Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillard92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
I have been an apple fan for years and have owned 3 iPod nanos, 3 iPod Touches and 2 iPhones. Currently I own a MacBook Air and an iPod Classic.

At the beginning of 2014 my smartphone of choice was the iPhone but in March I was intrigued enough by Android that I wanted to check it out for myself. I had owned an Android phone in 2011 that ran 2.3 Gingerbread and was the slowest piece of crap. The advancements in Android encouraged me to give it one more try. I bought a Moto X to use along with my iPhone 5C that had 4.3 Jelly Bean and was amazed at how much Android had improved in 3 years.

Then in July when I decided I wanted to buy a tablet to read comics on I chose Android over iPad based on price alone. I ended up buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0. I've enjoyed using it so much over the past two months that I decided I wanted this same experience in a phone.

So this week I sold my iPhone 5C and spent a couple days checking out both the S4 and the S5 trying to decide between them. They are both great choices and the thing that made me choose the S4 was that I could get it for free when I sign a 2 year contract with Verizon. The S5 was $149.99.

I went to the Verizon store today and left with a free S4, the new $60 phone plan that offers unlimited talk and text and 1GB of data doubled to 2GB for the first year and my number successfully ported from T-Mobile.

I've played with my new phone almost all afternoon and absolutely love it so far. I know I've made the right decision.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Congrats. It is great to be satisfied with your choice.

If you have the money, I would strongly recommend reconsidering the s5, LG g3,and htc one m8.

Just because of money software update, and a sooner update to android l.

bwillard92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
I figured since the S3 got Kit Kat earlier this year and recently turned 2 that the S4 should definitely get Android L and maybe an update past that. Besides if they still sell devices with Android 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 that must mean they still download the latest apps. Is that really the case? I'm not sure.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Great choice! I've had the S4 before and was a fan. I prefer larger screens so I swapped it out for the Galaxy Note series. I have now moved up to the Sony Xperia Z Ultra google play edition. Solid phones and solid hardware. I still have my iOS devices for work, but I always find them lacking after using it for a few minutes.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I figured since the S3 got Kit Kat earlier this year and recently turned 2 that the S4 should definitely get Android L and maybe an update past that. Besides if they still sell devices with Android 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 that must mean they still download the latest apps. Is that really the case? I'm not sure.

You are correct.

I don't typically do contracts. But if I do I like it to be with the newer phones. It's just a personal bias. I am sure the s4 will serve you well! Congrats!

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
I feel you.
Although, android hasn't won me over, the hardware that runs android is very striking. (HTC One m8, among others) I'm not a big fan of the software, but I like the hardware. (I don't think I'll be switching though)

Hope you enjoy your new android powered device. :p

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Congrats on your purchase OP. I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 and I really like it as well. I love the screen on the Galaxy Tab. Sammy has the best display panels. Shortly after my Galaxy Tab purchase I picked up a 1st Gen Mini when it went on sale and I was disappointed in the display on the Mini when compared to the Galaxy Tab 4. It was shocking how inferior the screen was on the iPad Mini. I returned it after the comparison.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Good stuff, I had every apple device but now I'm all Note. Apple is great just don't have what I want from a device.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
The Note 3 is still the most badass phone I have used, I can imagine how sweet the 4 will be

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
The Note 3 is still the most badass phone I have used, I can imagine how sweet the 4 will be

Hopefully it will be more of the same, but with updated specs. Its a winning formula, I just hope they don't get overly ambitious then end up running it.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Have you ever tried the Sony Z Ultra? Haha. Once you go 6.4 inches and waterproof... You don't go back
Yeah that's huge, too big even for me. Although knowing me if Samsung brought out a 6 inch more i would take a look

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
I've played with my new phone almost all afternoon and absolutely love it so far. I know I've made the right decision.

You just got it, of course you're going to love it and think it was a great purchase. That's the honeymoon period, and the wonderful effect of retail therapy.

If you still feel the same way in a month or two, then you know your preference for Android is legitimate.

I enjoyed my Android sets for the first month I had them, just for the change of scenery alone. Being a techie, I welcomed having a new platform to learn and play with.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yeah that's huge, too big even for me. Although knowing me if Samsung brought out a 6 inch more i would take a look

If the mega had top of the range specs like the S or note series I'd get one. As much as I'm trying to stay with a smaller phone, I know next week the note 4 is going to bowl me over and I'll have to have it. I don't think I'll make it to the iPhone 6 announcement :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If the mega had top of the range specs like the S or note series I'd get one. As much as I'm trying to stay with a smaller phone, I know next week the note 4 is going to bowl me over and I'll have to have it. I don't think I'll make it to the iPhone 6 announcement :D
The iPhone 5'5 would make me listen but no way will the 4'7 version. Far too small after using my note. Couldn't go smaller.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The iPhone 5'5 would make me listen but no way will the 4'7 version. Far too small after using my note. Couldn't go smaller.

It probably would be. I'm already looking over at my OH with my note 3 with misty eyes. I might have to take it back from him and give him the S5 while I'm waiting for the Note 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.