Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Siri?

• Yes!

Votes: 92 57.5%
  • No!

Votes: 68 42.5%

• Total voters

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Does anyone actually still use Siri? I feel like she just drains my battery, so I always have her shut off.
And if you do, what commands do you mostly use?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Sure, all the time. I use Siri to set timers while I'm cooking, and in the car, I use it to get directions, "read" and respond to texts, and control iTunes. Sometimes I'll use it to do a web lookup instead of having to type in a longer phrase to search.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Yes. To set timers (like if I'm cooking, often I forget about it, and I have to start over, so I just say "timer 10 minutes"), alarms "wake me up at seven", reminders (e.g.: where I live, the street parking spots are mostly a blue zone, meaning it's pay free from saturday evening to monday morning. If I park there during that time, I tell Siri "Remind me to move the car at 11pm" since 11pm is usually when I walk the dogs. Also to avoid having to look for a contact to dial.

mojito

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
Siri is a useful tool when my phone is the only source of entertainment around and I have read every blog and website I go to, texted anyone I might want to talk to, and gotten bored with whatever game or app I might play with. Then I choose Siri. I have conversations with her to see if she'll say curse words or funny stuff. This is what Siri is useful for (to me.) Some people actually use it as intended, but it seems to be a small minority.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Part of the issue here is probably not Siris fault....its that people dont like being somewhere in public where folk can see them using voice activation stuff like this and its probably not just limited to Siri. Even the natural conversation style of Siri still feels unnatural.

I will use it in the car where its a lot safer or at home in the kitchen to set a timer but standing in the pub asking it to ring my mate because he's late just feels like i'm setting myself up to get slated by those around me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does anyone actually still use Siri? I feel like she just drains my battery, so I always have her shut off.
And if you do, what commands do you mostly use?
Why shut off vs. simply not using it (until you might need to at some point)?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
still? havent even used it since the 4S days

Why shut off vs. simply not using it (until you might need to at some point)?

i turned it off because i kept hitting the damn siri icon on the keyboard by mistake all the time. so many times the DUH DOH sound popped up while i was in class lol even when set to mute

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
i find it to be most useful when it comes to setting reminders

"remind me to call jasmine tomorrow at 10:30" takes so much less time than fiddling with the clunky reminders app

"remind me to burn a dvd for mike when i get to work"
so nice

outside of that... meh.

if siri was faster and more reliable i'd use it more often.. but there have been too many mornings where "turn off all my alarms" led to a thirty second pause followed by "i'm sorry, but i'm not able to take any requests right now, please try again later"

...when i'm connected to wifi

so annoying.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
still? havent even used it since the 4S days

i turned it off because i kept hitting the damn siri icon on the keyboard by mistake all the time. so many times the DUH DOH sound popped up while i was in class lol even when set to mute

That's not Siri. The icon is for speech to text.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I use it every day. I use it to place calls. I never used voice-dialing on feature phones, but it takes longer to get to the dial pad on an iPhone. I use it to create appointments, which would take much longer to do in Calendar. I create reminders with it. I use it for Maps (although wish it would let me use Google Maps). And I use it for find my friends. I actually find it very useful.

I also have it set to call me Big Daddy.

And sometimes I enjoy saying, "Say my name bitch." And it'll say, "Your____, but since we're friends I get to call you Big Daddy."

That's pretty cool.

BTW, I am as progressive as they come, so I don't want any negative feedback about bitch/big daddy. This is my personal, consenting relationship with Siri. And if it makes any difference I am male and use the male Siri voice.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I use it for Maps (although wish it would let me use Google Maps).
Think this is set to change in iOS8 but in the meantime if you ask for directions saying "via transit" on the end i believe it then gives you an option to have it open in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Siri is a useful tool when my phone is the only source of entertainment around and I have read every blog and website I go to, texted anyone I might want to talk to, and gotten bored with whatever game or app I might play with. Then I choose Siri. I have conversations with her to see if she'll say curse words or funny stuff. This is what Siri is useful for (to me.) Some people actually use it as intended, but it seems to be a small minority.

I had eased off using siri. Even started setting timers manually due to the hassle of it requiring two presses from a locked screen. I set siri to not work on the lock screen because saying show my contact shows too much information. I would prefer a sparse showing of my contact, just name and phone number and maybe one email that I can set. Not all of my personal stuff :(

so it requires a press to wake iPhone up, then a press to unlock via touch ID and talk and this just irritates the hell out of me because I sometimes just press and hold once and nothing happens.

But your post made me think I should ask her more fun stuff and see what happens, so I asked her where does the word **** come from. I asked because a french lady told me it was due to old days where you had to ask the king for the right to **** and then you put it on your door. But thats not the point. The point is siri also showed me a picture of a women with 3 titties and that was funny so thanks :D

ok the word thats **** out begins with an f and ends with a k

----------

Part of the issue here is probably not Siris fault....its that people dont like being somewhere in public where folk can see them using voice activation stuff like this and its probably not just limited to Siri. Even the natural conversation style of Siri still feels unnatural.

I will use it in the car where its a lot safer or at home in the kitchen to set a timer but standing in the pub asking it to ring my mate because he's late just feels like i'm setting myself up to get slated by those around me.

thats why theres raise to speak = looks like your on a phone call. And if your having issues it just looks like you called a 3rd world call centre haha

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
All the time, despite she is quite slow in language learning and does not understand Polish, so I have to speak in English. I use it to set a timer in the kitchen ("set the timer to 15 minutes"), to set alarms when I need to wake up ("wake me up at seven") or when I take a nap ("wake me up in 40 minutes").

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
I have used Siri every day for composing text messages, emails & even this post.

It's been extremely reliable for me and I only expect it to get better with iOS 8.

Much faster for me than typing (although obviously I don't use it in public).

I'm using it even more now as I dragged myself into the realm of Bluetooth car stereos. By pressing one button on my steering wheel I can now use Siri to access my music on the phone, to make phone calls & to launch navigation etc.

It works very well indeed.

One improvement I still hope to see, but I'm not holding my breath, is off-line processing, as you need to be in a good mobile data area at the moment to utilise Siri.

I think people need to experiment with Siri more as many don't realise that you can use full punctuation without having to type at all when you know the individual commands that Siri recognises.

EDIT:

A couple of other tips for use of Siri. Set it to the language setting of your region. I know some people think it's fun to change it to a British accent if you're American for example, but all that happens is you will get frustrated because it won't recognise your accent as easily.

Also (and I'm not sure whether this is true or not) but I read in the early tech articles that once you have it set to on, do not then switch it off as it loses the learning that it has built up from your own voice.

Pause for a second after the beep before you start speaking & you will find that it is far more accurate. I also tend to speak with a very clear tone with fractionally larger gaps between the words and it gets my sentences correct 99.5% of the time.

Finally I stop Siri manually after each paragraph rather than ramble on for ages.

This entire post was completed using Siri including all of the punctuation and paragraphing etc.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I couldn't agree more. Most of the time I completely forget I even have Siri on my phone. But in the rare cases that I do use it, I'm at home. I would never think to use her in public because to me, that would be a bit odd.

So to answer the OP's question, I use Siri, but very sparingly.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Use it every day more and more. It's tremendously helpful in the classroom when I tell my students they have 15 minutes to review or work on something. I pull out my phone and tell siri to set an alarm for 15 minutes. No arguments about my cutting their time short, or my forgetting that time is up.

With iOS 8 and being able to wake it without touching when plugged in, I find that if I remember something after I've gotten in bed at night, it's easier to holler "hey Siri" and then set my reminder, alarm, or whatever - than to fumble for my glasses and turn on the light. I love this about iOS 8.

It's also awesome for sms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.