Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I would be impressed once they bring a rolled display to market (didn't they had a prototype shown some years back). You can pull the display to the required size of a task. Something like 7" maximum size but also ok with only 3" or 5". Hopefully with adaptive energy supply.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung Galaxy Note Edge to be unveiled alongside Galaxy Note 4 - http://www.talkandroid.com/218277-samsung-galaxy-note-edge-to-be-unveiled-alongside-galaxy-note-4/

Edge to debut with note 4 it seems

meh... yeah, kind of expected it with some of leaks and prototypes that have been going around last number of months.

Just seems what you can actually do with that space is extremely limited and gimmicky to be perfectly honest. A nice 'show off' thing to your friends but something you'd likely forget about using and slowly bug you after about a week.

Add fact you'll never be able to use a screen protector with it because they hate curved screens and such, and chances of scratching a curved screen in your pocket must be greater.

Nice for samsung to do something like that, but I would personally have gone for cool new S-Pem applications and support rather than another sidelined gimmicky niche device.

But just my opinion.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
meh... yeah, kind of expected it with some of leaks and prototypes that have been going around last number of months.

Just seems what you can actually do with that space is extremely limited and gimmicky to be perfectly honest. A nice 'show off' thing to your friends but something you'd likely forget about using and slowly bug you after about a week.

Add fact you'll never be able to use a screen protector with it because they hate curved screens and such, and chances of scratching a curved screen in your pocket must be greater.

Nice for samsung to do something like that, but I would personally have gone for cool new S-Pem applications and support rather than another sidelined gimmicky niche device.

But just my opinion.

Agreed. I don't think that this will do very well.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Agreed. I don't think that this will do very well.
I don't think it will do well either. But at the same time...it is something different. Maybe a step in the right direction around trying something new as far as screens go. If something like this leads to say a foldable bendable screen down the line.....then I'm all for it. Baby steps i guess....incremental changes.

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I actually like it. It's interesting. Can't wait to see the in depth reviews about it.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010

But just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly, actual usage of the curved area seems extremely limited. This is generally how Samsung does things though, they release the flagship that they know will sell, and then throw some gimmicky crap at the wall and see if anything sticks. If they've got the cash to burn on R&D then maybe they'll eventually stumble across an idea that is more than just a gimmick.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Typical Samsung philosophy--do it because we can, not necessarily because we should. Not hating on Samsung as in the least, they are pushing tech forward. A quote from Android Central's brief hands-on said it perfectly though as the Note Edge '... happens to function as a brilliant tech demo that shows off Samsung's prowess in creating unique displays." Even they state that this unique element likely creates compromises in typical smartphone use.

Elements/compromises I noticed during their brief few minute hands on:

- Hope you're don't prefer to use your S-Pen left handed as holding it with your right hand seems problematic due to accidental touches

- Samsung moved the camera controls to the top of the display along that curved strip in landscape mode, make it a huge reach to use them.

- Because of the design, no metal frame as found on the Note 4

- Power button on top--a huge con on such a large device

Why wouldn't Samsung make the design symmetrical and have that waterfall type design on both sides, and then implement a software solution to recognize inadvertent touches?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I didn't even think about the left handedness of it.

I just think it's stupid for it being a device you're going to be drawing and writing on. Maybe if your thumb could reach whatever options on the side while you're using the pen, but our hands don't work like that.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder if it will be on all of the time? If I have to press a button to activate it then it just lost any iota of usefulness IMO. If it's on all of the time it would be nice to just glance at when sitting at my desk, although I guess that's what I'm getting a smartwatch for.

Man it's kind of sad to see how intensely addicted we are to our phones.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It probably flashes when a notification pops up. You could probably set it up so it doesn't timeout though.

Man it's kind of sad to see how intensely addicted we are to our phones.

See, I think Apple is leading the way on getting us away from that.

Right now I'm in my living room, using my iPad. My iPhone is in my room on my desk. I get my iMessages and email and am fine with that.

When iOS 8 comes out, I'll be able to answer calls, so it will keep me even further away from my phone.

But in general, I have stopped immediately grabbing my phone whenever I get a notification, unless it's a text message. It also stays in my pocket when I'm sitting at the table with other people.

And the other day I forced my brother to put his away. I told him that "You're only 12, nothing your friends are texting you about is so important that you have to stop whatever you're doing and respond to it."

The majority of us can fix this urge. It's wanting to stop to begin with that is the hardest first step to make.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It probably flashes when a notification pops up. You could probably set it up so it doesn't timeout though.

Right now I'm in my living room, using my iPad. My iPhone is in my room on my desk. I get my iMessages and email and am fine with that.

When iOS 8 comes out, I'll be able to answer calls, so it will keep me even further away from my phone.

But in general, I have stopped immediately grabbing my phone whenever I get a notification, unless it's a text message. It also stays in my pocket when I'm sitting at the table with other people.

And the other day I forced my brother to put his away. I told him that "You're only 12, nothing your friends are texting you about is so important that you have to stop whatever you're doing and respond to it."

The majority of us can fix this urge. It's wanting to stop to begin with that is the hardest first step to make.

I'm at my office with my phone on my desk. Suddenly my phone rings, the curved 2nd screen lights up, my smartwatch lights up, and my smartring lights up as well, not to forget my PC and tablet also lighting up, all with the same caller information. It's so overwhelming I have a heart attack and get rushed to the hospital. :eek:

Gahh, I know I had a point in there somewhere.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I can do all of this already. However I totally agree. We are too addicted to our technology and it's not a good thing.

As for the edge, I love the concept. Maybe next year I'll be ready to commit to a device like this. For now the regular note 4 will suffice.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Lets get some pics of it here, oh and they have made a case that leaves the side display visible.

galaxynoteedge-lead.jpg

P9013789.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-edge-02.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-edge-10.jpg

samsung-galaxy-note-edge-19.jpg

Last edited:

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Is it me or do I find the edge awkward? Besides looking kinda cool, I don't really see how the edge screen can help with everyday tasks. Perhaps too early to tell but I don't see it. Plus it would be annoying if you accidentally touched the edge screen and launched an app you didn't intend on launching.

Samsung make a curved edge screen just for the sake of it... because we can.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
At first i thought it was a gimmick but after some thought I actually like the Edge.
I tend to leave me phone on my desk next to me and with the way you can use the edge to read notifications, it will be a nice way to read without having to pick up the phone.

I'm hoping there will be some reviews out before it becomes available so that I can solidify my choice for it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
At first i thought it was a gimmick but after some thought I actually like the Edge.
I tend to leave me phone on my desk next to me and with the way you can use the edge to read notifications, it will be a nice way to read without having to pick up the phone.

I'm hoping there will be some reviews out before it becomes available so that I can solidify my choice for it.

But can't you see notifications if your phone screen lights up? In this scenario I don't see the difference.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
But can't you see notifications if your phone screen lights up? In this scenario I don't see the difference.

Yes but the screen usually does not display the entire message and times out too fast. The edge (I'm assuming here) would scroll the entire message along so that it could be read.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
If they can get the notifications displaying across that edge, it will get interesting. However, it wont matter as my new GN Edge will be totally covered by an Otterbox because I drop it all the time.

cebseb

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Yes but the screen usually does not display the entire message and times out too fast. The edge (I'm assuming here) would scroll the entire message along so that it could be read.

A scrolling ticker would be amazing! This would make it less obvious when I check my email or text during a meeting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.