Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Elgato Unveils 'Eve' HomeKit Supported Smart Home Sensors, Hub-Less Smart Bulb

Elgato has announced its brand-new line of "Eve" connected home sensors at this year's IFA 2014 trade show in Berlin, featuring full integration with Apple's HomeKit home automation platform once iOS 8 launches.

Elgato's line of "Eve" smart home sensors
The Eve brand features Bluetooth accessories that monitor air quality, smoke, humidity, air pressure, energy, and water consumption, with all information syncing back to an iOS app. From the app, users can see an overview of the different aspects in their home along with suggestions and tips to better improve the environment.

Elgato's $50 "Avea" smart lightbulb
The company also announced its own $50 Avea smart lightbulb, which allows for custom profiles, colors and alarms through an iOS app. Notably, the Avea does not require a hub like the Philips line of Hue smart bulbs, and can utilize multiple bulbs to coordinate lighting patterns.

Elgato's iOS app for its line of "Eve" smart home sensors
Elgato's Eve line of products are among the first to publicly support HomeKit, which was first announced at WWDC this past June. The platform allows home automation devices and their apps to work with Apple's first-party services like Siri and stock iOS apps using a single, secure protocol. A report from earlier this year claimed that Apple was developing its own smart home products to work with HomeKit for a release in the near future. Apple may also look to feature HomeKit integration in its highly-rumored iWatch wearable device, which is said to "make good use" of HomeKit.

Article Link: Elgato Unveils 'Eve' HomeKit Supported Smart Home Sensors, Hub-Less Smart Bulb
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Wiesenlooser
macrumors 6502

That light bulb looks promising.
Wiesenlooser is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:19 AM   #3
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

So the lightbulb doesn't use a HUB.

Im away and I'm using timers and remoting in from my iPhone. The wifi in my house goes down.

How do my lights continue to work?

with phillips HUE the timers are in the hub so even if I can't remote in via iPhone or my wifi or internet goes down it still looks like I'm home. My home is protected. HUE continues to work.

Last edited by Zxxv; Sep 2, 2014 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added more to hue working
Zxxv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:19 AM   #4
Tinototem
macrumors newbie

I tough that the point of HomeKit were that we did not need all this extra apps?
Tinototem is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:30 AM   #5
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Looking at their website the bulb looks like a poor mans HUE. It seems set up to fail if their is no internet connection. That is if it actually works away from home? being able to switch lights on/off and/or use timers is an amazing feature of HUE

plus does the above bulb in the article use geo fencing? it really looks a rip off at £39 a bulb for very limited functionality.

The video clip on their site is a 7 second clip of a bulb fading up/down. Im not impressed at all. £40 quid a bulb . **** no way.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:32 AM   #6
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinototem View Post
I tough that the point of HomeKit were that we did not need all this extra apps?
The purpose of HomeKit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Inc.
HomeKit is a framework in iOS 8 for communicating with and controlling connected accessories in a user’s home. Apps can enable users to discover HomeKit accessories in their home and configure them, or you can create actions to control those devices. Users can group actions together and trigger them using Siri.

Source: https://developer.apple.com/homekit/

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:57 AM   #7
I am Sampson
macrumors regular

YES! My 3 month old daughter is called Eve.
This may grant this range of products extra "wife approval points".

Or, more realistically only -4999 points rather than -5000.
I am Sampson is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:00 AM   #8
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

ouch, $50 for a lightbulb
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:02 AM   #9
tirk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
Looking at their website the bulb looks like a poor mans HUE.
You have a different idea of "poor" from me then - $50!!!!

Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:11 AM   #10
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirk View Post
You have a different idea of "poor" from me then - $50!!!!

mean poor in functionality and cost comparison. It has less functionality and cost £10 less per bulb - poor mans version. Same old tale of man tries to save money, buys cheap, buys twice due to disappointment.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:26 AM   #11
Wirbowsky
macrumors member

So you install that and you get feedback about the air quality... what do you then about it? Except maybe writing to your local authorities about it.
Wirbowsky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:31 AM   #12
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Finally! I can monitor the air pressure in my living room!
HarryKeogh is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:34 AM   #13
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

I certainly hope these products fare better than the Eye TV tuner I purchased a couple years ago that died after only a few months with no help from Elgato.
BornAgainApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:44 AM   #14
willyx
macrumors newbie

Can't wait for hackers to take control of every house. Appliances and lights randomly turning on and causing huge electricity bills, doors and windows opening at theft's will, alarms alerting the cops for nothing, smoke detectors bringing firemen to extinguish non existent fires... It's going to be fun.
willyx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:50 AM   #15
japanime
macrumors 65816

A "smart" bulb without a hub? Whose bright idea was that?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:54 AM   #16
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirbowsky View Post
So you install that and you get feedback about the air quality... what do you then about it? Except maybe writing to your local authorities about it.
Agreed - my Withings scale has it. I think I looked at it twice since I bought it 15 odd months ago...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 05:58 AM   #17
Mr Fusion
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
A "smart" bulb without a hub? Whose bright idea was that?
The same people who thought $50 for a lightbulb was a bright idea.

Sometimes you wonder if ANY thought is put into some of these products...
Mr Fusion is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:15 AM   #18
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxxv View Post
So the lightbulb doesn't use a HUB.

Im away and I'm using timers and remoting in from my iPhone. The wifi in my house goes down.

How do my lights continue to work?

with phillips HUE the timers are in the hub so even if I can't remote in via iPhone or my wifi or internet goes down it still looks like I'm home. My home is protected. HUE continues to work.
Couldn't the bulb have an internal memory so it at least remembers its last settings without having to be controlled by wifi or hub?
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:23 AM   #19
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
Couldn't the bulb have an internal memory so it at least remembers its last settings without having to be controlled by wifi or hub?
no ones did it yet

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
Finally! I can monitor the air pressure in my living room!
Its the fart game reinvented for the 21st Century. Just don't let Grandma play as she has a clear advantage
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:26 AM   #20
Dilster3k
macrumors 6502

No thank you.

This company has a terrible reputation. Such as selling Thunderbolt hard drives with ridiculously old hard drives inside.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:32 AM   #21
peterh988
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
That's what I want from these kind of bulbs more than anything. A 'set & forget' setup so I can carefully set a perfectly crafted colour scheme which can be remembered by the system, and the lights can be turned on and off at the wall switch, so that I don't have to instruct my 84 year old mother how to use an iDevice when she needs to visit the bathroom.
peterh988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 06:35 AM   #22
markieg
macrumors member

I welcome more competition for lightbulbs, the philips ones are expensive as you need to buy the hub starter pack. The Eve bulbs are bluetooth which quite good to me and at a better price point, although the bulbs are less lumens.
markieg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 07:00 AM   #23
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by markieg View Post
I welcome more competition for lightbulbs, the philips ones are expensive as you need to buy the hub starter pack. The Eve bulbs are bluetooth which quite good to me and at a better price point, although the bulbs are less lumens.
The hub is only £30, bulbs are £50 each bought separately, you get 3 bulbs in the pack = £150 , but pack costs £180 cause you need the bridge.

I thought like you but buying and understanding how it works better than the competition especially if you loose internet makes it better.

The EVE bulbs are deceptive and are not the same function wise, they try to appear to be but they are not. See my previous posts.

yea I know I said hub is only £30, sure it could be cheaper but once you buy its soon forgotten unless your starving in which case you shouldn't buy in the first place (no offence meant) and these EVE bulbs are not in the same league. For only a fraction more you get a way better system with HUE.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 07:05 AM   #24
fhall1
macrumors 68020

For $50 that bulb better be "smart" enough to have breakfast waiting for me when I roll out of bed.
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 07:07 AM   #25
Zxxv
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh988 View Post
That's what I want from these kind of bulbs more than anything. A 'set & forget' setup so I can carefully set a perfectly crafted colour scheme which can be remembered by the system, and the lights can be turned on and off at the wall switch, so that I don't have to instruct my 84 year old mother how to use an iDevice when she needs to visit the bathroom.
Buy HUE tap and set the bathroom visit to the button she chooses/finds best

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion