Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
I bought an iPhone 4S for the Verizon Wireless network on eBay that is supposed to be unlocked which means it should be possible to use it with a SIM card from a different (i. e. German) cell phone provider when being i. e. in Germany.

Is there a way to confirm that this iPhone is indeed unlocked, or do I have to wait until I travel to Germany and then try it?

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
If you have a foreign (German) SIM you can try it in the phone. If your phone is unlocked, the a SIM will get service - as long as that German provider has service or a roaming agreement where you are -even in the US.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If you have a foreign (German) SIM you can try it in the phone. If your phone is unlocked, the a SIM will get service - as long as that German provider has service or a roaming agreement where you are -even in the US.

This is right. The Verizon phones are supposed to be "World Phones" as they have CDMA network and to support roaming in other countries they also manage GSM networks. Germany is a common destination for certain US travelers so it 'should' work...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This is right. The Verizon phones are supposed to be "World Phones" as they have CDMA network and to support roaming in other countries they also manage GSM networks. Germany is a common destination for certain US travelers so it 'should' work...

Actually the verizon 4S GSM side is not unlocked unless you request it from the carrier and then they agree and unlock the gsm side of it.
So without that being done it will not work on any gsm carriers outside the US at all.
And you will not know for sure unless you test it in person.

elvismsmarta

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I bought an iPhone 4S for the Verizon Wireless network on eBay that is supposed to be unlocked which means it should be possible to use it with a SIM card from a different (i. e. German) cell phone provider when being i. e. in Germany.

Is there a way to confirm that this iPhone is indeed unlocked, or do I have to wait until I travel to Germany and then try it?

iphoneimei.info works for me most of the time or just order the Network check from ebay

s.clapp327

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
The way you check is you use a different sim card for AT&T and see if it searches for service. Put the phone in airplane mode first, then pop in the sim, then turn airplane mode back on. If it says no sim or invalid sim, that mean's it's not unlocked.

Another way is to fully reset the device and go through the activation steps, leave the AT&T sim in there and if it lets you proceed to get to the home screen, then it's unlocked. If it's not, it will say invalid sim.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The way you check is you use a different sim card for AT&T and see if it searches for service. Put the phone in airplane mode first, then pop in the sim, then turn airplane mode back on. If it says no sim or invalid sim, that mean's it's not unlocked.

Another way is to fully reset the device and go through the activation steps, leave the AT&T sim in there and if it lets you proceed to get to the home screen, then it's unlocked. If it's not, it will say invalid sim.

A verizon 4S even if its unlocked by verizon will NOT work with any domestic US carrier. Only with international GSM carriers.
So even if it was unlocked you will not be able to check with an AT&T sim or any US carriers GSM sims at all.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

Ok. Look at the bottom right hand corner where the glass meets the edge. Usually, there's some sort of a knob or rectangle sticking up. If it seems to be more down and can't go down any further, then it's locked. If it seems to be up more (and there's possibly some red or orange showing, then it's unlocked.)

r20-car-door-lock-300x200.jpg

Last edited:

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Lol! :d

ok. Look at the bottom right hand corner where the glass meets the edge. Usually, there's some sort of a knob or rectangle sticking up. If it seems to be more down and can't go down any further, then it's locked. If it seems to be up more (and there's possibly some red or orange showing, then it's unlocked.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.