Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Hello, this is my first post and first time having this kind of issue so any help would be greatly appreciated. I bought a brand new custom ordered Mac Mini Server from a eBay seller here in the UK. The system specification is in my signature I believe. It was originally bought from Apple UK in May 2014 but has not been opened/used until a few days ago when I received the system brand new with all seals intact. It is still under warranty and has extended AppleCare.

Here's the problem, I set up the Mac Mini, installed all updates, installed all my apps and then took a break as one of the apps (Logic Pro X) took a long time to install. I then waited for the system to cool down and installed a Skinomi carbon fibre protective skin on the Mac Mini. I then went to install Windows 8.1 via bootcamp and when I got to the stage to select a partition I noticed that the second internal SSD drive which I intended to use solely for Windows was not showing up. I called tech support and they went through some troubleshooting steps to locate the drive all with no luck.

So I've been booked in at my closest Apple Genius Centre next week and my question is, having had no experience with this kind of issue before, what will be the most likely outcome? Will Apple replace the system/drive if it cannot be repaired?

Thanks for reading!

RCAFBrat

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2013
Montreal, QC
I noticed that the second internal SSD drive which I intended to use solely for Windows was not showing up. I called tech support and they went through some troubleshooting steps to locate the drive all with no luck.

Sounds silly, but are you certain it has 2 x 256GB SSD? The mini server is available with a single SSD so is it possible the seller misrepresented the mini or you (or seller) took for granted that the server always has two HDD or SSD?

I would have thought that Apple tech support would have had all of the specs in their system from the serial number so I would imagine the more likely issue is a loose cable.

I suggest not opening the mini and waiting for your appointment.

Do disk utility or the system information apps show the second SSD being installed?

Cheers

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ I then waited for the system to cool down and installed a Skinomi carbon fibre protective skin on the Mac Mini. ]]

Can't help with the other issues, but isn't a "skin" like this going to interfere with the Mini's internal cooling?

I wouldn't do it...

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Update on the situation...

Hello!

I have just been chatting to support for around an hour and confirmed with sales support via the serial number that the system specification is in fact 2 x SSD drives. It was also written on the box the Mac Mini came in so I'm guessing it's there but maybe faulty.

I spoke to quite a few people and in the end was told that I would receive a call next week to arrange for the Mac Mini to be collected and repaired. So kind of good news, I guess!

In response to Fishrrman's question, I have a Skinomi skin on my previous Mini which is used quite regularly and is still going strong, touch wood! The only time the outer casing gets hot is when I'm doing a long session in Logic Pro X, and even then it's not any more hotter than without the skin. I'm not sure what's going on internally, but the skin does not cover the ventilation gap at the back. The only reason I put the skin on really was to protect the outer casing from damage should I need to sell the Mini. It looks pretty cool too!

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Mac Mini collected this afternoon!

The faulty Mini was arranged to be collected today from a courier company sent by Amsys who will carry out the repair. I have been given a reference number to check the status of the repair. I hope it's just something simple like a loose cable connection, it was a bit alarming to have a faulty system fresh out of the box.

Does anyone with any experience of having a Mac repaired know if the repair company are likely to assess the whole system or just concentrate on the SSD issue?

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Phone call from Amsys...

I received a phone call from Amsys yesterday around midday, I believe it was from the person who carried out the repair. He said that it was in fact just a loose cable and is quite common with Mac Mini's. He also said that he ran some tests on the system and all was good. I'm now waiting for a phone call to arrange a delivery day for the system to be returned. I was quoted 4-5 working days from the collection day for the the repair work to be done and the system to be sent back to me.

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Good to go!

I got the Mac Mini back on Thursday 04/09/2014 and can happily say that all is good. Amsys included a report of the repair work that was done and they had in fact checked the whole system and fixed the SSD issue which I believe just needed to have the cables reseated. I have now finished installing all of my apps and Windows 8.1 on the second SSD using Bootcamp and everything is running as expected. I even received a partial refund from the eBay seller who has been very helpful in the situation.

All in all it has been pretty stressful but thankfully there were people there to help and I'm very glad it's all sorted out now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.