Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ed Miliband

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
This mac pro:

12c, 16GB (upgrade later), 1TB, D700

costs £6819 ($11,324) in the UK

It costs $8,399 in US

what am I getting for my extra $3,000?

Ed Miliband

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
20% tax included in the UK price for a start, there's no tax on US prices they add it later as it varies from state to state

That makes sense. Thanks.

I looked and it says VAT: £1136.50

So at £5,682 ($9,500) there is still $1000 or so unaccounted for :confused:

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Cost of doing business in the UK is higher, plus the cost of getting it here from the US, plus the prices were set a while ago so using todays exchange rate is a bit pointless.

It's the same machine and it's a little bit more expensive here

Ed Miliband

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I see, fair enough

I know my comparisons are not accurate from a business point of view

But at the end of the day I am a consumer purchasing just one, I look at the two prices presented to me and if I can fly to the US and buy it and save $2000, that's what I will do haha :p

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
I see, fair enough

I know my comparisons are not accurate from a business point of view

But at the end of the day I am a consumer purchasing just one, I look at the two prices presented to me and if I can fly to the US and buy it and save $2000, that's what I will do haha :p

You'll almost certainly get caught at customs if you do that, and end up paying the 20% VAT plus custom charges...you also won't have such good warranty...and you have the hassle of flying there and back which is going to take you a day or two so figure that cost in and it's really not going to save you anything.

merrickdrfc

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Doncaster / Berlin
You'll almost certainly get caught at customs if you do that, and end up paying the 20% VAT plus custom charges...you also won't have such good warranty...and you have the hassle of flying there and back which is going to take you a day or two so figure that cost in and it's really not going to save you anything.

Not if you take it out of the box ;) Might be a bit difficult with a Mac Pro, but its certainly do-able with a MacBook, iPhone or iPad. Believe that Apple warranty is international, but you'd obviously not be covered by the UK consumer laws.

But yeah only worth it if you're out there already on a holiday or something. I recently priced up a 15" MBP while I was in Florida on holiday, was still cheaper in the U.S than it was in the UK with 15% student discount!! Bought it in the UK though due to the AppleCare offer for students

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Living in Greenland I can buy things in Denmark and then get the VAT refund, and that makes it one of the cheapest countries to buy electronics. Except phones, hence I pick up new iPhones in the US, and have them shipped to my friends, who then forward them on to me.

With regards to buying in the US and taking it with you back to the UK, it is doable. I did it many times myself when I was living in London. Easiest with laptops and phones, but the MP, in a proper bag for it, you could claim is used and not a new purchase (upon reentry into the UK)...

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
Not if you take it out of the box ;) Might be a bit difficult with a Mac Pro, but its certainly do-able with a MacBook, iPhone or iPad. Believe that Apple warranty is international, but you'd obviously not be covered by the UK consumer laws.

But yeah only worth it if you're out there already on a holiday or something. I recently priced up a 15" MBP while I was in Florida on holiday, was still cheaper in the U.S than it was in the UK with 15% student discount!! Bought it in the UK though due to the AppleCare offer for students

Living in Greenland I can buy things in Denmark and then get the VAT refund, and that makes it one of the cheapest countries to buy electronics. Except phones, hence I pick up new iPhones in the US, and have them shipped to my friends, who then forward them on to me.

With regards to buying in the US and taking it with you back to the UK, it is doable. I did it many times myself when I was living in London. Easiest with laptops and phones, but the MP, in a proper bag for it, you could claim is used and not a new purchase (upon reentry into the UK)...

UK customs are currently starting to heavily check and enforce import duties on items bought like this, in my opinion you're better off buying in the UK through someone who can get student discount rather than taking the risk to save a few pounds.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
UK customs are currently starting to heavily check and enforce import duties on items bought like this, in my opinion you're better off buying in the UK through someone who can get student discount rather than taking the risk to save a few pounds.

That's not a few pounds ;) That's the price of airfare!

Anyways if you take it out, you're just moving your own computer.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
For what its worth, I always get my macbook pros in the US (I'm American, living in the UK).

I did just bring a Mac Pro 12 core tower through from home, along with a new GPU, in a case, with no problems whatsoever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.