Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
After having smartphones for more than half a decade (mostly iPhones) I have come to the conclusion: Battery life is what counts.

I really like my current iPhone, but battery life is really crummy. I have tried out other smartphones (like the Htc one m8 or the G3 ) and their batteries get me through the day no questions asked. I am a heavy user and there is one thing I demand of a smartphone in the year 2014: Get me through the day without having me to worry about the battery.

I have seen all the current leaks and I like it and I really love iOS and the ecosystem. But if neither the 4.7 nor the 5.5" version will have an all day battery I will bail on this one unfortunately ...

Am I the only one thinking like this?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Seems like a reasonable concern to base a buying decision off of.

No matter how good the phone is and how cool it's features are it's useless if the battery is dead.

I'll admit I'll probably be getting the iPhone 6 regardless but I really hope it's something that's addressed.

I hate having to turn features off and such to perverse battery. Babysitting a phones battery feels like such an antiquated thing this day in age.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Seems like a reasonable concern to base a buying decision off of.

No matter how good the phone is and how cool it's features are it's useless if the battery is dead.

I'll admit I'll probably be getting the iPhone 6 regardless but I really hope it's something that's addressed.

I hate having to turn features off and such to perverse battery. Babysitting a phones battery feels like such an antiquated thing this day in age.

I think battery life is highly individualised and based on what the user does. It's hard to judge battery life based on other people's reviews because your usage will vary.

Having a phone with a removable battery eliminates having to worry about your battery.

I suppose with the iPhone you can use portable battery chargers and charging cases although in the past I've found it quite frustrating.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife is choosing the new iPhone because of the battery life. Not because it has a better battery, but rather, because her iPhone 5 battery is shot at this point. She's in need of a battery replacement, however we'd rather not spend the $$ on a 2 year old phone

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Battery life is of no concern to me as the 5S has had MORE than enough battery life and I would be willing to bet that the 6 will make most of its users happy.

Just as in past new iPhones I am willing to bet that the 6 will have huge complaints about battery life. Partly because people can't keep their hands off of their toy and partly due to iOS 8 still needing a tun up.

The dust will settle and most will be quite happy, the others . . . Well some will never be happy!

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Battery life is of no concern to me as the 5S has had MORE than enough battery life and I would be willing to bet that the 6 will make most of its users happy.

Just as in past new iPhones I am willing to bet that the 6 will have huge complaints about battery life. Partly because people can't keep their hands off of their toy and partly due to iOS 8 still needing a tun up.

The dust will settle and most will be quite happy, the others . . . Well some will never be happy!

Thats not true. I just want the iPhone to have a battery life comparable to iPad battery life (which is basically 10 hours of true usage. )

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I'll be getting the smaller one (the 5.5" is rumoured to have more capacity, we don't know if that will make for a longer battery life) for comfort but expect I'll be getting a battery case (likely from Mophie) as soon as they're out. I'm just too used to the extended life now to be satisfied with the standard life of a new phone, even if it is marginally better than older models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.