Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_ifoyucouldsee-250x314.jpg
Apple's upcoming "iWatch", reportedly set to be unveiled at next Tuesday's media event, will include near field communications (NFC) technology, according to The Wall Street Journal. The technology, which has already been seen on a leaked iPhone 6 logic board, will likely be used to support a mobile payments initiative.
NFC wireless is central to Apple's plans to incorporate so-called tap-to-pay into its mobile devices, allowing users to pay for goods and services using credit cards stored with iTunes, people close to Apple said.
The report goes on to claim the iWatch will be available in two sizes and carry a curved OLED display. And as extensively rumored, the device will include a variety of health and fitness sensors.

The report also reiterates recent claims that while the iWatch will be unveiled next week, it will not begin shipping until somewhat later, perhaps not until early 2015.
People familiar with Apple's plans said it is unlikely that Apple will release the smartwatch this year, because the Cupertino, Calif., company is still working out engineering kinks in production. Earlier in the year, Apple had targeted a November release, these people said.

One person familiar with Apple's suppliers said there is "no way" that it will be able to ship the iWatch this year. However, Apple hasn't changed its timetable for component suppliers that are shipping parts as scheduled to Taiwan's Quanta Computer Inc., the proposed device's manufacturer.
Sources indicate Apple will accept pre-orders for the iWatch, but timing and pricing are unknown. A previous report from Re/code claimed Apple has been weighing pricing in the $400 range, although some models would be cheaper.

(Image: iWatch concept from ifyoucouldseethefuture.com)

Article Link: iWatch With Curved OLED Display to Include NFC for Mobile Payments

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I hope so! This is where NFC for mobile payments SHOULD be. If I have to pull my phone out of my pocket, why not just pull out my wallet?

Waving my wrist seems more efficient.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I'll be definitely watching out for this, only time will tell if it'll be good.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I would love to be able to pay for stuff by just tapping my watch at checkout. Can't wait for 9/9!

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Isn't anyone wearing one going to be the object of ridicule? Like wearing a calculator watch?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I believe this one, it's from the WSJ. And I think it will be a mini version of iOS, icons and all.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I can see Apple doing a long, curved OLED screen that blends into the bezel so that when it's off it looks like a simple, black band.

And since it's OLED, doesn't that mean that only certain pixels can light up, so it can always show the time, slightly like the Moto X? Or is that AMOLED?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple hired people from Tag Heurer and St. Laurent to work on the iWatch.

I seriously doubt this is the final product.

Then again maybe Jony Ive looked to Braun for "Inspiration"

braun-watch-collection-6.jpg

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
How does Touch ID come into play?

Wasn't the whole thing about Touch ID was to use it for mobile payments?

How is that going to work on a watch?

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
And everyone will be shocked when it comes out because its called "Apple Watch" not "iWatch". Like the Apple TV, "Apple Watch".

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Seems odd that Apple would introduce a new product if they are still having manufacturing issues. It would be embarrassing if they have to redesign some aspect of it before launch.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I hope so! This is where NFC for mobile payments SHOULD be. If I have to pull my phone out of my pocket, why not just pull out my wallet?

Waving my wrist seems more efficient.

Problem with wallet has never been about convenience, but the fact nearly anyone can use it without needing a PIN in the US. Heck, my debit card is almost more secure since I do need a PIN for charges over a certain amount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.