Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cis4life

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Good Day,

I purchased a Cosair 256gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It connects with no issue, but when I tried to run a windows 8 VM (4gb of ram dedicated to the VM), it ran EXTREMELY SLOW.

Should I be able to run a VM from this USB drive?

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Good Day,

I purchased a Cosair 256gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It connects with no issue, but when I tried to run a windows 8 VM (4gb of ram dedicated to the VM), it ran EXTREMELY SLOW.

Should I be able to run a VM from this USB drive?

Not seeing you machine spec? presumably it's also USB3? if so, odd because I have had few issues running VMS from memory sticks let alone Flash.

Have you tried running the vm from a local drive? or run benchmarks software against the flash drive to make sure it's up to spec?

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
^^ I'll echo what AtomicGreg stated. First, benchmark the USB3 device using something like Black Magic to get a feel for its performance. Second, test the VM on internal storage.

I don't run VMs from USB3, but I have run one from an SD card with "ok" performance. With that said I'm going to test running a VM from my USB3 flash drive (32 gig Sandisk Extreme) as well as run Black Magic against it. Will report back when done.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I copied 12 gig worth of Ubuntu VM to my flash drive and ran a few things - firefox, software updater (downloaded 114 meg), rebooted etc. It's not as fast as internal storage, but it's not slow either.

Attached is the result of running Black Magic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 8.37.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 8.37.16 AM.png
    876.3 KB · Views: 104
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.