Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hires Longtime Technology Journalist Anand Lal Shimpi

After announcing his departure from AnandTech, veteran technology journalist Anand Lal Shimpi will join Apple in an undisclosed role, reports Re/code. A representative for Apple confirmed that Shimpi would be joining the company, but also declined to provide any further details.

Image credit: Anandtech
Shimpi launched AnandTech in 1997 and established the website's reputation around in-depth analysis and reviews on a number of topics from the world of technology, including posts on Apple's line of desktops, notebooks, iPhones, iPads, iPods, and accessories.

In his farewell post on AnandTech published yesterday, Shimpi stated that he "won't stay idle forever" and added that there are "a bunch of challenges out there."

Article Link: Apple Hires Longtime Technology Journalist Anand Lal Shimpi
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:28 PM   #2
farewelwilliams
macrumors 6502

maybe he figured out what Apple was doing and Apple is paying him off to keep hush.
farewelwilliams is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

WTF NICE!!!!

I was so sorry to hear that he is leaving Anandtech, but this is even better!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:29 PM   #4
cg006
macrumors member

Same here,, was bummed reading that he's leaving the site..but this is good news to me!!
cg006 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:29 PM   #5
pat park
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewelwilliams View Post
maybe he figured out what Apple was doing and Apple is paying him off to keep hush.
That's really underestimating Shimpi's potential value to Apple. The guy is smart, knows tech and is respected in the Apple community. I see Apple benefiting from this.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:29 PM   #6
CJM
macrumors 6502a

Haha, wow, that's unexpected. Read his post yesterday, over on Anandtech, and now this! Crazy.

Last edited by CJM; Aug 31, 2014 at 07:40 PM.
CJM is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:29 PM   #7
Medic311
macrumors 68000

as the other poster said - i bet he was brought onto the payroll to shut him up lol
Medic311 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:30 PM   #8
ahlsn
macrumors member

Good for Apple. Good for Shimpi.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

But.... I thought we were only gonna hire women because we need to be more diverse and stuff...???? What of our diversity Apple? WHAT OF OUR DIVERSITYYYYYYYY?!?!?!
Z400Racer37 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:31 PM   #10
itouch rulz
macrumors regular

Arn will be next.
itouch rulz is offline   41 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:33 PM   #11
quagmire
macrumors 603

I've always enjoyed his breakdowns of Apple's SoC especially after the debut of the A6 when Apple began customizing the CPU vs using a standard ARM. Even if I didn't even understand 90% of the stuff he said. He would explain what they meant.

Wonder if they would still be able to provide that excellent analysis or with Anand leaving for Apple we will see that excellent breakdowns end.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:34 PM   #12
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Great news for Anand, he's one of the best.
webbuzz is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Moto G
Banned

VERY shrewd move. Leo Laporte is always singing his praises, and Anand's reviews and articles are second to none.

Well done, Apple - well done, Anand
Moto G is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:36 PM   #14
StellarSoul
macrumors regular

One of the smartest guys in tech. Phenomenal move by Apple. I was totally blown away by his recent podcast appearance on Vector with Rene Ritchie. For anyone doubting this hire, listen to him discuss 64 bit, Metal and the state of chipsets here!
StellarSoul is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:38 PM   #15
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Wow, that is... unexpected to say the least.

I'm going to miss his in-depth articles about Apple's hardware. They are actually one of the things I enjoy most about every new hardware release. Anand's articles taught me so much while I was studying electrical engineering and nanotechnology.

I think we can probably imagine what his role would be. I see him working closely with Bob Mansfield and Dan Riccio on Apple's hardware strategy. That would be perfect for him - he clearly understands the hardware and what the implications of each decision are, and I could see him as a potential future executive (if he's interested in that; maybe he prefers something more hands-on)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:40 PM   #16
cymolia
macrumors 6502

And that will be the end it all for Anand, never to be heard from again
cymolia is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:42 PM   #17
Freyqq
macrumors 68040

He has a real attention to detail and understands the industry incredibly well. He also has a deep respect for apple and was always the one reviewing their products. I'm sure he will be a great asset to Apple.
Freyqq is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:42 PM   #18
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
as the other poster said - i bet he was brought onto the payroll to shut him up lol
While he is a respected tech journalist his reach to the general consumer public is minimal at best. If Apple had problems that buying him off would help with, buying him off wouldn't be nearly enough to work.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:43 PM   #19
whitedragon101
macrumors 6502a

I hope he helps make products more awesome

I'm not quite sure who we can look to for reviews though. He was the benchmark for honest, truthful knowledgeable reviews.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:45 PM   #20
scottrichardson
macrumors 6502

Well this is awesome news. I was pretty shocked to hear he was finishing up at Anandtech. But today this news brings me joy.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:45 PM   #21
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by springsup View Post

I'm going to miss his in-depth articles about Apple's hardware. They are actually one of the things I enjoy most about every new hardware release. Anand's articles taught me so much while I was studying electrical engineering and nanotechnology.

I think we can probably imagine what his role would be. I see him working closely with Bob Mansfield and Dan Riccio on Apple's hardware strategy. That would be perfect for him - he clearly understands the hardware and what the implications of each decision are, and I could see him as a potential future executive (if he's interested in that; maybe he prefers something more hands-on)
This is quite an encouraging thought.

Kudos to him!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:45 PM   #22
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by springsup View Post

Actually the guy leading Apple's chip technology is Johny Srouji. We haven't heard much about Mansfield lately so either he actually is retired or is doing special projects.

http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/johny-srouji.html
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:45 PM   #23
TechGod
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
But.... I thought we were only gonna hire women because we need to be more diverse and stuff...???? What of our diversity Apple? WHAT OF OUR DIVERSITYYYYYYYY?!?!?!
Who said that? They said they need to hire more females but where did they say that employment is closed for all males.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:47 PM   #24
cmaier
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I've always enjoyed his breakdowns of Apple's SoC especially after the debut of the A6 when Apple began customizing the CPU vs using a standard ARM. Even if I didn't even understand 90% of the stuff he said. He would explain what they meant.

Wonder if they would still be able to provide that excellent analysis or with Anand leaving for Apple we will see that excellent breakdowns end.
I'll just do my own analysis and post here.
cmaier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:49 PM   #25
DotCom2
macrumors 68000

He says he will remain as an adviser to the tech site.
How's that gonna work if he is working for apple?
DotCom2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion