Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
RW 5 was released in 2010 (albeit in December). Its coming on 4 years since a major update to the product. They promised a public beta at the beginning of 2014. So far nothing.

I have simple needs but I like the balance of ease of use with the flexibility it offered.

Anyone else looking to switch to a different product?

I've looked at Sandvox in the past, I may take another look at them now.

I wonder if the whole web development application category is going through shrinkage. The need to create "static" websites via Sandvox and Rapidweaver is shrinking, and the use of CMS based products are more prevalent now.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
There will be haters, but I'm moving on to WordPress.
Many themes, many plugins, easy enough to use & most importantly, being constantly upgraded.

I will say this, I'm NOT a web dev. Just a guy who needs a website and trying to cut costs (as risky as it is).

Perhaps the professionals out there will beg to differ, but for me, WP is the way to go.

Good luck,
keebler

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
For some reason, I've not really considered wordpress. I might circle back to them and see how easy it is.

My needs are simple, and RW provided a decent mixture of ease of use but some flexibility thanks to plugins. I'm finding that its taking me more work to get the website to work the way I want it too, then I think its needed. Plus for some reason the templates I'm using with Rapidweaver mess up on my iPhone and iPad. They correctly render on a mobile device but they limit what I can see making image viewing impossible (they cut of images so fit in the screen instead of shrinking the image).

I'm playing with Sandvox right now, and I'll probably post a thread on Sandvox only discussions

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I wonder if the whole web development application category is going through shrinkage.

I think it's more that people expect certain things from a site or Web app these days.

Wordpress or cms integration is almost a given and if you're not designing responsive sites then most people will look elsewhere.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I think it's more that people expect certain things from a site or Web app these days.

Wordpress or cms integration is almost a given and if you're not designing responsive sites then most people will look elsewhere.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. My needs are such that a static website fits the bill and it was easier setting that up in RW. Given that I'm haven issues with RapidWeaver has given me pause.

I'm still trying out Sandvox as noted and its ok, but where RW gives you a ton of flexibility with its plugins, I'm feeling a bit constrained with Sandvox, i.e., I can't even more a text box around the screen.

This isn't something I'm willing to invest a ton of time, its a one off thing that I'll want to set up and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.