Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcanedo92588

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
So I am trying to figure out how exactly to install the iso of my Windows XP without having an optical drive on my late 2012 MBP. I was following an online guide and formatted the partition to NTFS (windows) but cannot boot from disc from the start up since I have no optical drive. Is there a way to create a bootable USB drive image to try and install from that? How can I go about installing Windows XP on my separate partition without the use of an optical drive?

mcanedo92588

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
First off, why do you want XP? It's an EOL OS. But you can modify bootcamp to create a bootable USB by following this guide: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5479879?start=105 this has worked for me in the past with an MBP mid-2010 without an optical drive.

I need to run XP for my Ross-Tech VAGCOM program to work, it will not work on Windows 7 or 8 unfortunately. I have also tried using the XP iso from bootcamp, it won't allow me to even work with it since it isn't an x64 OS. I have a Windows desktop at home, can I use that to create a bootable XP "disc" and make it to where I can format my new partition from the USB drive?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
you need an optical drive, there's other way around it. Macs that come with optical drives cannot load windows any other way.

mcanedo92588

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
you need an optical drive, there's other way around it. Macs that come with optical drives cannot load windows any other way.

My Mac didn't come with an optical drive, it is the late 2012 ssd version. Do I still NEED an optical drive to install the XP iso to my Window's partition? I mounted a flash drive as a recovery disk with the XP iso, it shows up when I hold the options key as "Windows", but when I click to load/install it, I just get an error that says remove all media and press any key to restart. If an optical drive is still my only option, I will probably eventually just get one anyways. Thanks for the help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Use bootcamp to create a bootable USB drive then.

My mistake on reading your post, I thought you had the older non retina MBP.

mcanedo92588

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Use bootcamp to create a bootable USB drive then.

My mistake on reading your post, I thought you had the older non retina MBP.

I have also tried this, but it won't allow me to do this from an XP iso, it only does Windows 7 or higher.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
My biggest concern would be whether you can get all the necessary drivers to support XP via bootcamp on that machine. Even on a 2010 MacBook Air (where apple first discontinued XP support) it was never really possible to nail everything down 100 pcnt and I suspect a 2012 era machine is going to be even more awkward..

Personally I'd give the 30 day trial of VMWare or Parallels a try and install XP as a virtual machine, as it might be sufficient for what you need

We run USB to serial adapters on XP VMs under Paralels on a daily basis without any issues (though the sort of stuff we're doing diagnostics/reprogramming/monitoring of never needs serial connections over 57600 bps).

Only virtualization software I'd steer clear of from the outset on this would be Virtual Box - Ive never seen it play as nicely when it comes to setting up/using USB serial adapters as the other two, and I'd reckon that's the critical part of your particular XP setup.

Oh and one more thing if you're taking a macbook near mechanical stuff, I'd try to get something to cover the magport when running off battery - you'ld be amazed the amounts of bits of metal swarf etc that can find its way into there and get stuck like a limpet round the port. We didn't and have lovely scratches around the mag ports from regularly trying to pick it back out lol

something like this (though only the magport one is required)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-dust-Silicone-Port-Plugs-Rubber-Cover-Set-for-Retina-Macbook-Pro-11-13-15-/371099679120?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item566743b990

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My Mac didn't come with an optical drive, it is the late 2012 ssd version. Do I still NEED an optical drive to install the XP iso to my Window's partition? I mounted a flash drive as a recovery disk with the XP iso, it shows up when I hold the options key as "Windows", but when I click to load/install it, I just get an error that says remove all media and press any key to restart. If an optical drive is still my only option, I will probably eventually just get one anyways. Thanks for the help!

These computers don't support Windows XP, and in fact Bootcamp drivers for 32-bit Windows don't exist for these either. Only 64 bit Windows 7 and newer is supported, so getting XP to work and communicate with your device may prove to be challenging, if you can get XP installed.
I would definitely try a virtual machine first. A quick Google search seems to indicate that VAG-COM works inside a virtual XP environment with VMWare Fusion.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have also tried this, but it won't allow me to do this from an XP iso, it only does Windows 7 or higher.

Unfortunately given the age of XP, I think you're out of luck then. If you aren't willing (or unable ) to upgrade to win7, then your options are limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.