Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I will be travelling to the USA in a couple of weeks, and would like to buy a simlock free (no contract, full retail price) iPhone 6. I wanna use the iPhone 6 with my own sim here in Europe

Which one should I buy at the Apple Store (New York)? I read something about AT&T, Verizon and TMobile

nnacrumors

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2014
Definitely go for a Verizon version.

They are unlocked by default and can be used on GSM carriers (as well as Verizon).

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Definitely go for a Verizon version.

They are unlocked by default and can be used on GSM carriers (as well as Verizon).

thanks for your reply. So I should just walk into the Apple Store and ask for a simlock/simfree Verizon iPhone 6. Is this correct?

And I will be able to use that iPhone with my own European sim card?

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
Yeah. You just ask for one at the apple store and pay full price instead of a subsidized one from AT&T, Verizon etc.
you can even test it on the spot just to be sure. Your EU GSM sim should connect to AT&T network in the states.
Otherwise, it will show as an invalid sim.

spriggiepoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2014
iPhone 6 (simlock free)

Do not buy the version one, I live here in Germany and just got back from New York Grand Central Station with 2 iPhone 6's, this is what you have to do. Call Grand Central Station Apple Store 001 (212) 284-1800 and order your iPhone 6 tell sales person you want the T-moble ones (they are the only iPhones simlock free) they will your credit card or debit card number for payment on the phone then you receive 2 messages one to confirm your order and 2 - 3 days later to let you know that you can pick them up, make sure to tell them Grand Central Station pickup

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I will be travelling to the USA in a couple of weeks, and would like to buy a simlock free (no contract, full retail price) iPhone 6. I wanna use the iPhone 6 with my own sim here in Europe

Which one should I buy at the Apple Store (New York)? I read something about AT&T, Verizon and TMobile
Whatever you do, no matter how tempting in price, DO NOT BUY THE SPRINT VERSION!

Full price for a Sprint phone means contract free only and that's all! Sprint phones are locked no matter how much or how little you pay for them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do not buy the version one, I live here in Germany and just got back from New York Grand Central Station with 2 iPhone 6's, this is what you have to do. Call Grand Central Station Apple Store 001 (212) 284-1800 and order your iPhone 6 tell sales person you want the T-moble ones (they are the only iPhones simlock free) they will your credit card or debit card number for payment on the phone then you receive 2 messages one to confirm your order and 2 - 3 days later to let you know that you can pick them up, make sure to tell them Grand Central Station pickup
I'm guessing by "version" you might have been referring to Verizon? If so, that is completely factory unlocked as well--basically the same phone as the T-Mobile one with one small addition that it can also run on Verizon's network too.

----------

haha thanks for your tips. Got mine around 6 weeks ago. The TMobile Full Retail Price
And, yeah, based on the thread and dates seems like this was taken care of weeks ago, as this post confirms. Glad it worked out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.