Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Okay, I just received my Berhinger UB802 and things are not going well. Here is how I have things set up. Mic plugged into mixer channel one, Main Outs (1/4 to RCA) into iMic, iMic into USB on the back of Mac mini.

Last week I recorded some guitar and vocal tracks straight through my NanoVerb into the iMic. So, now that I have the Berhinger I wanted to add some tracks. I setup a new vocal track and praticed along with the other two tracks just playing ... that went well enough. Then I decided to record. The I start the recording, the other tracks start playing it the headphones, I'm singing along and that's coming into the headphones then all of the sudden ... POP ... and my pre-recorded tracks are gone. No, cords have popped out, nothing looks different, nothing has clipped or anything as far as I can tell. This problem happens on both channels one and two. Then I guess it still keeps recording, but I have lost my other tracks and it sounds really bad, in fact I have last all monitoring through my headphones.

I guess that I forgot to mention that I have a cord with a mini plug coming out of my Mac mini that splits into two 1/4 plugs and I have that in one of my stereo channels for monitoring.

Okay, does this make sense, and do you have any suggestions? Let me know if more info is needed...

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
what do you mean the other tracks are gone? from monitoring only, yes? you're not saying that they've disappeared from GB, or are you?

I'm singing along and that's coming into the headphones then all of the sudden ... POP ... and my pre-recorded tracks are gone.
how long until this happens? were you touching anything?

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
zimv20 said:
what do you mean the other tracks are gone? from monitoring only, yes? you're not saying that they've disappeared from GB, or are you?

how long until this happens? were you touching anything?

Yes, the tracks do not disappear from Garageband, they just stop coming through the headphones and the program continues to record. It happens at different times, but always within 20 seconds or so. I was not touching anything.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
ah, so it's not always in the same place. interesting. try this: do the same thing, but mute one of the playback tracks. see if it fails more or less after the same amount of time or if that behavior changes.

also might be worthwhile to repeat the initial experiment elsewhere in the song (e.g. start 30 seconds into the song) to ensure it's not something in that part of the soundfile that's causing it.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
zimv20 said:
ah, so it's not always in the same place. interesting. try this: do the same thing, but mute one of the playback tracks. see if it fails more or less after the same amount of time or if that behavior changes.

also might be worthwhile to repeat the initial experiment elsewhere in the song (e.g. start 30 seconds into the song) to ensure it's not something in that part of the soundfile that's causing it.

Done and done, I had already given that a try and I've tried hooking things up differently (using the tape in and out), but nothing. I think I'll try to see if I can get a different unit shipped out to me tomorrow. Unless you or anyone else can think of any other tricks ... this one is really confusing me.

Edit: I guess I should also add that it does the same thing when I try a brand new project with only one track. Except it just makes the popping sound.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Okay, don't ask me exactly why it is working like this rather than the other ways that I have had it setup ... but it's working now so I don't think it matters.

Here is what I have. iMic hooked up to Mac mini through USB. OUT of iMic speaker mini jack straight into the "Tape In" RCA jacks on the mixer. Then mics plugged in as normal ... out from "Main Out" on mixer into the iMic line input. My headphones and reference monitors are both plugged in (with dual adapter) to the headphones jack on the mixer. I can control headphone and reference monitors with the "Phones" volume knob on the mixer. Everything works normal now and I even have my NanoVerb hooked into the mixer through the effects loop.

Now, I have all the cords twisty tied and cord tied up under the desk so hopefully things will work. I'm going to put on some new Elixers and get to work!!! :) :) :) ;) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.