Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have a 5s and my wife has a 5. According to the AT&T app, we've used 1.62MB of data today, but we're home on wifi.

The AT&T rep claims that when an iPhone's screen goes dark and is unplugged, it starts using cell data as wifi disconnects. Is this true?

My phone is powered off at night, so it's only been turned on for 2 hours.

I have the 2GB plan, so that's the only reason I'm concerned.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
1.62*30 is roughly 49 MB for the month. You're more than fine... 2 gb is plenty. Use your phone you're paying a lot of money for it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
You're not understanding: there are TWO iPhones and this is the 1st day of the billing cycle and I want to make sure they're not calculating data use properly.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Have you tried looking in settings on the phone to see what apps might be using cellular data (and how much)?

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Looking at just one day of usage is looking for trouble. Check it over a few days. I also think there is a place there somewhere to tell you which app is the most active.

If you want no cellular usage, turn of cell data. That will force it to wifi.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, wifi disconnects after the phone is in standby mode and not plugged up. If it didn't, you would be on the forum complaining about battery life.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
First of all you're crying over 1mb of data.
2nd like mentioned above the iphone disconnects from wifi after some time that the screen locks to save on battery.
If there's an app running or some other activity that sends or receives something for a second or 2 it uses cellular data until it connects back to wifi.
If you're that concerned about it when you're on wifi go to settings/cellular data and turn it off.
Also its not a calculating data issue by your carrier, the phone can use lots of data in general.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yes, wifi disconnects after the phone is in standby mode and not plugged up. If it didn't, you would be on the forum complaining about battery life.

This.

And when its in standby on cellular its still checking for notifications of all varieties. Facebook, email, iMessage, app updates, etc etc etc.

You'll have cellular use regardless of how hard you try to prevent it.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I've had an iphone with a 500mb data plan since 2010 and I've never gone over the limit so you're fine.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You're lucky.
Me and many others can go over that in less than a half hour.

Yep, been there done that.

Its a shame we will likely never see a day when we get unlimited cellular data like we do broadband internet. Its looking more and more like we will be seeing tiered plans for broadband before we see unlimited plans on cellular unfortunately.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
while the phone is in sleep mode?

No, just by using it in general:D

Yep, been there done that.

Its a shame we will likely never see a day when we get unlimited cellular data like we do broadband internet. Its looking more and more like we will be seeing tiered plans for broadband before we see unlimited plans on cellular unfortunately.

Unfortunately that's true.
Those days are over.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
You're lucky.
Me and many others can go over that in less than a half hour.

Oh the memories.
I went through 300MB of data like as soon as I left the at&t store in 2012.

OP: I wouldn't freak out. You have different usage patters from day to day, so I wouldn't freak out over one day.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.