Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-Faust-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2014
Hi everyone. I apologize if this post doesn't make sense or isn't well organized. Let me know if you need clarification.

I recently built my own PC away from home. Now I'm back, but because I wanted my data with me, I took out my hard drives and brought them along.

However, I'm concerned that using the drives on my iMac (through the use of a SATA adapter like this or this - can't decide) might mess up Windows once I put them back in the PC, because Windows has proven to be very weird and finicky (that's why we all use macs, right? :D). Should I be concerned about this? I know that Windows drives are readable by OSX, and that Apple formatted drives are not compatible with Windows, so I just want to get some clarification before I begin using them with my iMac.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
If the drives are formatted as NTFS (essentially the default for Win 7/8), OS X won't be able to write to the drives unless you buy 3rd-party software. This means 2 things, the drives are read-only so you won't be able to save anything to them (OS X can READ an NTFS drive) and because the drives are read-only the chances of the Mac messing the drive up as it relates to using it on Windows are slim.

The only way in which you could screw up the drive for use in Windows is if you open Disk Utility and erase/format the partition or drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.