Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pete Chambers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Hi guys

I am currently collecting data as part of my University thesis. I am trying to understand how people interact with the Apple brand and its products via Facebook and Twitter.

I am trying to get my survey seen by Apple communities but I am struggling. I have tried posting my survey on Apple fan pages on Facebook but it quickly gets lost amongst the thousands of other posts and therefore gains little exposure. Posting the link to my survey on this forum and other Apple forums results in the post being deleted for soliciting reasons.

Can anyone tell me somewhere I can post my survey where it can be seen by a large number of Apple fans?

Thanks in advance

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi guys

I am currently collecting data as part of my University thesis. I am trying to understand how people interact with the Apple brand and its products via Facebook and Twitter.

I am trying to get my survey seen by Apple communities but I am struggling. I have tried posting my survey on Apple fan pages on Facebook but it quickly gets lost amongst the thousands of other posts and therefore gains little exposure. Posting the link to my survey on this forum and other Apple forums results in the post being deleted for soliciting reasons.

Can anyone tell me somewhere I can post my survey where it can be seen by a large number of Apple fans?

Thanks in advance

Pop down your Apple store when they launch the iPhone 6. You'll have a big queue of people only to happy to answer your survey.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi guys

Thanks in advance

How many questions is it? What about something like the sites below, then advertise it on apple sites like this one if that is not against forum rules. Check the rules or ask admin.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/

http://www.kwiksurveys.com

Pete Chambers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
How many questions is it? What about something like the sites below, then advertise it on apple sites like this one if that is not against forum rules. Check the rules or ask admin.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/

http://www.kwiksurveys.com

Technically its about 50 questions long, but they are all quick multiple choice questions and in fact only takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. I have already designed my survey on surveymonkey.com but the trouble is that advertising my survey on sites like these are against the rules. I posted my survey via surveymonkey.com on here the other day but it was deleted due to soliciting reasons :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How many questions is it? What about something like the sites below, then advertise it on apple sites like this one if that is not against forum rules.
Surveys here at Macrumors is against the rules.

ADVERTISING/SOLICITING

Forum Rules

Your purpose in joining MacRumors or posting should not be to promote, advertise, or otherwise call attention to your site, blog, product, or business. See this page if you want to advertise at MacRumors.
Self-promotion is not fair to our paid advertisers. Forum posts should be free of ads and promotions that benefit the poster. Legitimate recommendations and requests for help are permitted, but in ambiguous circumstances users without a previous forum track record will not be given the benefit of the doubt.
Rules:
3. Soliciting. You may not use the forums to solicit donations, votes, or participants for surveys, contests, or product testing. Employment requests/offers are limited to the Marketplace forum and subject to the Marketplace Rules.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Technically its about 50 questions long, but they are all quick multiple choice questions and in fact only takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. I have already designed my survey on surveymonkey.com but the trouble is that advertising my survey on sites like these are against the rules. I posted my survey via surveymonkey.com on here the other day but it was deleted due to soliciting reasons :(

Surveys here at Macrumors is against the rules.

Pete, I see your dilemma. What about the Apple forums?

Pete Chambers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Pete, I see your dilemma. What about the Apple forums?

What do you mean by 'the Apple forums' exactly? I have tried posting on other Apple based forums (AppleInsider, iLounge etc) but again it is against the rules there as well. I am currently waiting to hear back from Apple Support Communities to see if they had any insights. Fingers crossed!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What do you mean by 'the Apple forums' exactly? I have tried posting on other Apple based forums (AppleInsider, iLounge etc) but again it is against the rules there as well. I am currently waiting to hear back from Apple Support Communities to see if they had any insights. Fingers crossed!

Yes, the Apple Support forums, can you advertise your survey there say in the iPad section? https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

Or here? http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/general-discussions/

Pete Chambers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Yes, the Apple Support forums, can you advertise your survey there say in the iPad section? https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

Or here? http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/general-discussions/

So i tried the Apple Support forums and unfortunately no luck there either. I decided to just ask their advice about where I can post my survey even before I tried posting the link. My post was deleted for "containing a poll or a petition" even though it didn't. I suspect that because I used the word "survey" several times in my post it was flagged. I have just submitted my post to Apple Support forums again but this time with a little re-wording. Hopefully it won't get deleted this time!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
You might try contacting Ric Ford over at MacInTouch. Use the Talk to MacInTouch link at the top right.

Although Ric's guidelines prohibit "self-promoting or self-profiting posts," he may be willing to put a brief description of your research and a link to your survey if it's noncommercial. You could also try some of the better known Apple-related blogs, like John Gruber's Daring Fireball.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
As with any project you will always have some difficulties that require changing your plan.
Some suggestions are to create your own website with a link to your survey and give some incentives to get a high response rate.
Other approaches could be to reduce the number if questions and still gather the data you need for your analysis.
Or change your approach and gather the dats in chunks so you can use the forums and post one thread at a time with a short survey within the forum to gather the data and discuss the topics.
Other approach is as suggested leverage the next apple event to focus on a specific location.

Can you post the link to your survey or load a PDF with the questions?
I surely monkey you can preview the survey and print it.

Pete Chambers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys, I will be sure to try them out and see what works best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.