Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtt69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Hi
I have a big problem with my macbook pro 1260 2008: After updates and restart, the mac did not start anymore. I've tried all the combinations of keys and all kinds of procedures but still the mac stay silent; not exactly silent (dvd player, HDD and fans are running) but no chime at beginning (boing sound) so no hope of any action to correct problems. I know the mac is not dead. I suspect a corrupted SMC or EFI update that prevent the mac to react.
My question is, is there a way to physically go back to previous state of the machine?
I've tested the HDD with usb adapter on another mac and it works perfectly.

Thanks for any help. I am lost...

C.B
Sorry for poor english, I'm french

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There is no facility to roll back updates. If you have a Time Machine backup (or any other backup) you can roll back OS X updates via a restore, but I think you're completely out of luck for SMC and EFI updates since they require flashing.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Mike has it right I fear, since the dawn of time firmware and bios updates have been subject to catastrophic failure if the update doesn't complete for any reason and there is no going back or forward without an external means of flashing the ROM that the update was being applied to.

Apple may be able to rectify it but I don't think it is user-fixable if that is the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.