Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icloud_icon_blue.jpg
Apple is investigating an alleged breach of several celebrity iCloud accounts that may have allowed hackers to access the private photos and videos of multiple well-known actresses, according to a statement an Apple spokesperson gave to Re/code.
Apple said it was "actively investigating" the violation of several of its iCloud accounts, in which revealing photos and videos of prominent Hollywood actresses were taken and posted all over the Web.

"We take user privacy very seriously and are actively investigating this report," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris.
Over the weekend, hundreds of nude photos of celebrities were leaked on 4chan before spreading to multiple Internet sites, with one of the involved hackers pointing towards iCloud as the source of the material.

Security researchers have postulated that weak passwords and a lack of two-factor authentication may have led to the breach if iCloud is the source of the leaked images, and it's also possible that a Python script shared on Github a few days ago may have allowed hackers to exploit a vulnerability in Find My iPhone.

As described by The Next Web, the tool allowed hackers to repeatedly guess passwords without being locked out of an iCloud/Apple ID account, brute forcing their way into accounts. Though it is unclear if the tool was responsible for any hacked celebrity accounts, Apple did fix the vulnerability earlier today. Attempting to use the tool now locks an Apple ID after five attempts to guess a password.

Multiple security researchers have suggested that any iCloud attacks may have been preventable with two-factor authentication, which Apple first introduced in March of 2013. The two-step verification system adds an additional layer of protection for Apple accounts, requiring both a security code and a "trusted" device to log into an account, in addition to a password.

Article Link: Apple 'Actively Investigating' Possible Hacking of Celebrity iCloud Accounts

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I love some people were so mad about the NSA violating privacy, but are praising some random guy who pretty much did exactly what the NSA does.

Anyway, I feel bad for the celebs, but typical 4chan.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
edit: starting to doubt this is iCloud hack. Lots of evidence pointing in other directions. We'll see what happens...

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
So now it's confirmed. On reddit all I've seeing is that iCloud was "speculated" to have been the source.

No it's not confirmed yet. I don't know why MR hasn't mentioned it but on The Verge they have mentioned it's not confirmed yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-01 21.18.45.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-01 21.18.45.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 311

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Sad that this occurred. If it did come from iCloud, Apple is probably going to face some pretty steep fines/lawsuits regardless of the password strength.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Maybe if these celebs weren't so careless (and clueless) this wouldn't happen.

I'm sure some of them will be happy they get some mention in the news nowadays.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Earlier today in Cupertino:

Tim – Phil, we can’t say a word about iCloud next week. Jennifer Lawrence is going to go hunger games on our a$$$$es. What do we do?

Phil – Talk bad about Android fragmentation as we always do!

Tim – You’re right! Android distribution numbers are always a classless punchline during our keynotes.

Phil – Lets have Craig do it. We can throw in a joke about his hair.

Tim – Just make sure you don’t use iCloud when saving the keynote. We don’t want the public to know our plans. Oh wait, that’s how the iPhone 6 parts got leaked on the internet.

Last edited:

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
That's a pretty big vulnerability they left open. I wonder if Apple will now force people to use 2 step authentication. As annoying as it is, it works.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

lord knows how many people dont actually know what they r doing and had no idea it was going to upload every pic to the cloud using the photostream feature lol

Mr.Skynet

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
The internet is referring to the incident as "The Fappening". Be sure to tell your grandkids.. You were there.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England

Apparently some photos were "deleted a long time ago". The were probably taken from Photostream, if iCloud was the source.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
No it's not confirmed yet. I don't know why MR hasn't mentioned it but on The Verge they have mentioned it's not confirmed yet.

While not confirmed, the statement from Apple PR doesn't sound great. They should know by now if they were at fault.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
So now it's confirmed. On reddit all I've seeing is that iCloud was "speculated" to have been the source.

Sounds like it was definitely an iCloud (find my iPhone) breach. Also this is why I don't use sites like 4chan or reddit.

It's still not clear if iCloud was the only source, but it certainly looks like at least a portion of the photos were obtained that way.

Mwongozi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Woodside, CA
Is anyone else having trouble logging into the iCloud website today?

My account was working fine until this morning, but now I get "Set up iCloud on a device to use iCloud.com. Your Apple ID must be used to set up iCloud on an iOS or OS X device before you can use iCloud.com"

But my account has been in use on both my iPhone and Mac for ages.

Anyone else or just me?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Took you long enough to post MacRumors. This has been reported by over 50% of the tech websites hours ago.
I guess unconfirmed Apple news from unconfirmed sources are more important to post before something that actually happened.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
While not confirmed, the statement from Apple PR doesn't sound great. They should know by now if they were at fault.

I guess it's better that they acknowledge it and say they're working on it than completely ignore it and risk their customers thinking they don't value their privacy/security.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012

There's no indication at all that the Github tool was used to access the photos (as mentioned in the post), but there's a lot of speculation leaning that way given the timing of Apple's patch.

I've also seen theories that these photos were collected over a very long period of time. Even if the Find My iPhone exploit wasn't used to gather the photos, it looks like some of them did come from hackers getting access to iCloud accounts (likely through phishing scams).

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Earlier today in Cupertino:

Tim – Phil, we can’t say a word about iCloud next week. Jennifer Lawrence is going to go hunger games on our a$$$$es. What do we do?

Phil – Talk bad about Android fragmentation as we always do!

Tim – You’re right! Android distributions numbers are always a classless punchline during our keynotes.

Phil – Lets have Craig do it. We can throw in a joke about his hair.

Tim – Just make sure you don’t use iCloud when saving the keynote. We don’t want the public to know our plans. Oh wait, that’s how the iPhone 6 parts got leaked on the internet.

Took you long enough to post MacRumors. This has been reported by over 50% of the tech websites hours ago.
I guess unconfirmed Apple news from unconfirmed sources are more important to post before something that actually happened.

I think you just want to criticize Apple and/or Macrumors. Kind of a waste of time if you ask me, but hey don't let me tell you what to do.

leventozler

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2009

If Apple didn't have a brute-force protection, it is not celebs' fault. We should wait and see...

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
It's still not clear if iCloud was the only source, but it certainly looks like at least a portion of the photos were obtained that way.

I don't get why people are defending Apple on this one. You sound like you work for Apple's PR. At this point it is absolutely obvious that it's Apple's fault. They left their platform wide open for attacks like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.