Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel Quell

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
Last year I tried to buy an ipad mini retina. The first one had yellow on the bottom of the screen so I returned it. The second one was worse. I didn't feel like playing the lottery anymore so I just got a refund and decided to wait until they fixed the problem.

I've been hearing that they plan on laminating the screen to the glass like they already do on the iphone.

Do you think this will decrease the yellow screen uniformity issues?

Thank you for your time.

Lachhh

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Mainland Europe
According to the genius bar, yes - waiting will help. In reality, some have seen it disappear and some have seen it remain.

Generally, no Macbook or iPad I've had has ever had any screen issue, it's always been a perfect white without screen tint or blotches. I personally would replace it immediately but if you can stand to wait and see what happens, more power to you.

EDIT: Whoops, misread. Not sure on that but I'd be surprised if that completely solved the screen tint issue.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
It could, but since iPads don't have a laminated screen already, we would have no way of knowing.

I wish they would laminate the screen, it would make the screen more sensitive to touch, and there wouldn't be dirt under my screen.

Let's hope so.

Daniel Quell

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2013
It could, but since iPads don't have a laminated screen already, we would have no way of knowing.

I wish they would laminate the screen, it would make the screen more sensitive to touch, and there wouldn't be dirt under my screen.

Let's hope so.

I know that we can't know for sure. I just meant on a purely theoretical stand point is it conceivably that laminating the screen will decrease screen yellowing and uniformity defects and if so why?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think so. The Surface Pro 3 has a bonded screen and some people are complaining about a yellow bar on the left hand side of the screen.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
I guess I won't be getting the ipad again this year. Thanks.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the new, new, new, new iPad will be better by having a more consistent screen temperature. But unfortunately bonding the screen isn't the answer.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I guess I won't be getting the ipad again this year. Thanks.

I wouldn't let that stop you. Definitely return screens that are half yellow or with yellow splotches on them. They are unacceptable. But, if you get the book spine effect and it's not too bad, I wouldn't worry about it. You really will forget it's there after about a week of normal use.

But the yellow splotches... yeah, that is just ugly.

But with the new one coming soon, I reckon it's a good time to jump on. I'm going to give my wife my iPad Air and grab the Air 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.