Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
MwahahaHAHA...

Of course not.. but I like to buck trends...

:mad:

Seriously I'm thinking of picking one up.. As I prefer the physical size/look/feel of the 4S and can't afford the 5C let alone 5S anyway.

So wondering, what is the usual post announcement price drop??

Any chance of stocks suddenly vanishing??

I do want to stick with Tesco Mobile. The current deal is £23 per month x 24 for the phone and 750mins. This makes the 4S phone £288 today..

Speculating.. how much do you expect to see 4S going for in a couple of weeks..? Somehow I can't see the deal getting much more fruity without going to a **** provider eg, O2.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I wouldn't advise a 4S now, no.

But, if that's your choice, wait until after the iPhone 6 comes out in a few weeks because I'm sure the 4S will be even cheaper than it is now. (Assuming they sell it at all, which they might not. But I'm sure you'd still be able to find a new one somewhere.)

:apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
MwahahaHAHA...

Seriously I'm thinking of picking one up.. As I prefer the physical size/look/feel of the 4S and can't afford the 5C let alone 5S anyway.

I do want to stick with Tesco Mobile. The current deal is £23 per month x 24 for the phone and 750mins. This makes the 4S phone £288 today..

Speculating.. how much do you expect to see 4S going for in a couple of weeks..? Somehow I can't see the deal getting much more fruity without going to a **** provider eg, O2.
Could you buy one and not get a contract? It would be cheaper in the long run if you have the cash upfront. Also the price will drop once the 6 is announced. Stock won't disappear over night if it gets discontinued.

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Spreading the payments does help, but could scrabble together some crumbs to buy outright if necessary.

Apple currently list it at £350 and cheapest reliable source I've seen is £270 at GiffGAff.

Not interested in 2nd hand, refurbs etc.

Based on past form would you expect the 4S to drop to £200 or less.. Is that inline with expectations??

----------

Personally I wouldn't get a 4s on a two year contract today.

I only pay £10 more a month than that with three for my iphone 5 soon to be upgraded to a 6

Is "only £10 more" over 24 months sounds rather like £240.

That's almost double. :eek:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'd bet that the 4s is dropped from the lineup this year, and therefore you'd have to find one from a network selling them or second hand.

If you wait until the 6 is announced, the 5c should drop to the current 4s price, so it may be worth considering that.

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
NO. I have had one over a year, love it but seeing its age in IOS 7 and many apps. If you are strapped for cash, like I was when I got my 4s from Craigslist, AT LEAST try to get an iphone 5. IOS 7 runs MUCH better on 5 and up and would be better for you. I just checked local Craigslist, and many are selling 5's, not 5c or 5s, around 300 or even less. Be cautious, have a person meet you at a carrier store to do the buy and maybe pick one up like that, what I did and have gotten many off Craigslist. How much you looking to spend?

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Spreading the payments does help, but could scrabble together some crumbs to buy outright if necessary.

Apple currently list it at £350 and cheapest reliable source I've seen is £270 at GiffGAff.

Not interested in 2nd hand, refurbs etc.

Based on past form would you expect the 4S to drop to £200 or less.. Is that inline with expectations??

----------

Is "only £10 more" over 24 months sounds rather like £240.

That's almost double. :eek:

Well yes over the 24 months it's £240, but for that I get unlimited data calls and texts and the most up to date phone....I'll also be selling my 5 for somewhere in the region of £200...

And for what it's worth I used to spend £10 a week on credit for my pay as you go phone and that didn't include the cost of the phone...I'm far better off this way

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I just sold my 5s to cover some unexpected car expenses and picked up a 4S. I really missed the weight and thickness of this phone.

I'm not sure what the poster above is talking about. My 4S runs perfectly on iOS 7. The 4 sitting at home, on the other hand...

sandmanfvr

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2010
Didn't say it ran BAD, just showing its age and some games have gotten slower on IOS 7, sometimes the os with many things running, will delay when trying to hit multitasking etc. Maybe my phone sure, but it is aging, but runs good overall. But I still say the 4s is the bottom edge of good iphones right now, why I would suggest this person try to get a 5. But buy what you want and what you can afford.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Didn't say it ran BAD, just showing its age and some games have gotten slower on IOS 7, sometimes the os with many things running, will delay when trying to hit multitasking etc. Maybe my phone sure, but it is aging, but runs good overall. But I still say the 4s is the bottom edge of good iphones right now, why I would suggest this person try to get a 5. But buy what you want and what you can afford.

Ah. Makes more sense. I'm not a gamer so I don't use any real processor intensive apps.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
MwahahaHAHA...

Yeah, use your upgrade
to get it free. It comes with a 1976 Ford Pinto and Beta Max player as well.

betamax-1.jpg

1971-1980-ford-pinto-1972.jpg

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Would now be good time buy iPhone 4S?

MwahahaHAHA...

The 4S is out of date, and is effectively at the end of it's life span, I know people will argue that point as it can still get updates but for how much longer? If your signing up to a 24 month contract there are better options out there than a 4S. Even if it means waiting a bit and getting a 5c when they shift the model range around once the 6 is released.

And you do know that Tesco mobile is actually the very same **** provider as it's services are provided by o2!

As much of an Apple fan as I am, for £23 a month I'd be more inclined to get a better spec'd android device over a 4s now! Tesco really aren't the best deals around anymore... If they ever were before tbh!

Last edited:

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
As others have said, now isn't a good time to buy any iPhone, as you can expect any model that you're thinking of buying now to be cheaper in a couple of weeks when the 6 launches.

However, I think that a lot of people (especially people on tech forums) rag on older devices too much. At this time last year I was using a 3Gs. That's a device two years older than the 4s, and it was still fulfilling most of my needs. If it had a better camera I might have kept it for another year. Most of the PCs, phones, and tablets that people buy today are actually overkill for what they do with them. If you just need a basic smartphone a 4s might be fine. Although, again, if you wait a couple of weeks you might be able to get a 5c for the price you'll pay for a 4s now.

FilthyMcNasty

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
So yeah, bought the 4S yesterday for £260.. and switching my rolling monthly £10 SIM for a £7.50 12 month contract giving same minutes.

So basically £18/month over 24 months, for phone + 500 mins, but can upgrade anytime I like, Tesco will deals withn the 12 months too.. and they have a cap on the bills which means so much to me. Can't afford some random £250 bill from rolling over the phone during sleep. :p

Very chuffed with the 4S I don't know what the fuss is.. seems to deliver good use per battery charge (checked with friend all members of his family have 4S.. they didn't have any problems) have switched off some needless features... also doesn't feel sluggish... maybe if you are using cutting edge games.. not for the music apps I'm using and the interface seems fine, so no complaints from thus far, and I love the heft of the phone and it's construction.. really solid piece of kit for the money.. I do however feel that a case is going to be essential..

Retailer didn't think the 4S would be reduced any further, the 5C might a little, but has already been discounted, and the 5S would stay the same he reckons. Time will tell..

djake80

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
I bought a mint 4S for my girlfriend last week for $120. I'm thinking about selling my note 3 and picking up a 4S for myself until I buy the new 6 (not necessarily at launch). Normally wouldn't care but my Note 3 has horrible reception, is laggy, and the battery would die in 3-6 hours unless I charge it.

That and I just picked up a used iPad Mini Retina on Craigslist with original box, purchase receipt, proof of credit card used for the purchase, and a case for $160...so adding a 4S to that and my MBP should make things pretty seamless.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So yeah, bought the 4S yesterday for £260.. and switching my rolling monthly £10 SIM for a £7.50 12 month contract giving same minutes.

So basically £18/month over 24 months, for phone + 500 mins, but can upgrade anytime I like, Tesco will deals withn the 12 months too.. and they have a cap on the bills which means so much to me. Can't afford some random £250 bill from rolling over the phone during sleep. :p

Very chuffed with the 4S I don't know what the fuss is.. seems to deliver good use per battery charge (checked with friend all members of his family have 4S.. they didn't have any problems) have switched off some needless features... also doesn't feel sluggish... maybe if you are using cutting edge games.. not for the music apps I'm using and the interface seems fine, so no complaints from thus far, and I love the heft of the phone and it's construction.. really solid piece of kit for the money.. I do however feel that a case is going to be essential..

Retailer didn't think the 4S would be reduced any further, the 5C might a little, but has already been discounted, and the 5S would stay the same he reckons. Time will tell..

If your chuffed, that's all that maters. I really liked my iPhone 4, and wish I'd kept it as it was my first iPhone. Still I'll be selling the iPhone 5 in a bit to get the 6.
Enjoy your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.