'. After all, we used to have only MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.