Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
My experiences with Apple have generally been positive, but recently my most recent experience with my iPhone had left me never wanting to walk into an Apple store again.

To cut to the chase, back in January I brought my iPhone 5 into the apple store in Burlington, MA to replace a bad vibrator motor. Usually they just swap the component, but in my case they were unable to do so, and swapped the phone instead. The phone they gave me had a number of dead pixels, but not having time that day I agreed to take the phone and they told me I could come back and have the screen replaced. So far so good.

I went in later that week to have the screen replaced, and after waiting an hour to have it replaced they tell me when they were doing routine scans of serial numbers on certain parts inside the phone, they found serial numbers that didn't match the original hardware and refused to replace the screen. After arguing for 30 minutes they finally agreed to "very generously" replace the screen under the circumstances. I left under the impression they would record this on the record because I DID NOT swap components in the phone and did not want this to jeopardize the Applecare+ warranty.

Fast forward to last month and the phone one night dies and doesn't take a charge, completely dead. I again schedule an appointment to have it checked out and long story short after arguing with managers and applecare for OVER AN HOUR they refuse to do anything, except finally they agree to reseat the battery to see if that would help. In this case whatever they did allowed the phone to turn on enough to start charging, and I charged it up a few percent at the store and went home. Since then the battery has still not been right, and the last week the battery percentage freezes at either 100% or near 0%, it is very hard for it to charge (and when it's charging the battery percentage doesn't change until a phone restart) and the phone randomly turns off.

At this point I know I could try getting a 3rd party battery and replacing it (which I've avoided until now because I was supposed to be covered with Applecare), hoping it will solve the issue, but if it's another hardware problem I'm out $500 on a phone. I own a number of apple products and have generally been very satisfied, but Apple has left a sour taste in my mouth after this experience especially because they don't believe there is any way their system could have messed up identifying the serial numbers inside the phone.

Is my best bet to replace the battery on my own and hope for the best or is there anyone else I can contact?

-Unhappy Apple Customer :mad:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Don't know if this is an option.. but maybe try a different store? Wouldn't work if they put a bunch of notes on your account, but never know.

:apple:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Did they indicate which parts were supposedly swapped out or had an incorrect serial number?

There should be an escalation procedure on apples website...you can always write to Tim Cook.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Continue to press on at your convenience, OP. Also, write some of the higher-ups of Apple, especially Phil Schiller of Hardware and Angela Ahrendts of Retail (I got a callback from Schiller's office for one issue for my MacBook Pro that my store wouldn't service, and they gave me the ok to go back and make them fix it). If you let them know genuinely what's happening, maybe even with photo/video documentation as well, that could go a long way in getting your issue rectified.

The possibility of using another store is possible too, granted there's another one nearby.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Call Applecare back and try escalating it up the ranks. I am hearing this story more often coming from people. Receiving a replacement phone and finding out later when they have a problem with it, Apple supposedly claiming parts have been changed by third parties.

Explain your side clearly and do not back down. Do not be demanding either. If what you say holds true, then Applecare should be taking care of this problem for you.

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Update 8/29:

I called applecare this afternoon and explained my situation, and the agent on the other line was much more receptive to my story and elevated the case so I could speak with a senior representative. After discussing the matters with him, he was going to call the Burlington store and arrange for a replacement. He called back a few hours later and let me know he was arranging for a store visit and arrange a replacement. The earliest appointment is Sunday so we'll see if all goes smoothly. Both gentlemen on the phone were extremely friendly and gracious and have alleviated most of the stress from all this. Go Apple. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.