Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_set.jpg
Adding to this morning's report from The Wall Street Journal pointing towards a curved OLED screen for Apple's upcoming "iWatch", The New York Times has released several details about the wearable device, suggesting it will have a flexible display and wireless charging capabilities.

Echoing past rumors, The New York Times says the iWatch will come in two separate sizes, focusing on health/fitness and mobile computing tasks, and that it will allow people to make purchases with included NFC support. Its flexible display is described as "unique," and Apple is said to have settled on wireless charging after a failed experiment with solar charging.
It has a flexible display panel that is protected by a cover composed of sapphire, a type of tougher glass, they said. The device's circuit board, which includes its sensors and chips, was described as tiny, about the size of a postage stamp.

For replenishing the battery, the smartwatch will rely on a wireless charging method. Apple had at one point tested solar charging for the watch, but that experiment failed.
According to unnamed employees who spoke to The New York Times, Apple's iWatch is "one of Apple's most ambitious projects to date," with an "enormous" amount of time and money put into the health and fitness sensors in the device, which will be "much more" accurate than existing fitness devices. Rumors have suggested the iWatch will measure an array of different health-related metrics, from steps taken and sleep quality to blood pressure.

The iWatch is said to take advantage of HealthKit, a set of APIs Apple introduced alongside iOS 8 that will integrate into existing health devices and apps, reporting data to a central location. It's also going to rely on Handoff, a Continuity feature that lets users seamlessly transition tasks from one iOS or Mac device to another.

The report also echoes a litany of rumors that have suggested Apple's wearable device will not be available for purchase until 2015, despite Apple's plans to unveil the iWatch at its September 9 media event. The gap between the introduction of the iWatch and its debut will give Apple time to finish work on the device as well as provide an opportunity for developers to create new apps suited to the smaller form factor.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: Apple's 'iWatch' to Feature Flexible Display, Wireless Charging

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
The device's circuit board, which includes its sensors and chips, was described as tiny, about the size of a postage stamp.

Not good news for those predicting that the device would stand on its own without being teathered to an iPhone.

Apple was never going to make a wearable the size that would be required for iPhone-like capabilities.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If the watch can have wireless charging, why not the iPhone 6?
The Broadcom chip is out there - and suspiciously Broadcom gave a hint at the BCM4358 chip as shipping by end of September.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Damn..

I dont wear watches, have no interest in watches, can't see spending money on a watch. If this thing is that cool, Im thinking I'm gonna be buying a watch this fall.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
After seeing everyone and their dog release a smartwatch in the past year, preempting Apple, this bit of news has piqued my interest.

Last edited:

gleepskip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Carrying around a tracking device in my pocket is enough for me. I'm not as keen as I once would have been to let entities of out my control have access to *even more* data about me.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
People are concentrating on the screen itself too much.

I can see the wrist strap itself having sensors. The wrist area is an area with a lot of nerves. BP , Heart rate , body temp.,

Lot's of sensors in those nerves.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So that means if I want to keep my watch on and charge it, I'll have to hold or leave my arm over a charging pad. Probably during the night when I usually charge up my iDevices.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Rather have 3-6 ft range wireless charging then having to plug a cord in it . a very low power 20nm SoC custom designed iWatch processor by Apple , its gonna blow away these Snapdragon 400 cores they use in Android Wear watches and have much more power efficiency,

Plus with a use of OLED screen in the iWatch, maybe the watch interface will be darked themed mostly and that is where OLED would be fantastic in that situation with producing blacks, IMO watches should have a darker themed GUI , puts alot less strain on the screen, obviously cant always be a darker theme all the time (in sunlight, etc) but im just saying.

BerMuc

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
The only feature I wish for a wearable is wireless charging within a close proximity. The phone should recognize when the wearable is low on battery and then start charging it wireless. If the phones battery drops under a specific threshold, stop charging the secondary device. You could even make it nice and have hourly charging pulses send to the watch...But i guess i have to wait for such things a little longer...

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Genuine question: What is so exciting about this? What features are people looking forward to with this "iWatch"? Health monitoring? Is that it?

Or is it one of those "because Apple" things?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
So that means if I want to keep my watch on and charge it, I'll have to hold or leave my arm over a charging pad. Probably during the night when I usually charge up my iDevices.

Many high-end watches have used kinetic energy charging for years. The question is, is that type of technology enough to keep this thing charged given the power that it requires to operate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.