Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'BioShock' for iOS Now Available Worldwide

Following hints of a release earlier this summer, the iOS version of 2K Games' original first person shooter BioShock is now available in the App Store. Rumored since 2008, BioShock on iOS is a port of the full, original game first released in 2007.

Set in 1960, BioShock asks players to take on the role of Jack, a plane crash survivor who finds his way into the defunct underwater city of Rapture. Jack has to fight his way out of the city, battling Big Daddies and other enemies while using an array of heavy weaponry and taking advantage of genetics-altering plasmids that grant him super powers. Over the course of the game, players also discover the rich history behind the creation of Rapture and its eventual fall.

Quote:
One of the greatest first person shooters of all time, BioShock comes to iOS!

BioShock is the "genetically enhanced" first person shooter where you can turn everything into a weapon: the environment, your body, fire and water, and even your worst enemies.

You are a cast-away in Rapture, an underwater Utopia torn apart by civil war. Caught between powerful forces, and hunted down by genetically modified "splicers" and deadly security systems, you have to come to grips with a deadly, mysterious world filled with powerful technology and fascinating characters. No encounter ever plays out the same, and no two gamers will play the game the same way.
Earlier this month, our sister site TouchArcade went hands on with BioShock for iOS, and found that it runs "like a dream on iOS hardware" but had somewhat poor virtual controls as is common with first person shooters on a touchscreen. It does, however, work very well with a Bluetooth controller, which makes it "just like playing on a console." The game's graphics were slightly toned down to make it run on iOS, removing the fog and dynamic shadows, but TouchArcade says "you'd be hard-pressed to tell."

BioShock is limited to newer iOS devices, including the iPad Air, Retina iPad mini, fourth-generation iPad, and the iPhone 5/5c/5s.

BioShock can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'BioShock' for iOS Now Available Worldwide
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:06 PM   #2
AkuskaUK
macrumors regular

Interesting! Now Pc games can be played on iOS, i wonder what is next?
iPhone 6 128GB Silver + all previous.
AkuskaUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:13 PM   #3
regkilla
macrumors regular

Loved this game on the Xbox 360.
regkilla is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:21 PM   #4
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if we'll see an A7-based iPod Touch this year? The lack of rumours or leaks makes it seem unlikely. That would mean this Bioshock release or really lack of release marks the beginning of the end of iPod Touch gaming which used to be so heavily promoted by Apple.
commander.data is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:35 PM   #5
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Third generation iPad owner and this is the first time I've personally seen an incompatible app. It begins!!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:37 PM   #6
MaulRx
macrumors regular

Meh. Complicated controls just don't work on iPad.
MaulRx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:39 PM   #7
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

No support for Mfi game controllers like the Logitech Powershell?
plasticparadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Virtuous33
Banned

Is there no controller support? If not, that's sad, and really sad for Apple because they were too stupid to understand that they needed to make their own controller. It wasn't hard to see that third party controllers weren't going to go anywhere. I personally own the Moga one because I won it in a contest, and it is laughably bad, and ridiculously cheaply made, with poor materials. There are also virtually no apps that support them because developers know that no one has them. Only Apple could sell one that a lot of people would buy.

I wish Apple would surprise everyone with a controller of their own designed for the iPhone 6 which could be used for either size.
Virtuous33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:42 PM   #9
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuous33 View Post
Is there no controller support? If not, that's sad, and really sad for Apple because they were too stupid to understand that they needed to make their own controller. It wasn't hard to see that third party controllers weren't going to go anywhere. I personally own the Moga one because I won it in a contest, and it is laughably bad, and ridiculously cheaply made, with poor materials. There are also virtually no apps that support them because developers know that no one has them. Only Apple could sell one that a lot of people would buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticparadox View Post
No support for Mfi game controllers like the Logitech Powershell?
It has controller support.
jclo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:42 PM   #10
cebseb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUndecided View Post
Third generation iPad owner and this is the first time I've personally seen an incompatible app. It begins!!
I was holding on to my old 30pin devices for so long! Looks like its time for an upgrade.
cebseb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:43 PM   #11
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post
It has controller support.
Yes, the article states it has Bluetooth controller support but I'm asking about Mfi controllers.
plasticparadox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:44 PM   #12
cycledance
macrumors member

overhyped and ultrabrutal crap.
cycledance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:48 PM   #13
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Touchscreen controls with this game?

Hahahahaha
Aluminum213 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:48 PM   #14
The Doctor11
macrumors 68030

Its sucks I cant play it on any of my devices
The Doctor11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yeah, saw that on AppShopper just now. It made me laugh. Only one of my devices can play it, and it's the one that I wouldn't play something like this on.

But I get it. I've had lag issues on some games where it needed an update for it to work better on my A5 devices. For a game that will have continuous updates for the next year, I think they chose the best option.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:04 PM   #16
plasticparadox
macrumors 6502

The game runs in pretty low resolution on my 5s. Just so people are aware; definitely NOT retina quality.
plasticparadox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:14 PM   #17
Icaras
macrumors 601

MFi controller support. Check!

But does it support icloud?
Icaras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 PM   #18
mejsric
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkuskaUK View Post
Interesting! Now Pc games can be played on iOS, i wonder what is next?
Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!
mejsric is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:28 PM   #19
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejsric View Post
Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!
I've been pushing for iCloud support across both Mac and iOS for years but for some reason, developers don't want to do it. I would absolutely love to see cross platform iCloud embraced one day.
Icaras is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:37 PM   #20
TechZeke
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Which is why I plan to rid my iPad 3 this year and shoot for an iPad mini retina 2. Or, if a 5.5" iPhone 6 does exist, I'm throwing all my money into an unlocked 32GB 5.5" iPhone 6 and calling it day.(iPad is by far my least used device) I may still do that even with the 4.7".

The warning signs of the iPad 3's demise were when Apple decided to refresh it with the iPad 4 so quickly.

Last edited by OllyW; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: circumventing the profanity filter
TechZeke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:08 AM   #21
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechZeke View Post
Which is why I plan to rid my iPad 3 this year and shoot for an iPad mini retina 2. Or, if a 5.5" iPhone 6 does exist, I'm throwing all my money into an unlocked 32GB 5.5" iPhone 6 and calling it day.(iPad is by far my least used device) I may still do that even with the 4.7".

The warning signs of the iPad 3's demise were when Apple decided to refresh it with the iPad 4 so quickly.
Yeah it really doesn't bother me all that much. It's my least used device as well and I don't play many games, let alone graphics intensive stuffs.

But for a game I don't really care about buying at the moment, it's out of reach and suddenly there's this sickening tinge of "butIwantitthough…".

Last edited by OllyW; Aug 28, 2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: clean up to quoted post
NameUndecided is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:44 AM   #22
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Are you serious? Many games don't run or have problems running on iPad 3, essentially performance are like iPad2 but with retina (you need more power to drive a display like that).
ikir is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:47 AM   #23
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander.data View Post
I wonder if we'll see an A7-based iPod Touch this year? The lack of rumours or leaks makes it seem unlikely. That would mean this Bioshock release or really lack of release marks the beginning of the end of iPod Touch gaming which used to be so heavily promoted by Apple.
Kids have moved to iPads and iPads mini

----------

Quote:
It is 2 gens behind already and in a few days it's going to be 3 gens behind ...
Carlanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:13 AM   #24
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
i had the same thought ... oh well i dont like to play these type of games on a iDevice anyway. im more like a quick game like QuizUp kind of person. also too expensive for an app

always wonder how these type of games are allowed to be sold on the german app store. i mean the xbox counterpart is rated 18+ over here and you have to show your ID when you buy it at the store and even have to verify with an ID if you would order it on amazon. yet it can be downloaded on the itunes store without any verification

Last edited by bushido; Aug 28, 2014 at 02:44 AM.
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:13 AM   #25
MacBH928
macrumors 6502a

Why would they release a 5 year old game in degraded graphics?

I am no expert, but last I heard was that porting a game takes serious effort. The kind of players who want to play Bioshock probably had it at least for 3 years by now.

I'll never understand how publishers decide what games to release
MacBH928 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion