Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azurius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Is it better to use the computer without the charger and let it drain, and then charge it to it's full battery life and continue in that same pattern, or is it better to always have it in the charger. Which option is better for the computer and the battery in the long run?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is it better to use the computer without the charger and let it drain, and then charge it to it's full battery life and continue in that same pattern, or is it better to always have it in the charger. Which option is better for the computer and the battery in the long run?
Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions, including tips for maximizing battery performance. If you haven’t already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It is better to just leave it on the charger unless you need to be portable on battery power. No need to periodically drain.

The official scoop from Apple on this is here and here.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Couldn't see anything in those links that says you should keep a laptop on charge all the time unless you need to take it away.

I use my White Macbook on it's battery, charging it as required, sometimes as low as 15%, sometimes only 60% or higher. The battery is now 5 and half years old and is still at 83% of it's original design capacity.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Couldn't see anything in those links that says you should keep a laptop on charge all the time unless you need to take it away.

The old Apple battery info page had a bunch of business on there about exercising your battery and gave an ideal usage scenario of commuting to work and using the battery then plugging it in when you got home to keep the battery in shape. All reference to this is now completely gone, and all they talk about now is how any battery usage results in partial charge cycles accumulating and eventually resulting in diminished battery capacity.

So the new Apple recommendation does not needlessly run on battery and accumulate charge cycles.

Just a guess, buy I think they figured out this whole "exercise the battery" thing caused unnecessary charge cycles and did more harm than good.

wbjxmDt.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.