Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Is anyone else finding MW3 crippled performance-wise on the Mac side? Perhaps not on high-end GPU's, but more on mid-range ones like the 650M? I can play it at 1080p, Ultra settings on Windows via Bootcamp and achieve 40 fps consistently, minimum. On the Mac side, pretty much everything needs to be set to low and it still isn't smooth, at 720p resolution.

I'm aware that games run better under Windows pretty much no matter what, but the gap performance difference in MW3 is unusually large. Unfortunate, since despite it being available on the Mac side, I still end up rebooting to play.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hi,
I have been playing MW3 on my late 2012 27" iMac that has gtx660m 512,
the only thing i have done to this machine is 16gb ram & the game runs on 900p on all setting to high & extra, aa is off & the game runs perfect smooth & looks great, i m sure it might run better on bootcamp with my machine but who will load windoze for that :confused:

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
And there I was assuming it was Modern Warfare 3 ... ;)

Hahaha...yep...got me too. For a second my red flag radar was going off as Modern Warfare 3 plays quite well on the 650M.

Mech Warrior 3 is awesome tho :D

Wait...no seriously...did you mean MW3 OP? Or MW3?

monokitty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Haha, I was referring to Modern Warfare 3. Seems to be better now after messing around with options. If I run it full screen, but not at the native resolution of the display, it seems to stutter like mad. Weird.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I'm experiencing really bad hitching on MW2 and MW3. Mac Pro 3.2 Mid 2010 w/ 5770. Whenever I enter a new area or turn to the left or right really fast (like you do) it's as if it's loading all the graphics right then and there. It's ruining the gameplay for me.

This doesn't happen in Aspyr's CoD 4 or Black Ops on Mac. This also happens in BL2 and Pre Sequel, however.

I sent Aspyr an e-mail about this, hopefully something will be done.

Anyone have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.