Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

China Mobile Begins Accepting Preorders for Unreleased iPhone 6

Chinese carrier China Mobile has begun taking preorders for the upcoming iPhone 6 ahead of the device's official launch, reports China Daily. Available at China Mobile Beijing, the preorder campaign appears to be aimed at drumming up interest for Apple's new devices.

On a website, China Mobile Beijing allows users to choose between the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6, but the carrier does not offer images of the device or a potential release date. A China Daily source has suggested Chinese customers may receive the iPhone 6 as early as mid-month, however, which would be in line with previous rumors and past device release timelines.

Mockup of 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 depicted with iPhone 5s
Quote:
China Mobile's preorder campaign also confirmed rumors that Apple will release larger screens for the device as buyers are asked to choose either a 4.7-inch version or a 5.5-inch one. The iPhone 5S has a 4-inch screen.

The program is available only in Beijing and, as of Tuesday evening, had attracted more than 33,000 orders. It remains unclear when the buyers can get the device. A person familiar with the matter told China Daily the first iPhone 6 could be distributed to Chinese customers as early as mid-month.
As of Tuesday evening in China, the campaign had garnered more than 33,000 orders, pointing towards strong interest in the iPhone 6. Analysts have predicted that the launch of the iPhone 6 could see a massive spike in upgraders and Android switchers, due to its larger display and redesigned chassis.

China Mobile, the world's largest mobile carrier with more than 700 million subscribers, first began carrying the iPhone in January of 2014, after extended negotiations with Apple. Apple CEO Tim Cook called inking a deal with China Mobile a "watershed" moment," allowing the company to reach millions of new customers and significantly expand its presence in China.

As it marks an opportunity for significant growth, China has become an increasingly important market for Apple. Tim Cook visited the country multiple times in 2013 and Apple has opened several retail stores in China in 2014, including locations in Wuxi, Chongqing, and Beijing.

Apple is expected to introduce the iPhone 6 at a September 9 media event, which may also include the debut of its wearable device and a payment initiative. Though Apple is expected to preview both the 4.7 and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models, it is unclear if both devices will be available to launch at the same time due to production difficulties with the larger phone.

Article Link: China Mobile Begins Accepting Preorders for Unreleased iPhone 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:47 PM   #2
YoitsTmac
macrumors newbie

I too, would like to pre-order my pre-order back home in America
YoitsTmac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:47 PM   #3
nfl46
macrumors 601

Must be nice to be Tim Cook the rest of the year. Apple is about to my a (s) load of money!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:47 PM   #4
EddiOS
macrumors newbie

Apple should totally open a case about this. Unless they're scared they might lose the China Mobile deal
EddiOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:48 PM   #5
borneo76
macrumors member

iPhone 6 will sell millions in China like hot cake
borneo76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:01 PM   #6
taptic
macrumors 65816

Wow, the features they listed for it are so awesome I just might have to preorder too!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:12 PM   #7
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneo76 View Post
iPhone 6 will sell millions in China like hot cake
You mean Hot CakeS . Did you leave off the 'S' on purpose ?
newyorksole is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:24 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core

Sounds familiar. If I recall China Mobile opened up iPhone 5s preorders before it was announced that it would come to them.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:35 PM   #9
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

iPhone 6 will take back all the switchers that are currently unhappy with androids or as Tim Cook said "made a mistake". It'll also take all the people who are on the fence and people who have to stuck with androids because they want a big screen.

An upward spike for iPhone but a downward spike for androids. It won't be a pretty picture for androids
lincolntran is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:36 PM   #10
NIKKG
macrumors member

If the 5.5 is real, I'll give up my Note 3 for it.
NIKKG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 09:59 PM   #11
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddiOS View Post
Apple should totally open a case about this. Unless they're scared they might lose the China Mobile deal
A case about what? The world knows the iPhone 6 is coming. If a company who will have product to sell wants to take pre-orders, what's the problem? Now, if they got inventory, and sold that early, that would be an issue. But taking a pre-order, nothing to see there. Or maybe the Chinese government wants to know who is buying one so they can wire tap them now before they get a 6.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:09 PM   #12
Sonmi451
macrumors 6502

I had a friend text me the other day asking if he could pre-order an iPhone 6. I think I did a literal facepalm.
Sonmi451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:19 PM   #13
cariacou
macrumors regular

If only Apple could get mad at them over disclosing the NDA.

Unfortunately even Apple can't say no to China.
cariacou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Doctor Q
Administrator

Will iFixit go to China or New Zealand to get theirs before the rest of us?

They'll probably have an iPhone 6 disassembled before the second customer gets theirs!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:26 PM   #15
alphaod
macrumors Core

Mmmm... I'll had my iPhone before you guys
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:53 PM   #16
Solver
macrumors 6502

Do they ask how much built-in memory the customer wants?
Solver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:54 PM   #17
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
My guess is that it was simply an honest mistake. If you look at the member's profile, you would see he or she lives in Indonesia. Not everyone here is a native English speaker.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 01:02 AM   #18
iZac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
He's waiting for the iPhone 6s to add the S :P

On topic, this is about the only way you can buy it in China, because basically people can't be trusted to form an orderly queue here. The Apple Stores will have email lottery every day to stop people causing civil disobedience.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 01:04 AM   #19
Bazooka-joe
macrumors 6502

The Chinese market will be huge for Apple and no doubt they will be included in the first traunch of countries along with the US and UK. I just hope there will be enough phones to go around as I can't help thinking that China will be a priority market
Bazooka-joe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 01:50 AM   #20
maplingstorie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKKG View Post
If the 5.5 is real, I'll give up my Note 3 for it.
hehe me too
maplingstorie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 01:52 AM   #21
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka-joe View Post
The Chinese market will be huge for Apple and no doubt they will be included in the first traunch of countries along with the US and UK. I just hope there will be enough phones to go around as I can't help thinking that China will be a priority market
I know this is unlikely to happen, but can you imagine the uproar here if Tim decided to release the iPhone 6 a couple of weeks earlier in China than the US and Europe. 😮
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 02:10 AM   #22
ska916jedi
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplingstorie View Post
hehe me too
And me three! I was thinking of getting the Note 4 but not if this is true. 5.5 will bring me back to the original team lol
ska916jedi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 02:49 AM   #23
iZac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
I know this is unlikely to happen, but can you imagine the uproar here if Tim decided to release the iPhone 6 a couple of weeks earlier in China than the US and Europe. 😮
[sarcasm] Ugh, the line out of the Beijing Apple Store will be filled with American scalpers buying up 5 units each to export back home to their own Countries. Go home scalpers! [/sarcasm]
Old Sep 3, 2014, 03:36 AM   #24
bushido
macrumors 603

T-Mobile in Germany has been doing it for over a month now. however they didnt mention what phone it is but everyone knows as they do it every year
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2014, 05:09 AM   #25
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
T-Mobile in Germany has been doing it for over a month now. however they didnt mention what phone it is but everyone knows as they do it every year

Meanwhile, Smartone Hong Kong:

"Excited about the flagship smartphones which will launch in the coming weeks? Now you can secure your place before others for upcoming flagship smartphone by getting a RED Pass.

RED Pass is issued on a first-come, first-served basis and represents your position in line. It does not require any commitment on your part.

The earlier you get your RED Pass, the closer you are to the front of the queue. So like us on Facebook and get your RED Pass now!"
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB

Last edited by haruhiko; Sep 3, 2014 at 05:15 AM.
haruhiko is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion