Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harshchotu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2013
I am a resident of India, and would like to buy a macbook air 13 inches, with the 8 gb upgrade. However, in India, this option is not available, and I cannot upgrade it later. So, I am thinking of flying over to Thailand to buy it. Will I be allowed to buy a customized mac ?And if so, how long will it take to get it after ordering ?
Thank you

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
I don't think so, since the custom macs have to be shipped to an address. Unless you have an address in Thailand then you are SOL most likely.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Can you get just the keyboard changed once you are back in India? You could buy the Thailand version and you can select language and keyboard differences in the software preferences so you could use your local keyboard layout without changing anything....it's just that the symbols printed on the keys wouldn't match what you actually get when you type.

But if you can find a repair shop in India that can change the keyboard for you then you'd be set! It'd surely be easier to change the keyboard than to add the memory you want! Just be aware that if it's not an Apple authorised shop that changes they keyboard, then your warranty will be void.

----------

Can they ship to a hotel ?

I believe they will only ship to the address associated with the credit card. You probably wouldn't be allowed to order from the Thai Apple website with an Indian credit card for shipment to a hotel. Your only chance to do this would be if you knew someone in Thailand who could order it with their own card to their own address and then you pay them for it when you pick it up.

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I actually may have misread this. Is just getting the 8GB version considered customised in Thailand? I was thinking this was something that would be in stock, but that you would want to customise it with the Indian keyboard. If the higher memory is customised, then there probably isn't a simple way to do it unless you have someone in Thailand who can help you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.