Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnLandon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
So I'm having an issue trying to reinstall 10.8 on my second partition. I'm trying to do a reinstall that preserves users and other data so that I don't have to decide what needs backing up and what doesn't. (I have extremely limited extra HD space and I can't afford more at the moment.)

I can get all the way to the end of the download and install phase and then a message comes up:

"An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again."

Just to make it clear, this is not the message that pops up when it tries to verify your machine. This error pops up after all the downloading has been done, so each fresh attempt takes an hour and a half or so. I've tried four or five times now, and I'm running out of ideas. So I figure I'll ask here for some help.

(Note: I have used the Disk Utility to repair the partition.)

EDIT: Forgot the make and model. I have a MacBook Pro, Mid-2010 model. And in my first partition, I am running 10.6.8 in case it's relevant.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.