Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Photokina is only a couple of weeks away so we are sure to see some fancy new gear launched. I'm in two minds here. On the one hand I always like great new gear but on the other it always costs too much money!

Here are a couple of things I hope to see to start the ball rolling:

1) An equivalent of the Sony RX1 but with Sony's new 50MP medium format sensor. I'd desperately want it but find it hard to justify with the gear I already have. It would be my ultimate travel tool.

2) An update of the Elinchrom Ranger (not the Quadra) with lithium-ion batteries, LED modelling light, more power and faster duration. Oh and half the price while I'm wishing...

In reality we will probably get new DSLRs from Nikon and Canon that combine features from other models and a gorgeous yet flawed new camera from Fuji...

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I'm interested in the rumoured Nikon D750. I don't know if I'll be in a position to purchase one if the rumours are true but it's fun to think about...maybe a Christmas gift to myself. :)

I love the D600 but I'm hoping that a new full frame "action" body may address some of the things that tend to irk me adout the D600.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I want them to let me in for free. And I hope the weather is good.

I am not in the market for a new body, but I would be interested of rokinon made a 50mm 1.2.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How many of you are going? A few from work get to go, but sadly I'll be in the office.
Interested in the D750, but let's be honest I'm not going to be buying for a while.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I am planning on going.

I want to go too. Mostly has an excuse to head to Germany again.

Speaking of the RX1 in the OP's comment; I sort of hope they make make it with a better lens. I mean the one already is very good, but you know with an even faster lens.

As for the Nikon D750, not as interested mainly due to the fact that I already have a D800E; if anything I'd upgrade to a D810, but no plans for their either.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I'm interested in the rumoured Nikon D750. I don't know if I'll be in a position to purchase one if the rumours are true but it's fun to think about...maybe a Christmas gift to myself. :)

I love the D600 but I'm hoping that a new full frame "action" body may address some of the things that tend to irk me adout the D600.
what camera are you shooting with?

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Photokina 2014

I am looking to see if they announce any new Sony FE lenses for the A7/r/s.

Cant afford them but I would love a l o n g focal length option!

Sadly as this camera lark is just a hobby, I shan't be going.

K

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
what camera are you shooting with?

A D7100 and D600. Depending on what actually comes to be with a D750, I would keep the D7100 for times that the crop sensor is needed and would sell the D600.

Of course it may not happen at all or there may not be a good reason to switch but an autofocus system smilar to the D4S and better high ISO noise handling would be tempting.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
A D7100 and D600. Depending on what actually comes to be with a D750, I would keep the D7100 for times that the crop sensor is needed and would sell the D600.

Of course it may not happen at all or there may not be a good reason to switch but an autofocus system smilar to the D4S and better high ISO noise handling would be tempting.
I don't think the high iso on the D750 will be significantly better. The D600 is top notch in that regard.
The AF however will probably be the one from the D4s.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I don't think the high iso on the D750 will be significantly better. The D600 is top notch in that regard.
The AF however will probably be the one from the D4s.

You're probably right about high ISO noise. Unless the change from EXPEED 3 to EXPEED 4 makes a difference.

The D600 does handle noise very well but I can hope for even better. I'm taking about birds in flight in low light type thing.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
An EOS-M3 that competes with the top tier mirroless cameras out there right now, at a lower price to help Canon truly break into the market.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I want to go too. Mostly has an excuse to head to Germany again.

Speaking of the RX1 in the OP's comment; I sort of hope they make make it with a better lens. I mean the one already is very good, but you know with an even faster lens.

As for the Nikon D750, not as interested mainly due to the fact that I already have a D800E; if anything I'd upgrade to a D810, but no plans for their either.

How much faster would you want the 35mm to be? At this point, the lens might just become a bit more unweildly on such a small frame.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I am looking to see if they announce any new Sony FE lenses for the A7/r/s.

Bring on the Zeiss FE 16-35mm f/4.0!

Appart from that it'd be nice to see some updated sensors from Canon, for landscapers their new EF 16-35 f/4.0 is killer, but I think it deserves a better sensor with higher resolution and higher dynamic range (such as Sony's 36mp sensor found in the A7r and various full frame Nikons).

Finally... full frame Pentax? :cool:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
How much faster would you want the 35mm to be? At this point, the lens might just become a bit more unweildly on such a small frame.
3000€ for a p&s they could stick a 1.4 on there.
But you are right that this would make it too bulky.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Bridge from Canon

I want to see an upgrade for Canon Powershot sx50hs with a larger sensor, this camera is phenomenal, 50x optical is astonishing & the features are just what I need, small and light, the only problem it has is the relatively small sensor for its size.

Adding a GPS chipset won't hurt too.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
New Canon mirrorless, or two.

Maybe it'll have EFV.
Maybe even full frame.

DSLR is done.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
a gorgeous yet flawed new camera from Fuji...

Please let that be a full-frame X-Pro2.

And I did not know there were non-flawed cameras on the market somewhere. In 40+ years of shooting, I have never seen one. The best you can do is choose the flaws you think you can live with.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Gear Accumulation Syndrome in the making.

----------

looking for trouble mate? :D
:D

Having the extra mechanical, parts, thickness added to the body that the reflex mirror requires... makes no sense with today's high response and high pixel density EFV. Which can even approximate how the exposure will look, like the rear LCD monitors can.

It's cost, bulk, size, and weight which has all become totally unnecessary.

It's a vestigial trait, a hold out from the film era.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
:D

Having the extra mechanical, parts, thickness added to the body that the reflex mirror requires... makes no sense with today's high response and high pixel density EFV. Which can even approximate how the exposure will look, like the rear LCD monitors can.

It's cost, bulk, size, and weight which has all become totally unnecessary.

It's a vestigial trait, a hold out from the film era.
While I agree that mirroless will eventually take over, I don't think it's quite there yet.
Some ff DSLRs (Nikon DF, D6XX) are amazingly small and light. Because of physics the lenses have to stay the same size and a heavier counterweight can be more comfortable. I personally find the mirror less market truly lame at the moment, but I am sure this will change over time.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
3000€ for a p&s they could stick a 1.4 on there.
But you are right that this would make it too bulky.

For its size, the 35mm lens attached to the rx1 is amazing. I have would gladly pay 2k for the lens alone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.