Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:44 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung Asks NYC Street-Goers to Compare Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air in New Ad

Samsung has debuted a new video on its YouTube channel comparing its new Galaxy Tab S to the iPad Air on the streets of New York City. As first spotted by iGeneration (Google Translate), the video involves a host asking street-goers to use the Galaxy Tab S, highlighting the tablet's display, weight, and camera.

When matched up side-by-side, some users claim that the Galaxy Tab S is "definitely thinner", while others express that the tablet's screen "looks brighter" when compared to the iPad Air. The host claims that the Galaxy Tab S has "one million more pixels than the iPad Air", which is presented alongside small text on the bottom noting the 4,096,000 pixels of the Galaxy Tab S compared to the iPad's 3,145,728 pixels. The video ends with a group of users choosing the Galaxy Tab S over the iPad Air, as Samsung ends the video with the tagline of "Thinner. Brighter. Lighter." before showing the tablet from its front.

Samsung launched its first round of Galaxy Tab S ads last month, which mocked the iPad's screen and lack of multitasking. The Galaxy Tab S was originally announced this past June, with Samsung touting the tablet's high resolution (2560 x 1600) Super AMOLED display, fingerprint sensor, 11-hour battery life, and multitasking capabilities.

Article Link: Samsung Asks NYC Street-Goers to Compare Galaxy Tab S and iPad Air in New Ad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:48 AM   #2
macrumors newbie

Clearly those people are hired actors - they all prefer the Samsung!
271286 is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:48 AM   #3
PhiLLoW
macrumors member

Don't forget it has dozens of apps! DOZENS!!
PhiLLoW is offline   67 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:49 AM   #4
farewelwilliams
macrumors 6502

if this were about people preferring JooJoo over Samsung/Apple tablets, I'd be surprised.

otherwise this was just a waste of everyone's time.

Last edited by farewelwilliams; Aug 29, 2014 at 06:04 AM.
farewelwilliams is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:51 AM   #5
hovercast
macrumors member

jimmy kimmel convinced a bunch of people that his knock off goo phone was the new Iphone 6 and with in a couple minutes they were all claiming how much faster it was lol
hovercast is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:52 AM   #6
Keniutek
macrumors regular

Multitasking alone makes it better. Accept it guys.
Keniutek is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:52 AM   #7
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
It makes me want to buy an iPad...
juanm is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:53 AM   #8
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Let the Samsung bashing begin!

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.
cdmoore74 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:56 AM   #9
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post

Proud Note 3 owner.

Oh; when you guys line up for iPhone 6 don't forget about those Samsung made parts you will be buying keeping Samsung in business.
You seem upset.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:56 AM   #10
tjskywasher
macrumors newbie

I'm getting sick of these adverts, not just Samsung but from other competitors. Why can't they just advertise their products for the features that they have and let it stand on it's own two feet instead of always having to compare it directly with the iPhone 5S or the iPad Air.

And yes, Apple perhaps did start it with the Mac vs PC ads a while back. But the beauty of those ads was that Apple was generic about it, they didn't target specific manufacturers or particular devices. Just shows how desperate the competition must be if they're always attacking specific Apple products directly.
tjskywasher is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:58 AM   #11
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

These adverts from both sides are pointless, (TBF Apple concentrates on themselves) clearly actors or you film for days then take it back to the lab and edit out the iPad lovers. Simple.
I8P'CS is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:59 AM   #12
anarti
macrumors regular

I would say that you buy a proper computer for a multitasking.

iPad was designed to have single task at the time which helps people to be more focused and productive. It's got its purpose.

Samsung is al plasticky as well. This is like buying Ford vs BMW (Samsung vs Apple). End of story.

Btw, people can buy whatever then want. If someone doesn't like lack of multitasking on iPad - he buys Samsung
anarti is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:00 AM   #13
maflynn

This reminds me of the coke vs pepsi taste test commercials done back in the 80s.

Its just marketing of course Samsung is going to edit out those folks who chose the Apple
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:03 AM   #14
Brownsiey
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Brownsiey
Quote:

Proud Note 3 owner.

proud note 3 owner? its a phone (/phablet, i guess) not some kind of accomplishment.
Brownsiey is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:03 AM   #15
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:

Proud Note 3 owner.

Speaking for myself, I don't determine which product is better based on specs, but on the overall user experience. Otherwise instead of a MBP I'd still be using my Xeon workstation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsiey View Post
proud note 3 owner? its a phone (/phablet, i guess) not some kind of accomplishment.
Good point, often forgotten. If anything, it'd be an accomplishment for Samsung's engineers.
juanm is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:04 AM   #16
maflynn

Quote:
No but people are proud of their smart phones, if not, then this thread wouldn't have taken off like it did.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:05 AM   #17
Chrjy
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Proud Note 3 owner.

So what you're saying is, without Apple, Samsung wouldn't have a business...it's a good point!
Chrjy is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:07 AM   #18
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

funny that no one comments about the uncomfortably hot, warping, staining, cheap feeling back plastic
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:07 AM   #19
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Quote:

That's true but remember Apple will be entering that "Phablet" world with the rumoured 5.5". which will be bigger in size than the Note 3 due to bezels, if rumors are true.

He could then come back at you, with you claimed it was big before and you never liked but now Apple do it you like. just saying
I8P'CS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:08 AM   #20
SanJacinto
macrumors regular

One big disadvantage:
No iOS.
It can be as light as possible, better resolution...etc. I don't care.

No iOS. No Galaxy Tab for me.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:08 AM   #21
dilbert99
macrumors regular

very scientific.

Anyone got some stats as to how much brighter the Samsung screen is?
I wonder how much the battery life if when the samsung is on full brightness and if the iPad was on full brightness.
dilbert99 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:09 AM   #22
kerr
macrumors member

Each week Samsung looks more and more pathetic and desperate.

Their volume of ads is clearly a sign that they are well aware of who is king.
kerr is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:09 AM   #23
hovercast
macrumors member

Oh yea and if you ever need customer support good luck on finding the samesung store.
hovercast is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:09 AM   #24
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJacinto View Post
One big disadvantage:
No iOS.
That's for you, but for others, they either don't care or don't want iOS.

For me, I do want iOS. As much as I like the Note 3 phone it doesn't seem a viable alternative. As for the Galaxy Tab 5, I like the iPad better, not just because of iOS but the design and usage.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 06:10 AM   #25
Seandroid
macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I commented this on YouTube as well.

Ads like this are so stupid. I'm sure they work, and I'm sure it's effective at persuading people, but come on. It's not like any company ever would include an actually representative sample of what people preferred... I'm sure people talked about the Samsung tablet's plasticky construction. "Definitely lighter" isn't even always a good thing. It can make devices feel cheap. The "it takes up almost no space" comment makes no sense. The devices cover almost an identical surface area... The aspect ratios are just different. Plus, any person who has ever seen street magic performed knows that it's extremely easy to plant an idea in peoples' heads unbeknownst to them. He's pretty clearly presenting Samsung's device as better from the get go both verbally and non-verbally.

It's depressing to me that this kind of marketing affects people. It's so phoney and requires no effort or creativity. Just an editing room and a good host.

Blah.

It doesn't even matter what device is "better," this type of advertising is just trashy.
Seandroid is offline   30 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion