Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community

Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:14 PM   #1
DaedalusDE
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to DaedalusDE
Short Film Deadline (Help me out with this)

Ok so i'm a junior in high school who got suckered into taking Spanish 4 Honor... long story short we get this really cool project where we have to make a short film (like a full legnth short film... um... like 15 to 20 minutes) in spanish... and we have 45 minutes each day to work on the script and then we have to go out and shoot (and edit) these films on our own... not to mention the fact that we need props, costumes, make-up, music, a title sequence and credits... so anyway we have until february 6th to hand in our projects... does that due date seem unreasonable to anyone reading this post?

Bill Gates: Monopoly is a game, I want to control the whole ****ing world!
DaedalusDE is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:32 PM   #2
jelloshotsrule
macrumors 601

no, you could certainly do it... shouldn't take much more than a week or two to do the script. shoot it in another week. edit for another week... seems fine to me.

i don't see you doing a film where you're cutting a ton, just doing cuts/dissolves for changes in scene, rather than a ton within a scene.... but that's just going on what i did when i was in high school.... what will you be using? (camera/editing equipment)
Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:44 PM   #3
DaedalusDE
macrumors regular

maybe i forgot to mention this, but the script has to be in spanish... and it has to be based on an already existing tv show (so my group decided to do scooby- doo)... i'm better off than everyone else doing the project seeing as i work for an editing house and have access to really really... really really really nice equipment (including a 17k DV-CAM camera and a 7k FCP editing station)... but i still think that its not nearly enough time to do it especially seeing as none of the other groups have the advantages that i have.

also the biggest problem is that as i have previously mentioned... WE ARE IN HIGH SCHOOL!!! in order to organize a shoot we have to do mucho planning AND we cant do anything between the hours of 7am to 3pm during the week... not to mention we have to get permission to be filming at different locations which could take alot of persuasion...

by the way... if anyone wants a copy of the finished project, it'll be put online (prolly on kazaa) as an mpeg or an mp4...

Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:50 PM   #4
jelloshotsrule
macrumors 601

sorry, still no compassion from me.

february 6 is no problem.

you're in spanish 4 HONORS. you should know a thing or two about spanish...

i made a macbeth movie that was 40 minutes in about a month. full credits.... actually, most of my time was spent on credits... using director in those days.... doing tape to tape editing... as a junior in high school.

so you need 25 less minutes, and it's in spanish, so those nearly even out. but you have better equipment these days. and people to help.

no reason you can't do it.

ps. in the time it takes you to post all this crap, and read and reply to each post after... you could've written half of it.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:57 PM   #5
DaedalusDE
macrumors regular

just for the record i know Regents spanish (which is basically 'hola come estas') and never asked to be in honors (i tried dropping but the biotch chairperson was having her period or something when i asked...

but anyway... just out of curiosity jelloshot, whats ur film background? cause im planning on studying film in college and im trying to see what some other people have been doing

Old Jan 15, 2003, 04:59 PM   #6
Dignan
macrumors 6502a

yeah, ummm...so long as you get the script done, a high school level short film requires less planning and organization and lighting and all that. remember, its a spanish class, not a film class. they arent expecting an oscar winner.

and there is a thread somewhere for these types of things...(j- you should read it, i think i might have put stuff for you to see, not sure..)
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:24 PM   #7
Jeromino
macrumors newbie

well..

Quote:
WE ARE IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!
As a Freshman in college, I'd like to tell you that you'd be amazed how many people sell themselves short throughout High School with that simple disclaimer. In addition, its prevalence forced me to do far too many presentations and demonstrations to disprove the hordes of others using that line. We had a pretty ambitious group in high school - threw a soup-to-nuts rock concert on the front lawn . . . but only after we stopped saying "We're in high school" and they started saying "I can't believe they're in high school." Turn it around

That said, I had to film and edit a 15-minute program that went between narration and acting regarding the Oedipus cycle in about a week last year. It was in english, but all other factors aside (well, and the fact that I was using a PC to edit video at the time, while you have access to a 7k FCP suite) should allow you to get this thing done and be tweaking the fine points by the beginning of February.

And like others have said, HS stuff is low-intensity production. Good luck!
Jeromino is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:27 PM   #8
asparagui
macrumors member

Yeah, don't worry about the technical end of things. Shoot outside on the weekends (preferably a sunny day) and inside at night during the week.

Just clean up your script. 20 minutes is a lot of content to fill. I'd shoot for 15, tops...that's basically how long a Scooby Doo episode is. (heh...had a teach who used to write for that show...) 4 days of 5 pages a day is a good pace. 1-2 locations each day gives you 5-8 scenes for the script. You/your actors can be both the scooby doo characters and the villians, simplifying that end of things.

If you need to, write the script in English and then translate it (don't know how good you are). In the worst-case scenario, subtitle everything.

Make it funny. Have fun. That's what it's all about.

-Brett
www.universe42.com
asparagui is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:31 PM   #9
jelloshotsrule
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
just out of curiosity jelloshot, whats ur film background? cause im planning on studying film in college and im trying to see what some other people have been doing
it's even funnier when you don't really know the language... you can have fun with it. make it bad spanglish, and it'll be funny.

i'm a senior at nyu. studying film. concentrating in computer/3D animation.

dig-. will have a look
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:35 PM   #10
DaedalusDE
macrumors regular

ok so thanks for all of the advice... would any of you care to hear the plot summary for our scooby-doo? well... i dont care cause im gonna tell you anyway

the video is technically supposed to be about a family with a problem... but whatever we got this approved...

"Velma is having a coming out party and Shaggy is having a drug intervention at the same (haunted) hotel and the same time... scooby follows a trail of scooby-snacks into the hotel and mixes up the signs to the parties and all the potheads go to the coming out party and all the lesbians go to the intervention... long story short after much mayhem it turns out it was Old Man Withers and Velma and Shaggy overcome their problems...

kinda risque for a high school project but hell we got it approved

Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:39 PM   #11
jelloshotsrule
macrumors 601

who's gonna play scooby?

how does his crazy dog talk sound in spanish?
Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:45 PM   #12
DaedalusDE
macrumors regular

I get to play scooby... i've been doing the scooby laugh since i saw the movie in july... or was it august... hold on lemme check my ticket stub... ... ... my bad... it was june... oh yeah! it was right in the middle of regents week... so anyway

scooby sounds pretty much the same in spanish as he does in english... the only real problem is that i'm the tallest one in the group... hmm... well scooby is like 6 feet tall anyway... isnt he?

by the way... if anyone here is from long island and happens to be going to the apple store in Roosevelt Field... dont be surprised if you see a 6 foot tall scooby doo running around outside being chased by a small camera crew

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Community